Nine Hundred Owners...thought of this?

sabregen

Fully [H]
I have a Nine Hundred, I have modded it, and posted in the "Rate my Cables," and the other applicable mod threads. Here's a concept photo, using Nine Hundred case, and dual raptor X's in RAID-0. You'll have to use right angle SATA connections to pull it off, and the end result I am going for is a plexi custom cage, sprayed matte black on the backside, and embed some LED's (4 per drive...2 on each side) in the plexi. You won't necessarily have to lose the two intake fans, but instead, put them behind the raptor X's, to pull the heat from them, and keep the same number of fans. Of course, this will require that you also make plans to create a mount for the fans as well. It should be a fairly easy mod to pull off. I have the Raptors (they're in the FS thread, but if they don't sell, I'm keeping them). What do you guys think? I have yet to draw the plexi cage plans yet.

Please give suggestions on how to get the best lighting effect from the LEDs, in the plexi. I was planning on drilling out holes for the LED's on the backside (inside) of the case, and hooking them up to the HDD activity header. If you have any suggestions on resistors, particular LEDs to use, please LMK. This is by far a very rough sketch, but you'll see what I'm going for. I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks, and excuse my crappy MS Paint mock-up. If you can suggest a 3D modelling program where I can create it all to scale, that's not terribly involved, please let me know.

nine_hundred_mod.jpg

I would suggest Sketchup. Mysterae turned me onto this program from his parallel HEX worklog thread. It took me 2 or so hours to get used to it, and less than a week to get proficient at it. Now I make crap all the time. It's pretty addictive if you get an involved project to work on it.

I'm stuck using my old PII 300 right now. :mad: It's all I have. Laptop crashed hard, new system parts coming this week.

Anyways, if I was on a competent system I could probably mock up that case in about 2 minutes. You'll not regret getting/learning that program. Best of all it's got a free version that's completely full featured..

http://sketchup.google.com/download.html

Stay away from the Pro version. It's 500 dollars.

I would suggest Sketchup. Mysterae turned me onto this program from his parallel HEX worklog thread. It took me 2 or so hours to get used to it, and less than a week to get proficient at it. Now I make crap all the time. It's pretty addictive if you get an involved project to work on it.

I'm stuck using my old PII 300 right now. :mad: It's all I have. Laptop crashed hard, new system parts coming this week.

Anyways, if I was on a competent system I could probably mock up that case in about 2 minutes. You'll not regret getting/learning that program. Best of all it's got a free version that's completely full featured..

http://sketchup.google.com/download.html

Stay away from the Pro version. It's 500 dollars.

that mod is awesome, I subscribed to it as well. thanks for the tip on the prog, and suggestions on the mod itself?

I would suggest putting the coolermaster stacker crossflow down either side and have them blow air from the front sides of the case into the rest of the chassis...then place a 120mm fan on the bottom front of the case blowing air up to cool the raptors in front.

unfortunately, i am considering doing that, but I happen to be the minority...I don't think CoolerMaster makes anything worth a damn. And yeah, I really am that opinionated. Any other manufacturer suggestions on that style fan, though?

You should check out Lian Li... quality is superb... Nice paint mockup.. If i did that it would look like a box... drawn with crayons.. by a 2 year old..

Back