Dell 2407WFP developing stuck pixels

guyjr

n00b
First post here, and unfortunately it isn't about high praise, but rather disbelief at what I've experienced with the Dell 2407WFP 24" monitor in the last 4 weeks. You can read a more detailed post on the Dell Display forum, but suffice it to say that of the 4 monitors I've had over the last 4 weeks, _3_ of them have developed stuck pixels _after_ I thoroughly inspected them upon arrival, insuring they were stuck pixel free. Unbelievably, the stuck pixels showed up at random times days after I started using the monitor, and of course no attempts on my part to fix the problem using the various solutions out there (rubbing, running dead pixel eliminator flashing programs, etc) brings these little buggers back to life.

So I'm going to attempt to fight with Dell returns when I get home, and get both of the monitors I currently have returned for a full refund. In the meantime, I've been researching for a replacement, and it looks like the BenQ 24" is the best one to go with, but may be hard to come by in the U.S. I see this company NCIX out of Canada has them, including the 1:1 pixel mapping firmware, and they also have a zero dead pixel guarantee you can purchase along with the monitor. Is there anywhere in the U.S. that has a similar offer, or at least decent enough customer support that would allow a return in the event of similar problems like I've had with the Dell?

Also... how good really is the Gateway 24" monitor? That's the only one any of my local stores carry in-stock (Best Buy, Circuit City, or CompUSA), and I would go with that if it was comparable to the Dell / BenQ. Only issue I've read is about a "smearing" problem, but honestly I can't figure out what that even means, unless it refers to a slow refresh of the screen when quickly panning around in a FPS or dragging windows on the screen.

Hope to hear some suggestions on best places to pick up the BenQ or alternatives. Thanks!

After using a Dell 2407 and reading about the less than stellar 1:1 firmware fix for the BenQ and other issues, I went with the Gateway and love it. IMO it is a great displa at a great price..

After using a Dell 2407 and reading about the less than stellar 1:1 firmware fix for the BenQ and other issues, I went with the Gateway and love it. IMO it is a great displa at a great price..

I read through the last 4 or 5 pages of the Gateway thread a few minutes ago, and I'm definitely willing to give that one a try first. My local Best Buy seems to have it in stock, I guess I could go in and ask if they can find me a Dec / Jan manufactured one with the serial # that was posted.

How does the backlight compare to the Dell on the Gateway? I consider the backlight on my 2407s to be very good, in terms of both bleed and consistency - I don't notice any problem of left side vs right side brightness, nor is there any bleed whatsoever around the edges when viewing dark screen (such as running flight simulator at night, or dark movies, etc). Does the Gateway have a similar amount of non-bleed, or is there some light poking through (reports I've read indicate the corners might be where the problem occurs).

Hi guyjr,

I read your thread on the Dell forums,before you came here to report your current issues with this screen.Might I suggest that what you have had happen,can happen to/ with any LCD screen.Still I would think since you claim to want to do color sensitive stuff,you take a serious and hard look at the newer Nec 2690uxi.

It absolutely interferes with my intended use of photo editing, so unfortunately I'm giving up on Dell altogether

Check it out,if you are doing what amounts to 'pro' work,its the best screen for the cash (Cheaper then Eizo) and it is a little cheaper then the competetion,as well as offereing features the comp does not. :) I am sure you could get a small discount if you grabbed two of them.For what they do (and they do allot),they are actually reasonably priced.Instead of bothering with returning more lcd's get the better now,and be done with it.Of course this depends on if you consider your time and money valuable,and the work you plan on doing with the screen in question.

Some users have corner backlight bleed on the Gateway, most of which goes away after the lamps warm up. However I have none and since you are buying local you can always swap if you are unhappy with the output. Personally I only buy LCD's locally because I like to go through a few before I find the right one.

The gateway is great. It doesn't have the stylish bezel of the 2407 but the image quality is way better.

Hi guyjr,

I read your thread on the Dell forums,before you came here to report your current issues with this screen.Might I suggest that what you have had happen,can happen to/ with any LCD screen.Still I would think since you claim to want to do color sensitive stuff,you take a serious and hard look at the newer Nec 2690uxi.

Check it out,if you are doing what amounts to 'pro' work,its the best screen for the cash (Cheaper then Eizo) and it is a little cheaper then the competetion,as well as offereing features the comp does not. :)

Thanks Manny, I'll definitely take a look at that one. I had heard NEC makes good pro-level LCDs, and at this point, I'm definitely willing to spend the money so I don't have to deal with this issue anymore. But I may try the Gateway first, since I can get that one locally very easily.

Wow! I just got off the phone with the returns department at Dell, and they are sending me one more replacement monitor! I decided to try one more time, because aside from the stuck / dead pixels, this particular monitor has also shown a much brighter backlight than any of the other three, so I think it's worth one more shot to get a good monitor.

The other great thing the customer support rep did was to give me her e-mail address, which I will use to let her know of the status of the replacement once it arrives. She said she would like to know if there are stuck / dead pixel issues with the replacement, because she would need to let the manufacturing group know there is a problem. Hopefully she'll let them know anyway, as I also found reports of this problem on a blog today (someone has gone through _5_ of these monitors, and is still finding dead pixels appearing after using for a few weeks).

I'll let you all know how this works out. Thanks for the advice / help!

Some users have corner backlight bleed on the Gateway, most of which goes away after the lamps warm up...

My Dell 2407WFP A03 displays this defect and I will ask for a replacement unit. I am waiting for a higher availability of the A04.
Also, one stuck pixel has appeared since last August but it does not bother me.

Back