Gigabyte Aurora 3D 570 Case Airflow

WITHTEETH

Limp Gawd
I have a Aluminum Gigabyte Aurora 3D 570 Case.
http://www.tomshardware.fr/images/news/20060905/3D.jpg
It has 3 120mm fans, 2 outputs, 1 input, i took out the stock fans and added better ones. I'm a little frustrated at the HD Cage inside. It blocks the air intake so i Added a Antec Tricool Fan with a fan RPM Switch to add for intake air since Id rather have a high pressure then low pressure.
http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages/200611/gbt3Daurora570_sideopn.jpg
I've been brainstorming but can't come up with something that looks right and effective at the same time. I can paint stuff to match the case that is no problem for me. I looked at many products such as the Scythe Kama 120mm Bay fan pictured here:http://www.pccasegear.com/images/kamas_1s.jpg
But this is poorly made and leaves gaps in your pay drives so it doesn't look flush with your case.

I have also thought of trying to buy mesh two 3.5 front panels and put a 80mm filtered fan on the other side to add more air intake, but I cannot find any mesh 3.5 front panels anywhere. I would rather do this idea anyway since the 3.5 bays are level with my Northbridge, ram, and CPU and 5.25mm drives go well over all of that.

Anyone Have any ideas on how i could add better airflow either adding fans inside or adding an air intake?

I'm not sure I understand you correctly, do you want to cool the harddrives properly or move them out of the way of the intake fan? You should always want some airflow to travel across the harddrives, it's important to keep them cool.

If you used that Scythe bay cooler, wouldn't the case door prevent it from getting any cool outside air? Looks like that door doesn't have any vents, at least from the two pictures you posted.

I'm going to keep the 120mm Fan blowing across the harddrives but I'd like more airflow coming in. Just that one intake blowing hot air from the HD's over the rest of the components, plus having a low pressure case will make dust a bigger problem.

Good observation on the door blocking air but just underneath the swinging door above the USB and Audio ports is a good 4X1 inch (roughly) gap that would allow some airflow through the drive bays. I'm hoping the 3.5 bay could add some more airflow for the components not the hard drives.

Here is a diagram what what i hope to achieve:
gbt3Daurora570_sideopnairflow.jpg

The top intake fan is not there and I guess All im looking for is some device to add an air take with some how to these two 3.5 bays to help cool my components. Is this overkill? with these new motherboards their silent chipset heatsink pipes i thought it would be a good idea.

Even with that extra 80mm fan, you're still gonna have a low pressure case. Those three 120mm fans at the back (assuming the PSU is also 120mm) are a bit overkill imho and make it very difficult to balance the airflow. Only one 120mm case fan at the back should be enough. But if you want to go ahead with it, the best solution will be to make a 120mm blowhole on the side window, blowing air over the mobo/hsf. I wouldn't worry about the mobo heatpipe cooling solution overheating thou, unless you're doing some high overclocking.

An alternative would be to change the direction of all of the case fans: so the 2 rear fans are intake and the single front fan is an exhaust. I'm not sure if this is very practical, or will provide any better cooling, but it's just an idea.

I have the original Aurora which is the same except for front panel. I removed the hard drive cage and put my hard drive in one of the 5 1/4 drive bays. I was thinking about getting a Kama Bay also but had not heard of the fit problems with it. I still have the stock fans and was thinking about modding the front to accept a 140mm fan. I think this will help greatly with airflow. I have the side panel with the grill and this also help even the flow, I have a 80mm fan mounted in the side panel as well and I am thinking about modding that to accept a 120mm (an 80 fits the existing grill holes well, a 120 does not line up so I will have to enlarge some holes.).

Yes i was thinking about using the grill and adding fans to it, but the glass looks so sharp i think.:cool: I'm a tinkerer I like to look at my computer often and fiddle around and the glass makes that easier. You do make a good point though, maybe that would be a wiser move if in case i cannot find front panel 3.5 that are grilled.

Then again maybe Ill just stack 3 of these 5.25 drive bays on top of one another. Then slap a 120mm fan behind it and call it good. Id paint them to match the metal first though to make it fit in.
http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/11-999-482-01.JPG

"EDITED JUST FOR DIABLO2K*

Yes this picture comes directly from Newegg as is. I would take the 2 fans out and then slap a 120mm fan to get better airflow, and lower noise. They're 6 bucks a piece.

Yes this picture comes directly from Newegg as is. I would take the 2 fans out and then slap a 120mm fan to get better airflow, and lower noise. They're 6 bucks a piece.

Hotlinking of Photos from other websites is not allowed, it is considered bandwidth theft, you need to host the pics yourself or use a service like photobucket.

i read ur post. I have a gigabyte aurora 3d case with side grill and found that u can fit a 120mm fan without drilling new holes:) . just tilt the fan slightly and the holes will match up. nobody said the fan has to be perfectly horizontal ! U can put 2 120mm fans on the side if u wish!! I used silverstone fn121 120 mm fan for the side grill. i also used 3 of the same fans to replace the original fans . this gives good airflow with minimal noise. These are less loud than my cpu fan.

running e6300 @ 3ghz. fsb 430, 965pds3MB.

Yes i was thinking about using the grill and adding fans to it, but the glass looks so sharp i think.:cool: I'm a tinkerer I like to look at my computer often and fiddle around and the glass makes that easier. You do make a good point though, maybe that would be a wiser move if in case i cannot find front panel 3.5 that are grilled.

Then again maybe Ill just stack 3 of these 5.25 drive bays on top of one another. Then slap a 120mm fan behind it and call it good. Id paint them to match the metal first though to make it fit in.
http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/11-999-482-01.JPG

"EDITED JUST FOR DIABLO2K*

I was not trying to be an ass, just trying to keep you within the rules. Some websites get very pissed when there bandwidth gets stolen especially when they get no benifit from it. i am sure that sites like Tomshardware and newegg already spend alot of money on bandwidth, they dont need it being used by others without there permission.

Back