Corsair Nautilus 500 question...

darkjedi

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

I decided to try watercooling for the first time and went with the the Corsair Nautilus 500 system. I have a question...

The mounting of the CPU waterblock for socket 775 does not seem to be the greatest solution. It just uses these white plastic (nylon?) posts that snap into the motherboard and then there is a plate that holds down the block and snaps into the top of those posts.

I change my motherboard and CPU pretty frequently to test and evaluate (three times in the last month alone) and I am worried about how well the little posts will survive me constantly removing/reinstalling them.

I have already done it a couple times. Using needle-nose pliers to (gently) squeeze the little ends of the posts to remove the plate seems to work OK, but it seems that this will wear out the posts over time.

Is there a better solution to this that anybody has tried? Maybe replacement metal posts with screw connections like the ones that come with some of the Zalman fans?

If not, can I get a replacement CPU waterblock from one of the watercooling online stores that would work with the Nautilus 500? The tubing is 3/8" diameter.

If I replace the waterblock, what would you all recommend that allows for pretty frequent removal and installation?

Oh yes, that stock setup is crapppp !

http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=111&cat=42&page=1

explode the details to see all the hardware.

Also. you can find what you need at Lowes or Home depot if you scrounge around, 6-32 threaded rod, nuts, nylon washers (usually in the speciality hardware drawers) Lowes has a spring assortment that has a bunch of springs but only 2 in the pack will do, get two packs.

Tip, its critical the threaded rod does not spin, so it secured to the motherboard with a nut on the bottom side of the board and one on the top (nylon washers and a lock washer too) and a drop of Locktite thread locker from the local auto parts store on each nut will help ensure they dont loosen up till you want them too.

If you really want to get into it, I use special precision compression/die springs from mcmaster.com that have a known spring rate expressed in lbs/per inch of compression, if you know the tread of the rod is 32 threads per inch, you can count turns of the clamping nut and estimate pretty well your clamping force. Lots of options on force, compression lenght etc. etc. give ya a chance to use some math skills.

Go to Home Depot and pick up a box of 2 inch long 6-32 machine screws and 3 or 4 6-32 threaded wing nuts...

Use those to hold the block down, instead of the nylon bolts.

Wow... thanks for the info. Have a Home Depot just down the street, I will see what I can find!

Thanks!

Back