HP printer driver for Vista not available - can it still be shared?

msny

2[H]4U
HP in it's glorious wisdom shows that there is no printer driver available for
my Photosmart 1115 printer of just over 3 years. Sucks, but what the heck.

I am in the process of building a new Vista machine. My other machine (Shuttle in sig) will continue to be on Windows XP.

Here is my question then. If I physically connect the printer to
my Shuttle, can my new Vista machine still be configured to share it
over my network?

Photosmart 8450 here, same problem. It's connected to an XP machine, and when I attempted to network it to my Vista machine... no dice.

You'll have to physically connect the printer to your Vista machine for the drivers to work, but once that's done you can move it back to your XP machine and it should work fine.

Photosmart 8450 here, same problem. It's connected to an XP machine, and when I attempted to network it to my Vista machine... no dice.

You'll have to physically connect the printer to your Vista machine for the drivers to work, but once that's done you can move it back to your XP machine and it should work fine.

Hmmm....how does that work if the Vista machine can't see the printer
first because it has no driver? (or does it anyway)

Somewhat confused by that train of thought, what am I missing?

I haven't had any issues so far using the XP drivers for several HP printers, including the 1115 at a customer's house just yesterday actually. Weird...

Trick is you can't use the installer .exe to install them; you have to run that installer, wait for it to extract the files to the hp_webrelease temp folder, then it'll stop and complain it's the wrong OS. Copy that temp folder someplace like the Desktop; close the installer, then plug in the printer and point it to the hp_webrelease folder. Worked fine for me, it even works using the XP x64 64 bit drivers for Vista 64 bit editions...

YMMV, as always.

I haven't had any issues so far using the XP drivers for several HP printers, including the 1115 at a customer's house just yesterday actually. Weird...

Trick is you can't use the installer .exe to install them; you have to run that installer, wait for it to extract the files to the hp_webrelease temp folder, then it'll stop and complain it's the wrong OS. Copy that temp folder someplace like the Desktop; close the installer, then plug in the printer and point it to the hp_webrelease folder. Worked fine for me, it even works using the XP x64 64 bit drivers for Vista 64 bit editions...

YMMV, as always.

Hey thanks! Worth a try, YMMV understood..
That is what I was looking for, much appreciated.

YMMV, as always.
Hi.
Please for the love of God guide me through this for my HP 1115 on Vista.
hp_webrelease temp folder does not exsist. just a temp photosmart folder.
[email protected]

Thank you.

The easiest way, aside from trying the XP drivers, is to research other options. For example, my 5 year old Photosmart 1315 doesn't work natively with Vista, nor does it have drivers. However, if I use the 2600 series drivers, it works fine.

Hi.
Please for the love of God guide me through this for my HP 1115 on Vista.
hp_webrelease temp folder does not exsist. just a temp photosmart folder.
[email protected]

Thank you.

I got it installed in Vista, but when I try to print from Vista it does not work.
When I get time I still want to see if I can use it as a share.
If your still interested here is the method as expanded above.

Download the driver from HP
Do not plug in your printer
Run the driver software
Note the path that it installs into mine was C:\temp\photosmart
When prompted to plug in your printer DO NOT at this point
Run end task to close the install wnidow
Plug in your printer now <<<<<< EDIT
You may get messages that the software did not install correctly, just
click on handle it later (I think)
Go to device manager from control panel, find the unknown entry under
printer or other devices
Right click on the entry and select devices navigate to the entry to
change driver
When prompted select the path as C:\temp\photosmart
Mine took a while to install and it did the procedure twice
You will see an entry in device manager for the printer

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I'll be trying this out sometime this week for my Photosmart 1315.

installed but will not print.
Now the new problem is how to get it to print???

Yep, thats where I'm stuck as I mentioned previously in the setup steps.
If someone can figure a way to get it working, lets post the solution here
for the community.

heres how I got printing to work on Vista with a Photosmart P1100 connected via USB.

-do a fresh boot with the printer plugged in

-wait for windows to detect the printer and cancel any attempt for windows to install the drivers.

-download the windows xp drivers from HP, start the install and cancel it after it creates the c:\temp\photosmart folder

-in control panel, printers, file, run as administrator, server properties, drivers tab, remove any previous drivers except for the XPS Document Writer. (i had to stop the printer spooler service to delete one of the drivers)

-open device manager, under the 'Other Devices' category uninstall the Photosmart P1100 (or whatever photosmart you have)

-while in device manager click Action, scan for hardware changes, and it sould re-detect your printer.

-chose to install a driver manually and pick the destination of c:\temp\photosmart

-it asked me to install several drivers for the built in card reader and the usb port all goes fine until I hit the actual printer driver installation part where it failed. This is fine providing it installed the Dot4USB driver which you should see in Device Manager

-go back to control panel, printers, add new printer, where it says choose an existing port, select the Dot4USB port, next, search through the built-in Vista drivers for the HP DeskJet 930C/932C/935C series printers.

-a test page should now work, both on the local vista install and a networked Vista machine using the same driver.

I did notice that this driver makes the printer print a little slower than usual, but so far it seems to be the only way to get a PhotoSmart P1xxx series printer to work in Vista

heres how I got printing to work on Vista with a Photosmart P1100 connected via USB.

-do a fresh boot with the printer plugged in

-wait for windows to detect the printer and cancel any attempt for windows to install the drivers.

-download the windows xp drivers from HP, start the install and cancel it after it creates the c:\temp\photosmart folder

-in control panel, printers, file, run as administrator, server properties, drivers tab, remove any previous drivers except for the XPS Document Writer. (i had to stop the printer spooler service to delete one of the drivers)

-open device manager, under the 'Other Devices' category uninstall the Photosmart P1100 (or whatever photosmart you have)

-while in device manager click Action, scan for hardware changes, and it sould re-detect your printer.

-chose to install a driver manually and pick the destination of c:\temp\photosmart

-it asked me to install several drivers for the built in card reader and the usb port all goes fine until I hit the actual printer driver installation part where it failed. This is fine providing it installed the Dot4USB driver which you should see in Device Manager

-go back to control panel, printers, add new printer, where it says choose an existing port, select the Dot4USB port, next, search through the built-in Vista drivers for the HP DeskJet 930C/932C/935C series printers.

-a test page should now work, both on the local vista install and a networked Vista machine using the same driver.

I did notice that this driver makes the printer print a little slower than usual, but so far it seems to be the only way to get a PhotoSmart P1xxx series printer to work in Vista

Yes, EXCELLANT!!!! Works now for me!

-follow the instructions above, I can confirm this worked biatch
- here are some things that were slightly different for me
- device manager shows these entries now:
Dot4 HPH09 - photosmart 1115 printer
Dot4USB HPH09 - photosmart 1115 printer
Oher Devices - unknown device or photosmart printer
Port - make sure its set to the 1115 printer mine was DOT4_002
- make sure you do add printer and install the Deskjet 930c/932c/935c as default
I tried other photosmart drivers...none worked - this Is the step I
missed above....THANKS

So if you already have loaded the driver for the 1115 (or other)
then just do an Add Printer and select the port...presto

With the $$$ you just saved in NOT buying a new printer make
a donation to your favorite charity

I saw NO slowdown in printing and a test page turned out excellant
YMMV

You install the HP1115 as a device driver in Device Manager.
Then, go into printers from control printer and do "add printer"
putting the Deskjet 930c/932c/935c as default and it works.

The above install is similar to the one on the HP website but it lists
no alternative driver for the 1115.

However if your sharing the printer on a network like I am from an XP
machine then share the installed 1115 on Vista.

All I did was connect my computer to printer via USB, after it installed then I changed my ports to ip and viola works wireless now...

All I did was connect my computer to printer via USB, after it installed then I changed my ports to ip and viola works wireless now...

What model?
In some cases HP printers are already supported natively out of Vista.

*Dons Dunce Cap*

Hello all. I'm on a Vista Ultimate, and have a Photosmart 1315 connected to an XP Media Center machine. I am connected via network (wireless) and can see / read files on the XP machine. Is there a way to add the printer via the network protocol? Or do I have to physically connect it? I ask because physically connecting it would require much more effort than purchasing a $20 printer from Wal*Mart.

Thanks for any opinions and options you guys have. I've tried what I've seen here, and no "C:\temp" or "*\photosmart" folders are created. Does it have to be the downloadable drivers, or can it be from the CD? If it's only downloaded, then I'll have to try that.

*Dons Dunce Cap*

Hello all. I'm on a Vista Ultimate, and have a Photosmart 1315 connected to an XP Media Center machine. I am connected via network (wireless) and can see / read files on the XP machine. Is there a way to add the printer via the network protocol? Or do I have to physically connect it? I ask because physically connecting it would require much more effort than purchasing a $20 printer from Wal*Mart.

Thanks for any opinions and options you guys have. I've tried what I've seen here, and no "C:\temp" or "*\photosmart" folders are created. Does it have to be the downloadable drivers, or can it be from the CD? If it's only downloaded, then I'll have to try that.

Wireless or cable matters not. As long as you can see and have the printer shared it should work. Basically the direction it's shared is important.

Which computer is the wireless and has the printer attached to it?
Either way, the full driver set is only loaded on one of them. The other computer then "loads" or "installs" them when you setup the share from the other box.

I have two printers setup right now. Photosmart 1115 is attached to the Vista box and wotks fine shared. If you have no Vista drivers download the XP ones. It works fine from either machine. The other is a A710 photo printer attached to the XP machine and shared on the Vista one. I can see the share OK on the Vista machine, but when I attempt to print it gives me a generic error in the print queue.

Look at this thread, it indicates that the printer should be installed from the Vista side and the XP is then sharing it as a solution, which I may try myself.

http://forum.pcstats.com/showthread.php?t=39366

and

http://forum.pcstats.com/showthread.php?t=39245

Clear as mud? Post back, and we can work on fixing both our issues together.

EDIT: after reading these threads more closely, it may be necessary to install the printer on Vista side (as host)
rasther then the XP side, since the driver used is XP...Vista can't handle it correctly...DAH...but the jury is out
AFAIC

Wireless or cable matters not. As long as you can see and have the printer shared it should work. Basically the direction it's shared is important.

Which computer is the wireless and has the printer attached to it?
Either way, the full driver set is only loaded on one of them. The other computer then "loads" or "installs" them when you setup the share from the other box.

I have two printers setup right now. Photosmart 1115 is attached to the Vista box and wotks fine shared. If you have no Vista drivers download the XP ones. It works fine from either machine. The other is a A710 photo printer attached to the XP machine and shared on the Vista one. I can see the share OK on the Vista machine, but when I attempt to print it gives me a generic error in the print queue.

Look at this thread, it indicates that the printer should be installed from the Vista side and the XP is then sharing it as a solution, which I may try myself.

http://forum.pcstats.com/showthread.php?t=39366

and

http://forum.pcstats.com/showthread.php?t=39245

Clear as mud? Post back, and we can work on fixing both our issues together.

EDIT: after reading these threads more closely, it may be necessary to install the printer on Vista side (as host)
rasther then the XP side, since the driver used is XP...Vista can't handle it correctly...DAH...but the jury is out
AFAIC

I switched printers, my HPA710 & HP1115 are both on the Vista box as host (connected). Both printers work on both systems now shared, no issues. I can now take full advantage of the Vista photo gallery.

Well, I installed it via TCP/IP and it just won't print.... it "sees" it, but it won't print... I hate HP.... if they had x64 drivers, I might get it to work. But they won't even support x64 drivers... I know I can get it to work on the vista Locally, but I really need it remotely. It's kind of a catch 22: Vista uses Deskjet 930c driver, XP doesn't have it. XP uses PS 1315 driver, Vista doesn't support it. So I'm screwed either way. Fantastic customer service HP.... FANTASTIC!!

Are there any other ideas there? I installed it with the DJ 930c driver via TCP/IP using the IP address of the XP computer....

"Vista uses Deskjet 930c driver, XP doesn't have it."

Wonder why I have it setup on the XP box then and it works just fine?

yeah, for whatever reason when I went to do this like 3 months ago the XP machine didn't have the drivers (or more probable: I skipped over them while skimming for it).

Ultimately, I set it up like this:

XP Machine
Default Printer: Photosmart 1315 w/ HP PS1315 drivers (shared as HPPS1315)
Printer: Photosmart 1315 w/ HP DJ930c family drivers (shared as VistaPhotosmart1315)

Vista Machine
Default Printer: VistaPhotosmart1315

It works finally, and I'm thrilled about it. If only this had worked 3 months ago, I wouldn't have had to revert to XP and then move forward to Vista again...

Thanks to all that helped anyway.

Back