Best for DS - M3 or R4?

WhiteZero

2[H]4U
I'm looking into buying a DS Lite, but I first want to find the best pass cart.
In other words, the carts that let you plug in a microSD card and run DS/GBA backups, as well as homebrew stuff (NES & SNES emulators, etc)

Right now I'm looking at the M3.
But I've heard that the R4 is good too.

Any opinions?

My R4 should be here tomorrow. I'll let you know how it is. From what I've read, the R4 and M3 simply are exactly the same, but the M3 are bought from the manufacturer of the R4 and re branded, so they usually cost more for the same thing.

Slot-1 only solutions don't have GBA support.

Slot-1 + Slot-2 solutions do have GBA support, but saving is a bitch (eg, use a patched ROM, save in game, then use a magical key combo to dump what you just saved to your microSD card).

I just got an R4 and two 1GB micro SD cards and it works great. The M3 is basically a rebranded R4 with very few changes from what I have read, The R4 even gets Bios updates quicker. The R4 cannot do GBA backups with out a passcard in the second slot as was stated above but it can do most everything else such as many homebrew, emulators, media playback, linux, etc.

How many DS games could I store on a 1 gig Micro SD card, if I was to buy the R4?

So I got my R4 in about two days ago, and it's been great. One tip: if you want to run NES games, the best I've found so far has got to be NESDS. I also tried Nester DS, but got all sorts of graphical errors. Now I just need to get SNES and Genesis emulation down. I can post pics after I get home if everybody wants.

Also: For anyone looking at the R4, slickdeals.net brought this to my attention:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1202

30.68 for the R4 shipped.

R4 is easy to use. Just drag and drop files from your PC to a micro (NOT MINI) sd card through the included adapter. I got mine through Jandaman for 45 shipped. Only took 2 days to get here!

As a side note, Make sure all your posts do not include any talk about emulation/anything else illegal. There are forums for that and [H] isnt one.

that said, i only use mine for movies/mp3's ;)

I have the M3 simply and old school M3 perfect with Passcard 2.

Difference between R4 and M3 is that the M3 is more known and is the brand name, thats why it cost about 5 bucks more. Both rock and both roll. Have have about 20 games on my 1 gig card and it isn't full yet. And I have almost all GBA games on my M3 perfect in slot 2.

Emulation aint illegal.
How do you know I downloaded a ROM and not just backed one up to my PC from one I own?

:p

Anyway, I ordered an R4, waiting for it to get here now.
Also got a 2GB SanDisk off ebay.

I have an R4 with a 2 gb memory card ordered from www.consolesource.com and there are some pretty decent homebrew options for it. It has been a very decent purchase and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Just started playing Sam And Max last night on ScummVM DS and it's a blast... speech works, and it looks and runs perfectly. You can even use the touchscreen to move Sam and manipulate objects and characters in the game world. Some people have put some serious, good work into the homebrew options out there.

But the R4 is practically identical to the M3 Simply in nearly every significant way; you wouldn't go wrong picking one over the other.

To answer the question they are the same. You used to be able to just solder a jumper and turn one into the other. I went with the R4 becuase their updates seem to come out quicker.

maybe emulation isnt or maybe its illegal... but you cant talk about emulation here
Except, um, you can. Mods have come in and said that emulation talk is fine, provided you don't discuss how you obtained the ROMs.

I have an R4 with a 2 gb memory card ordered from www.consolesource.com and there are some pretty decent homebrew options for it. It has been a very decent purchase and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Just started playing Sam And Max last night on ScummVM DS and it's a blast... speech works, and it looks and runs perfectly. You can even use the touchscreen to move Sam and manipulate objects and characters in the game world. Some people have put some serious, good work into the homebrew options out there.

But the R4 is practically identical to the M3 Simply in nearly every significant way; you wouldn't go wrong picking one over the other.

Just wondering if you could share how you got scummvm working. What version are you using? I tried the latest build, didn't work, then tried patching with dldi, still didn't work. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Nevermind. Saw I needed 9.1 beta 2 with dldi support. Thanks anyway.

i am slow when it comes to stuff like this, can some one please enlighten me as to what the R4/m3 actually do.. i read you can play movies on your ds through it, does that mean .avis? and mp3s? or are they a differnt file type? please give me more info as i am very interested!

i am slow when it comes to stuff like this, can some one please enlighten me as to what the R4/m3 actually do.. i read you can play movies on your ds through it, does that mean .avis? and mp3s? or are they a differnt file type? please give me more info as i am very interested!

R4 and M3 let you plug in a microSD card, which you can store DS games, movies (in a proprietary format that there is a converter for), mp3s, and homebrew applications (emulators, custom games, etc).

R4 and M3 let you plug in a microSD card, which you can store DS games, movies (in a proprietary format that there is a converter for), mp3s, and homebrew applications (emulators, custom games, etc).

My lord that sounds awesome... I want a ds now and one of those!

So I got my R4 in about two days ago, and it's been great. One tip: if you want to run NES games, the best I've found so far has got to be NESDS. I also tried Nester DS, but got all sorts of graphical errors. Now I just need to get SNES and Genesis emulation down. I can post pics after I get home if everybody wants.

Also: For anyone looking at the R4, slickdeals.net brought this to my attention:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1202

30.68 for the R4 shipped.

how long does this place usually take too ship to the USA. california to be exact.

Back