Lanbox build soon (see any problems?)

eu_phorix

Weaksauce
Rebuild with an ASUS P5B-VM for now:
Welp, with the death of my I90HD, I'm a bit gunshy about trying another one. This is going to be my main system, and I just need to feel confident that I've got a rock solid system.

As such, I have to give serious props to the P5B-VM...for those of you looking for just a 300MHZ overclock, with a full featured mature board this is one nice board. (I've been hammering it all day, and rebooted probably 60 times so far: Unstoppable!) (No wierdness at all, and even the X-FI that I was so frustrated with in the abit board is peachy keen here, no pops/whistles/farts!)

Hopefully the I90HD will get the kinks worked out, or maybe one of the new chipsets/boards coming in a few months will turn out to be the ticket for my lanbox ...until then I'll be using this ASUS board:

P5D_VM_memtest.jpg

Board is toast! (5/10/2007 -about 2 hours after the blue post below-)

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Welp guys, my hopes and dreams for this board are toast...along with the board. (I'll post pics later of the piece that blew, but a bit too pissed at the moment to bother with it).....

Here's exactly what happened:

-Board was fine with torture tests and loads out of case.

-In lanbox, I got some pretty hot temps (see prior posts)

-I lowered the clock back to 3000MHZ

-I then started to play some Supreme Commander to see how things were performing compared to my Athlon 4200X2 system, and the game locked.

-I couldn't ALT+CTRL+DEL or anything, so I tried the power button: no go, tried the reset: no go. Held the power button down for the 4 seconds to shut it off, then immediately powered it back on and PFFT a puff of that nasty blue smoke came wafting out the side of the lanbox near the RAM, and I smelled that horrible "You just toasted your board" smell.

-I had been hoping the folks with the dead boards were doing something wrong, overheating, shorting out stuff..something incorrect...but no..I really think this is a power issue on this board, and maybe related to using the onboard components (either onboard sound, video, etc...)

The only real differences with the setup when this failed were that I was using the onboard sound and it was in a case. I don't believe it was a temp problem, I believe it had to do with the manner in which it was turned off and back on. (Note that this is similar to what the others have been saying about their boards...works fine and dandy...clocks like a dream, then one day they go to power it on and nothing)

(I do wonder if they actually had this same piece pop on theirs or not) :rolleyes:
toasted_top.jpg

toasted_side.jpg

That pic shows it good (note the little "bubble of doom" center screen). This is looking from the front of the board to the back, just in front of the RAM slots. (No idea what that little bugger does, but apparently it's important)

-sigh-

Things I learned through building my first SFF using the abit I90HD and Lanbox (5/10/2007)

-I had originally thought there wasn't much point in trying to plan airflow for this case, as it just has so many inlet holes. However, in my testing for my setup at least, I found that mounting the CPU cooler fan so that it pulls air up AND mounting the power supply right-side up (opposite the instructions), then temps are better all around and recover more quickly. -Note that if you have a stock cooler that can only blow air down towards the CPU, I would think you would want to follow the instructions in that case, as otherwise you'll be fighting for air between 4 fans in a small space)

-Making cables look nice and neat is harder than you think...and even harder in a SFF! (New respect for SFF builders)

-Take everything out of the case for assembly (cdrom cage, PSU support, motherboard tray)..don't think that it'd be more work to take out those screws than to to just work around it.

-Install everything on the motherboard before sliding it back in the lanbox on its tray (including video cards/pci cards).

-Remove the inner window protective plastic (if you have windows), before putting components back in the case.

-Installing my DVD drive, I actually had to use hole 3, not hole 2 as the docs suggested.

-Don't install the hard drive in the side standing bay, until you've tested the fit and function of the DVD drive placement (or you'll just have to take the HD to re-fit the DVD drive)

-Don't install the DVD drive cage until the very end of assembly.

-I had originally thought that if you're mounting a hard drive in the side cage (like Raptor X), you'd want to pull the lower hard drive cage to improve airflow. Based on other user's suggestions I put mine back in, and any difference is negligible..in fact it may be better with the cage in, as then at least a litle air gets diverted up towards the side drive cage. (And you can tuck cables in it)

-Doublecheck everything that will be visible from the sides of your case (if you have the window model)...ensure it looks how you want it to look from the outside when completed....(like make sure the little "OK" -"Test Passed" stickers are off the power supply) :)

-If you get frustrated, take a break ;)

************************************************************************************************

Last update, gonna pull the trigger! (Hope no issues!)

Case: ThermalTake Lanbox VF1000SWA http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=371369

Motherboard: Abit I90HD mATX http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127023

Power Supply: ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT ATX12V 500W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194003

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115003

CPU Cooler: Thermalright XP-120 (MisterJessieJames got it to fit lanbox-dunno about 90HD board) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109118
CPU Cooler Adapter plate: LGA775 RM http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/m..._xp120_775.htm
CPU Cooler fan: Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F (1600 RPM) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185006

Memory: 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2-6400 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220144

Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136011

DVD: LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD SATA Model LH-20A1S (Thanks Vengance_01 -Better cable management) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106057

Video: EVGA 640-P2-N825-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130080

Northbridge Cooler: Swiftech MCX159-cu (Sounds like northbridge may run hot on 90HD) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108072
Can adapt to fit, but wouldn't recommend it with the XP-120 (just too tight overall, and a pain to make fit)

Can't recommend this sound card. Due to the crackling and popping issues it's going back, and I'm likely not buying creative anymore in the future. (Onboard sound FTW!)
Sound Card: X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102006

Actually, it turns out with my 8800GTS OC, I just lost access to the very first SATA port. With these cables I could make it work, but the 8800 wouldn't lock in the slot, so I just used standard cables in SATA 2,3 and all is good, no need for these special cables.
SATA Cables: (2) Clear Silver, w/Latch, Right Angle to Right Angle (clearance issue with 8800/SATA) http://store.pchcables.com/18saiicaclsi1.html

****OLD****

Hey all, just looking to see if anyone catches a potential issue with this build for a lanbox before I start ordering parts...appreciate the lookthrough and comments: :p

Case: ThermalTake Lanbox VF1000SWA
Power Supply: ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT ATX12V 500W
Motherboard: Abit I90HD mATX
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor
Cooler: Thermalright XP-120 (MisterJessieJames got it to fit lanbox-need to ensure works on 90HD board) or (Dworley got a Silverstone NT06 with fan underneath on 90HD, good setup)
Memory: PDP Patriot Extreme Performance PC2-6400
Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD
DVD: LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD SATA Model LH-20A1S (Thanks Vengance_01 -Better cable management)
Video: EVGA 640-P2-N825-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
Sound Card: Creative Audigy 2 ZS

you'll be really happy with the tT lanbox. I just got done with my build and am very impressed with the case (though for $130+ it should be perfect... and it is for me as a laptop replacement).

the 8800 gts fits fine, as does a tT blue orb II (there's about an inch of clearance from the top of the blue orb to the powersupply). I was expecting to have a bit of a hard time with a full ATX power supply, but there is tons of room. if you're only using one hard drive, you can remove the cage that holds two on the bottom to increase the airflow, and the raptor can sit in the side window easily viewed:cool:

Your not gonna get that XP-90 in there. With the fan it will be to tall I think. Thats one thing that really bothers me about these cases. Your gonna have to find a small heatsink. The Blue Orb is probably gonna be your best bet. Also I would recommend a SATA DVD Burner thats haft height.

I read on 1 review that there's about 100mm of height for a cooler, s'why I was thinking of the 90 (sounded like it would fit, and I much prefer heat pipe coolers if I can)

Well I would wait till you get the box to order it. This way you can measure and make for sure there is X room as far as height.

Your not gonna get that XP-90 in there. With the fan it will be to tall I think. Thats one thing that really bothers me about these cases. Your gonna have to find a small heatsink. The Blue Orb is probably gonna be your best bet. Also I would recommend a SATA DVD Burner thats haft height.

The power supply that he's getting has a fan that is blowing air down to his heatsink, so it should be ok with his XP-90.

The XP-90 has a height of 75mm so it should have plenty of room for clearance. Here's my build with a XP-120 with a 120mm fan, total height of about 88mm with a bit of clearance left.

I wish I knew about the Abit I90HD before I bought the Foxconn motherboard... model G9657MA-8EKRS2H to be exact. The two things I like about the Abit I90HD is the overclocking potential and the placement of the pci-express slot.

I guess you are wondering why I like the pci-express slot placement to be in the middle left slot (or middle right slot depending on your viewpoint) of the motherboard. Well because at the time, I was transferring most of my components from my atx case to the lanbox. The video card that I was transferring was a XFX 7950GT with passive cooling. Well if you can imagine the heatsink on that video card, then you know that it might be a problem fitting it in there because the power supply is obstructing it. Well to make a long story short, I manage to fit the bloody thing in there.

Overall, I think you will not run into any problems when you put it together... a sweet build none the less. ;)

Wow! you got a XP-120 to fit? That's nice! (Will have to see if the 120 would have any compatibility problems with the 90HD board, otherwise that may be a better choice than the XP-90). :D

I will be getting a similar setup. Same box (but black), same motherboard and same HD. I plan to go with an E4300 and yet I don't know if I will be keeping original heatsink. I thought about going with a Blue Orb II but I'm not sure it will fit because of the chipset heatsink.

For the power supply I was looking at the 520W Corsair, I guess both are good choice.

Thanks guys, edited my build list per suggestions...still reading more. (hope good planning will reduce headaches come buy time) :cool:

Nice choices - should be a great performer!

Please post your impressions and pics once you build it

Welp, got most of my parts here..just waiting on case...and now new coolers :mad:

I figured I'd give the Thermalright XP-120 and Swiftech MCX159-CU a try, but niether will fit the abit board! :confused:

So here I take off the stock northbridge. (Eww! At a minimum you guys should put some grease on that instead of thermalpad)
northbridge_thermal_pad.jpg

Cleaned up and starting swiftech mountage:
install_attempt_mcx159-cu.jpg

Uh oh! It only barely fits the screws and even then, the angle makes it hit the backup battery!!! pfft.
mcx159-cu_wont_fit_1.jpg

mcx159-cu_wont_fit_2.jpg

So i put some ArcticSilver on the stock cooler, and reinstalled it...then looked at my Thermalright XP-120:
thermalright_xp120_wont_fit.jpg

The bracket won't even fit! grr!

Guess it was worth a shot..but pretty bummed...need to look for some new CPU cooler at least...prefer a heat pipe cooler over the zalman clones..but will have to double check mounting requirements better.

Just wanted to share my shame! :D

@eu_phorix

If you'd taken 30 seconds to look at the main page of the thermalright site you'd have seen that it needs an adapter for socket 775 boards. http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_product_xp120_775.htm

I've just found your very misleading post linked to on another board and also on the main i90HD thread so please edit it or people will get the wrong idea.

Edit:- I was typing this up before you posted your reply above.

I guess I just needed a day to think on it....I got the Northbridge cooler to fit now (had to use a couple hardware brackets), but it'll work good. I could probably get it cleaner looking if I went and bought some smaller brackets, but I'm not worried about looks for now.

Only downside is that I can't use the fan for the northbridge if I wanna use the XP-120 CPU cooler..so we'll see how things go, but I'd have to imagine this would be much better than the stock aluminum:

mcx159_fit_1.jpg

mcx159_fit_2.jpg

mcx159_fit_3.jpg

Did you order a LANBOX from me.

My idiot distributors sent it to me :mad: Not only that they are charging me to ship it back...I can't win.

haha

Did you order a LANBOX from me.

My idiot distributors sent it to me :mad: Not only that they are charging me to ship it back...I can't win.

haha

heh, yeah bought the case and motherboard from you. Yeah bum deal with the mis-shipment, but appreciate you getting it fixed up and keeping me posted! ;)

Welp, got my XP-120 775 socket adapter today....found that the XP-120 was hitting the Swifttech cooler at the mount point causing the XP-120 not to seat right. So had to cut an old 3.5" hard drive adapter to make it fit..and even then it's still a bit wonky:

heatsinks_above.jpg

heatsinks_side.jpg

AND the heatsinks just barely touch (likely be a little heat transferrence, but shouldn't be enough to cause concern:

heatsinks_touch.jpg

Overall, I'd not be able to recommend this heatsink combination.... Between the lack of a stock fit, the height restriction with the XP-120, and the overall lack of space between the coolers. I'm going to try it out since I've gone through all the work...but I do wonder if it's really necessary....(wonder what the working heat specs of this ATI northbridge chip is). :rolleyes:

She lives! :D

Still waiting for my case (hopefully tomorrow!) But just had to see if I could get this beast working, and if all the components were good to go:

superpi_350.jpg

Only played with trying overclock for a couple hours. I'm at 350MHZ with 1.4v set in BIOS and RAM set to "800" setting in BIOS. (According to setfsb, the PCI and PCI-E clocks appear to be locked to stock, so that's good)

-Now to just figure out what's up with my X-fi popping and crackling-:rolleyes:

Hmm... am I missing something here? (Coming from AMD overclocking and this just doesn't seem to jive). I left the FSB at 350MHZ and RAM at 800MHZ...set the e6600 to 1.35v (stock voltage), and RAM is only at 2.0V (Patriot posts for 2.2V)...however, this thing is rock solid stable under load, even when real voltage is only 1.3v to core2duo?!?!?
350fsb_at_1_3v.jpg

Is this just not really a big overclock for this processor? I would have expected I'd need more volts to go from 266 to 350....am I just missing or misreading something?:eek:

As I am contemplating the purchase of a LanBox, so thanks for posting these pics. System looks good but there is room for improvement in the cable management department. But, I'm real picky when it comes to this.

Thanks again.

- JT

As I am contemplating the purchase of a LanBox, so thanks for posting these pics. System looks good but there is room for improvement in the cable management department. But, I'm real picky when it comes to this.

Thanks again.

- JT

Yeah, this is my first SFF and really the first time I've tried doing any sort of clean cabling. I was doing pretty good up until the drive cage went in..then it's just too tight for my nubby hands. :D

But good luck with it, I'd love to get some ideas for better cable management...seems tricky in this case, but maybe just my inexperience.

I have built two sysems with this case. One with the Foxconn board and one with the Gigabyte board. As far as cable management, I used the 5 inch DVD bay and left the top one empty. I used a Hiper modular power supply and hid any excess cable length in the top bay. Then I used the removal hard drive bay as a channel for all of the front panel wires. I did not remove the hard drive cage from the system even though I put only one HD in each computer because these systems are for customers and I don't want to limit futre expandability. Both sytems are rock solid and stay cool. One has a 8800GTS 320 OC and the other has a 8600GT.

I am impressed with the case and highly recommend it to anyone that wants to do a tidy SFF build.

Welp, rebuilt with an ASUS P5B-VM for now...pretty happy with this board actually (and very happy my Patriot RAM works so flawlessly in it - very awesome RAM by the way..nice and flexible, even at 1.9v it is rock solid at 450MHZ, just had to slip the timing down a notch)

Below are a couple fun pics for ya. First is from my AMD system in the Sonata case with performance numbers. Second is the current lanbox build with the ASUS P5B-VM. (Not quite the awesomeness a full overclocker would be, but still very impressed with the performance gain, and in a system half the size!) :D

AMD_Stats.jpg

core2duo_stats.jpg

Turns out I was wrong about airflow..took the time to a do a bit of testing tonight. If you are able to reverse your CPU fan, so that it pulls air up, then you may want to consider mounting the PSU so that it helps pull air up and out of the case. (Looks like the quiet little 60mm fans just don't cut the mustard for moving air through the case)

Lanbox_Temp_Test.jpg

I don't suppose anyone has a comparison between the Silverstone SG01 Evo and the Thermaltake Lanbox Lite do they? I have been trying to find one online but cannot for the life of me.

Back