Running 4GB on P5N32E-SLI Plus?

Ingonuts13

[H]ard|Gawd
I am having a hell of a time with these 2x2GB GSkill 6400 sticks at the moment. It seems there is some issue, possible incompatibility with this board.

Who here is running 4GB on this ASUS board at 800MHz and could you please tell me the exact ram you are using for this.

Pls check the following settings, most of us with 4 gigs need to up NB voltage to get it stable (1.4-1.5 volts)

AI Tuning: Manual
Nvidia GPU Ex: Disabled
LinkBoost: Disabled

FSB - Memory Clock Mode: Unlinked
x FSB - Memory Raio: N/A
FSB (QDR), Mhz: 1066 (means 266FSB)
Actual FSB (QDR), Mhz: 1066.7
MEM (DDR), Mhz: 800 (means 400mhz speeds)
Actual MEM (DDR), Mhz: 800

Vcore Voltage: 1.35
Memory Voltage: 1.8
1.2v HT Voltage:1.3
NB Core Voltage:1.45
SB Core Voltage:1.5
CPU VTT Voltage:1.35
DDRII Controller Ref Voltage:auto
DDRII Channel A Ref Voltage:auto
DDRII Channel B Ref Voltage:auto

tCL (CAS Latency): 5
tRCD: 5
tRP: 5
tRAS: 15
Command Per Clock (CMD): 2 clock (2T)

Advance Memory Settings
tRRD: AUTO
tRC: AUTO
tWR: AUTO
tWTR: AUTO
tREF: AUTO
tRD: AUTO
tRFC: AUTO
Async Latency: AUTO

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
MCP PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
SATA Spread Spectrum: Disabled
LDT Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Internal Thermal Control: Disabled
Limit CPUID MaxVal: Disabled
Enhanced C1 (C1E): Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Disabled
Virtualization Technology: Disabled
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Tech: Disabled
LDT Frequency: 5x

PCIEX16_1 Frequency (Mhz): 100
PCIEX16_2 Frequency (Mhz): 100
PCIEX16_3 Frequency (Mhz): 100
SPP<->MCP Ref Clock, Mhz: 200

Still nada, even with the upped voltage. I am sending these sticks back as they are not working correctly.

It's probably the board's bios having issues and not the sticks.. if possible try them on a friends rig ...

In either case, GSKILL tells me there is a compatibility issue so they are going back. Will probably go with some Corsair

Same probs there mate, just wait a bit longer till they sort out the biosses and co. I wouldn' want you to waste more money and still ahve the same end result

Well they migh work, don't say I didn't warn ya, they work at stock speeds (meaning no CPU overclock) but once you tend to overclock you can run into trouble.

Keep my settings in mind, higher voltage for the NB is required to make 4gig stable...

Well they migh work, don't say I didn't warn ya, they work at stock speeds (meaning no CPU overclock) but once you tend to overclock you can run into trouble.

Keep my settings in mind, higher voltage for the NB is required to make 4gig stable...

Hmm, I will keep that in mind. MY GSKILLS would not post past 575MHz 1:1. If i can get 1600/800 1:1 on the Corsairs, that would make me happy.

Forget it, I have the Dominators, and they DO NOT WORK with the p5n32-e SLI plus board if you try and install 4 gigs. This is with 2 different boards.

In fact, my XMS2 4-4-4-12 sticks, 4 of them, do not work. 4 gigs do not work, for a few, maybe. But here are some links.

edit: My Asus links don't work, but trust me, I had a handful. Their seems to be a bios issue. In fact, I have stability issues with 2 gigs of memory but not nearly as bad as I did with 4gig.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1164334

That link you posted is for the Striker board. Did you mean to do that?

It is either these or the GSKILL PQ series 2GB kit. I don't really know what to do at this point, I just want 4GB of something damnit.

On your motherboard, there is a sticker that says, P5N32-E SLI Plus, it's near one of the PCIe slots, peel it up carefully.

It will say "striker extreme" under the sticker.

The Striker and The Plus are the same board, firmwares are very much nearly the same and people with both boards have the same problems.

Go read up on the Asus forums as well.

I decided to buy the Intel Badaxe 2 board today. Sick of the problems and the BSOD's.

On your motherboard, there is a sticker that says, P5N32-E SLI Plus, it's near one of the PCIe slots, peel it up carefully.

It will say "striker extreme" under the sticker.

The Striker and The Plus are the same board, firmwares are very much nearly the same and people with both boards have the same problems.

Go read up on the Asus forums as well.

I decided to buy the Intel Badaxe 2 board today. Sick of the problems and the BSOD's.

Oh wow, I did not know this. A representative from GSKILL pointed me towards these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820231120

The PCB layout is the same but the plus components are nowhere near a striker. I have corrected this stupid statement many times but some peeps still don't listen and think wohoo I have Striker for the 100 bucks less...yeah right.
Just compare the boards eg in the PWM area, see some missing parts there ?, also Striker has slightly better and more capacitors,.. there's more difference than a stupid useless led and some crappy heatsinks...

A P5N32-E SLI is physically closer to a Striker than the Plus version since the latter is a hybrid version...

Also the ASUS forums are a real joke as no real Asus representative seem sto be present and helps peeps out, it's again users for users and some questions my oh my are just plain silly...

I hope mate you get ya 4 gigs running soon...

Thanks leeghoofd, I am trying.

Just cannot make up my mind on what to do here. Will order something by Thursday so I can get them for the weekend, but what is the question......

Yep, that did the trick for sure. For anyone trying to run 2x2GB I would recommend the GSKILLs above without a doubt. They run very stable.

Bah..I have 4 gigs of corsair 800 memory that I am having problems with. Wonder if I should just get 2 of of the 2 gig sticks and sell the 4 (well roomie would get 2 and I have a potential buyer for the other 2).

Yeah I have 4 gigs of the corsair stuff as well and it's a no go bsod nightmare.

I stuck in 2 gigs of OCZ and it's running perfectly.

I still trust Corsair however.

and ............ I just woke up and the OCZ memory crashed, woke up to a wind503.sys crash or something like that, monitor had a big ol' BSOD screenie for me.

Has to be the board, something about it. Can't be heat. All the temps are fine.

So I removed the second 8800 and now everything is rock solid. I haven't crashed in 3 days with 4 gigs of ram installed (corsair 6400c4). I have an 850 watt powersupply and I was crashing even if I wasn't using the second card (Just having it plugged in was causing instability).

I am going to do some more trouble shooting and see if I can figure out the exact cause...

Currently running 4GB G.Skill PC8000 GBPQ(Specced DDR2 1000, 5-5-5-15 2T) sticks on my P5N32-E SLI Plus. Board needed to be juiced up pretty heavily to run, but run it does. I had HUGE stability issues with the 805 bios, but once I downflashed to 801 I no longer had any issues.

E6850 @ 3.82ghz (9x1700)

Bios Settings:
vCore: 1.45V
Nbridge: 1.45V
HT: 1.40V
SB: Auto
VTT: 1.40V
VDDR: 2.20V
Dram Controller: Auto
Controller 1: Auto
Controller 2: Auto

Memory Timings:
5-5-5-15 1T 866Mhz(Yes, running 866, not just 800!) With these settings, but 2T I've pushed up to 1100 memory without issues also, but 866 1T is way faster.

Back