1Gig RAM
DVD Burner
7 HDs
7600GS
5 case fans (its in a hot garage)
Intel gigE
HP raid card
Several USB devices

All on a 300 watt Seasonic, Kill-O-Watt shows a max of 170 watts.

I have a new Core 2 Duo setup on the way, room to spare!

UPDATE: Core 2 Duo, no problems with the above! Can't get the Kill-O-Watt above 150 watts.
UPDATE-2: Still holding steady with the E4300 at [email protected].

Opteron 146 at 3 ghz
1gb ram
DVD burner
6 hard drives
7800GT

185w draw :)

I run a 680 watt PSU here.

Only cost me $20 from eBay, cheap to repair as far as parts go, and reliable.

I have 2400+ XP, 266 MHz bus, 1 GB Ram, Gigabyte motherboard with 1 agp and 5 PCI, two SCSI drives, 2 ATA133, a floppy, a zip, and DVD-RW, a card on every slot.

I run a 680 watt PSU here.

Only cost me $20 from eBay, cheap to repair as far as parts go, and reliable.

I have 2400+ XP, 266 MHz bus, 1 GB Ram, Gigabyte motherboard with 1 agp and 5 PCI, two SCSI drives, 2 ATA133, a floppy, a zip, and DVD-RW, a card on every slot.

...how much did that power supply cost you?

Twenty. We repair power supplies for a living (old outdated stuff for servers and controllers, plus ATX, you name it). Basically in comparison there is absolutely no difference between this cheap chiefmax and your expensive hiper or entermax. The only difference is finish and noise, but other than that it is the same thing and gets repaired in the same way..... I love hearing boys brag about their power supply, lol. At times its funny and I chuckle.

Twenty. We repair power supplies for a living (old outdated stuff for servers and controllers, plus ATX, you name it). Basically in comparison there is absolutely no difference between this cheap chiefmax and your expensive hiper or entermax. The only difference is finish and noise, but other than that it is the same thing and gets repaired in the same way..... I love hearing boys brag about their power supply, lol. At times its funny and I chuckle.

Holy cow you think cheif/powmax stuff is of the same quality as Enermax? Its alot more than just "finish and noise".

What?

The difference, of course, is that your chiefvalue or powmax can't do even half of the rated wattage. The performance, plain and simple, SUCKS. Ripple? Voltage stability? Independant voltage regulation? Overcurrent protection? Nonexistant.

Open it. Compare it with the guts of a good brand name psu.

You won't be laughing long.

Athlon 2600+
1Gig RAM
DVD Burner
7 HDs
7600GS
5 case fans (its in a hot garage)
Intel gigE
HP raid card
Several USB devices

All on a 300 watt Seasonic, Kill-O-Watt shows a max of 170 watts.

I have a new Core 2 Duo setup on the way, room to spare!
I wouldn't count on it! :eek:

Your Athlon is probably powered by the +5V rail, all 775 mobos power the CPU via the +12V rail.

What?

The difference, of course, is that your chiefvalue or powmax can't do even half of the rated wattage. The performance, plain and simple, SUCKS. Ripple? Voltage stability? Independant voltage regulation? Overcurrent protection? Nonexistant.

Open it. Compare it with the guts of a good brand name psu.

You won't be laughing long.

You should really examine his other posts, some of them are quite absurd/hilarious. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't count on it! :eek:

Your Athlon is probably powered by the +5V rail, all 775 mobos power the CPU via the +12V rail.

This is good information. Why do all, and I do mean ALL of the PSU companies not tell you HOW to pick a model? I personally know the whole wattage thing is a joke and it's a huge profit maker right now. Tons of gulible kids and some adults that think they need a 600w power supply because they THINK they need it.
I'm running a very power efficient system right now e6300 @ 2.8Ghz, stock vcore, 1GB ram, ASUS P5B-E, 2x 250GB 7200.10 Seagates, a DVD burner, and a 7600GT (rated very well on the performance/watt scale). All of this is powered by an FSP 400w PSU that I bought for I think $42. Get this, it weighs more than most 600w'ers! Tells me (and everybody else) that it's got some push probably all the way up to 400w.
In my ideal world I would like the PSU companies to stop lying about requirements.
At the same time it would be nice if the motherboard companies released their power requirements, same goes for all of the hardware. None of this guessing and error on the ULTRA safe side. Rant over

This is good information. Why do all, and I do mean ALL of the PSU companies not tell you HOW to pick a model? I personally know the whole wattage thing is a joke and it's a huge profit maker right now. Tons of gulible kids and some adults that think they need a 600w power supply because they THINK they need it.
I'm running a very power efficient system right now e6300 @ 2.8Ghz, stock vcore, 1GB ram, ASUS P5B-E, 2x 250GB 7200.10 Seagates, a DVD burner, and a 7600GT (rated very well on the performance/watt scale). All of this is powered by an FSP 400w PSU that I bought for I think $42. Get this, it weighs more than most 600w'ers! Tells me (and everybody else) that it's got some push probably all the way up to 400w.
In my ideal world I would like the PSU companies to stop lying about requirements.
At the same time it would be nice if the motherboard companies released their power requirements, same goes for all of the hardware. None of this guessing and error on the ULTRA safe side. Rant over
It is the ATI & Nvidia that are causing the rush to 1KW PSU's.
The newest AMD/Intel CPU's use far less power than their predecessors.
Mobos don't draw much power, they never have.

If everyone could live with 7600GT's, then $40, 400W PSU's would be more than enough!

Not even remotely.

Dang 4600, you even got the PSU editor in this thread calling out your retarded statements...

...come to think of it, thats the first post i've ever seen from him....

i laffed out loud when i read his post.
that being said, check out the system in my sig, its powered by an ocz modstream 450W and has been perfectly stable since its inception. I love this power supply.

Interesting thought. It would be interesting to see a review of a crap PSU (Chiefmax/Powmax/Apsire etc) just to see how crappy they really are and give users an idea exactly why quality PSUs are so important. Admittedly I haven't looked very hard, but I've not read a review of a crappy PSU. Maybe [H] can do one :p

Interesting thought. It would be interesting to see a review of a crap PSU (Chiefmax/Powmax/Apsire etc) just to see how crappy they really are and give users an idea exactly why quality PSUs are so important. Admittedly I haven't looked very hard, but I've not read a review of a crappy PSU. Maybe [H] can do one :p
jonnyGURU's Powmax Demon 580W Review: http://www.slcentral.com/powmax-demon-580w-psu/ ;)

all these power worries are sily! you could proberably run a system like myn on 400w, and shoot my for getting a 730w but i need room for a second gfx card. however it did blow up so i got an 800w hiper type-r coming :)

If you repair PSU's as you so claim and make an ignorant statement like that, then my friend, I have bad news to tell you about the future success of your business.....

If you repair PSU's as you so claim and make an ignorant statement like that, then my friend, I have bad news to tell you about the future success of your business.....

They probably work for powmax :)

Yeah, I'll just hook my expensive setup to a cheap PSU because it has five billion advertised watts....hmmm NO. When his PSU/computer blows up...

LOL! when you say repair? do u mean re wire or something like that? i can do that :O

It is the ATI & Nvidia that are causing the rush to 1KW PSU's.
The newest AMD/Intel CPU's use far less power than their predecessors.
Mobos don't draw much power, they never have.

If everyone could live with 7600GT's, then $40, 400W PSU's would be more than enough!

I beg to differ some Nforce boards can draw up to 20 watts more over their competitors boards. When looking for a nice quiet system this is something to consider.

20 watts? tbh with the amount of lee way people give these days it wont harm your psu.

Basically in comparison there is absolutely no difference between this cheap chiefmax and your expensive hiper or entermax. The only difference is finish and noise, but other than that it is the same thing and gets repaired in the same way..... I love hearing boys brag about their power supply, lol. At times its funny and I chuckle.

Since when is "Entermax" An expensive brand? Do you mean enermax, the company that makes magic-smoke generators disguised as ATX power supplies?

Perhaps im being naieve, but when a 500+ watt cheapo power-supply weighs less than one of my shoes, and a 600W Compaq server PSU weighs enough to use as a boat anchor, I cant help but question your complete nonsense statements ;).

CONGRATS!

However now that you have proved your point, I sincerely recommend getting a "proper" PSU, as your investment is at risk.

Good Luck,
Dave ;)

mmmm, I understand your comment, but feel the need to prove the necessity.

The Kill-O-Watt only shows a max of 150 watts at full tilt, my Seasonic 12v rail is 18 amps, or 216 watts just for 12 volts! Seems to fit?

Majority of 300 supplies only have about 12 amp 12v rails? I'd probably be in trouble then.

Windows VISTA runs on the following:

Intel e6300
Leadtek 6200TDH 128bits 128mb PCIe
2x512mb Nanya DDR2 4200
Seagate 60gb SATA
DVD writer SATA

only powered by Antec True 330.

Not bad, eh?

all these power worries are sily! you could proberably run a system like myn on 400w, and shoot my for getting a 730w but i need room for a second gfx card. however it did blow up so i got an 800w hiper type-r coming :)

I agree... I've seen some pretty wild PSU recommendations for very modest system configurations that would likely consume well under 200watts. While it isn't a bad idea to go big, it's a bigger hit on the checkbook than it needs to be.

However, the earlier claim of generic PSU's being just as good as they high-end stuff is ludicrous. There is a reason you're constantly replacing blown caps in those PSU's.

Hallucinator, there is nothing at all surprising about your results. The processor is very power efficient, the 2 512MB sticks use very little power, the video card is a basic card, with very little power requirments, you're running a single hard drive and optical drive. The Antec isn't even breaking a sweat.... Well, maybe a little since Antec's fan management doens't speed the fans up until the PSU is on the verge of overheating.

mmmm, I understand your comment, but feel the need to prove the necessity.

The Kill-O-Watt only shows a max of 150 watts at full tilt, my Seasonic 12v rail is 18 amps, or 216 watts just for 12 volts! Seems to fit?

Majority of 300 supplies only have about 12 amp 12v rails? I'd probably be in trouble then.

Wall watts draw is different from component watts draw.

Back