So, who's getting what with the price cuts?

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
The price cuts are coming 2H, 2007; just in time for Christmas! :D

At this point, I'm torn between the E6850 and the Q6600. I do a lot of converting so all of my applications are multithreaded. I dunno if four cores at 2.4GHz/1066FSB would be better, or two cores at 3GHz/1333FSB. They both have the same multi and cache, so OCing should be the same on both. What to do.... :confused:

I'm waiting for those new conroes with only 1 MB of cache to see how they perform at 80$ price point. And see how much 915D will be going then ;) After all i don't really need more than 4Ghz netburst power.

At this point, I'm torn between the E6850 and the Q6600. I do a lot of converting so all of my applications are multithreaded. I dunno if four cores at 2.4GHz/1066FSB would be better, or two cores at 3GHz/1333FSB. They both have the same multi and cache, so OCing should be the same on both. What to do.... :confused:

I'm in the same boat as you. Actually, I think the majority will be looking at those two.

Coming from only ever using single core cpu's, i'm making the jump to quad!

Anyways, whats the advantage of having a higher fsb of 1333? Higher clocks from factory but less overclockability? And cpu's with 1333 fsb require faster ram than ddr-800 as well correct?

I am looking to get the E6700 at around 183USD, or the E6800 at $266. Porbably the former, since it such a good price.

Coming from only ever using single core cpu's, i'm making the jump to quad!

Anyways, whats the advantage of having a higher fsb of 1333? Higher clocks from factory but less overclockability? And cpu's with 1333 fsb require faster ram than ddr-800 as well correct?

No, 1333 FSB = DDR2-667 RAM. And the problem with the higher FSB is a lower multiplier so I believe it's better to get the 1066 ones and overclock it. Mine is running well over 1500 MHz FSB.

And the problem with the higher FSB is a lower multiplier so I believe it's better to get the 1066 ones and overclock it. Mine is running well over 1500 MHz FSB.

But the Q6600 and E6850 both have the same multiplier (9).

I'm waiting till a game I want comes along that utilizes more than two cores. I'd love to replace my E6600 with a Q6600, but I honestly have zero need for two more cores at this point. When there is a compelling reason to jump to quad, I'll take stock of what costs what at that point in time and make a decision.

I am waiting for a cheap quad core that I can overclock. I run folding@home, and I can't wait to get four threads going at once.

Aren't the e4300's suppose to come down to the lower $100's?

Anybody have a chart of these price drops?

edit
Never mind, found them:
intel_core_2_duo_pricing_-_2007q3smcr.jpg

Not looking to change anything on the April price cut, but on the one in Q4, Ill look for a X6800 or AMD if its faster.....

I'll be getting the E6600 for sure, after selling my good old p4 3.0E and saving my pennies here and there I have enough cash for a new system upgrade :D

I totally just bought a E660 like two weeks ago....this sort of really has my mad at my luck of timing.

Oh well..... I'll just get a supah fast quad core in a year or so. :D

I'll be upgrading from an 1100 Mhz Athlon XP/ GeForce MX440/ 768MB pc3200 ddr rig to an oc'ed e6420 c2d / 7900 GS / 2 GB ddr2-800 setup.

...and I'm doing it for free.

Let's just say that "I'm building it one piece at a time, and it hasn't cost me a dime..." ;)
I've been scavenging and trading scrap PC parts for 8 months now, and it's finally paying off. :D

I'm in for anythig under $300.

I was hoping for an e6850, but that won't be out till Q3, and I *have* to build by end of April, so it will likely be an e6600 and an abit QuadGT.

I can't wait!

So the E6600 will drop to $224 on Apr. 22nd? But when do you think places like newegg will actually have this price?

Do you think youll notice the difference?
I think I will...
It probably won't be any one single thing, just a collection of little things.

Playing Halo PC and showing up as a color (not just default gray), playing solitaire in Vista w/o lag (it's that bad), messing around w/ Aero, etc.

And one day I might, just maybe, open Photoshop and Firefox at the same time without worrying about how long it will take the computer to become responsive again.

Until that day comes... I have a dream.

Upgrading to an E6600 with an 8800GTS for gaming and a Quadro(prolly a cheapie 300$ or so) for Autodesk/CAD/3Ds rendering.

I'm waiting until end of December this year to upgrade since I will be studying abroad but hopefully by then the Q6700 should be reasonably priced if not even the QX6800 but we shall see if Intel continues this pattern of aggressive price cuts to chock AMD

I'll be getting a quad for my birthday next Dec.

If the price is right... us Canadians always get shafted :p

gonna jump to a quad, i figure that'll be a good jump from my single core

So these new price cuts.. Does this mean Intel is "cancelling" the April22 Price Cuts?

I'm waiting till a game I want comes along that utilizes more than two cores. I'd love to replace my E6600 with a Q6600, but I honestly have zero need for two more cores at this point. When there is a compelling reason to jump to quad, I'll take stock of what costs what at that point in time and make a decision.

Supreme Commander!!!

I have to admit, I'm kind of tempted to pull the trigger on an E6600 post-cut. Mainly as a gateway to the quads once they really drop later. This is assuming I can get past the whole "do I really need this shit--even for Supreme Commander?" thing...

Theres going to be a ton of buying around the 4th quarter. Vista SP1 should be released. Intel drastic price cuts and DX10 games should be rolling out.

Hmmm Big Xmas season this year me thinks.

I dunno what I'll be getting. I'd like to see what AMD has and VS. what Intel has at the moment. I don't need uber power. I have a 3800x2 @ 2.4 and it's more than fine for what I need. Let's see how many multithreaded games come also b4 buying decision is done.

Seeing how I plan to build a whole new machine in December, it will be great fun to watch prices over the next 9 months. :)

Ill probally pick up a 2.4Ghz Quad when they drop to $500.

Ill also pick up the cheapest 1333FSB 4M chip when those are released.

Back