Project: SmokehMcPC // a revo21 custom build.

el rolio

2[H]4U
So if you have seen my worklogs before you know im a quiet computing, performance machine, wiring enthusiast. Since its my hobby I figured I would enjoy making machines for others, and here is the computer I built this week.

Specs:
DSC00051r.jpg

:D

Basically we wanted an affordable but powerful system. that means a good Mobo between $100-$150, a really good gfx card, and a good PSU. I was even surprised by the total cost. its good to know you can build a monster for between $1000-$1300.

GOALS
• Awesome wiring
• Clean system
• Quiet
• Somewhat powerful (this means overclocking and lots of stress testing/OS optimizing)

-----------------------

Here we go:
The newegg stuff arrived before the weekend and it took 5 more days for the case and accessories to arrive. pics-
DSC00043.jpg

-
DSC00044.jpg

-
DSC00045.jpg

-
DSC00047.jpg

-
DSC00048.jpg

-
DSC00049.jpg

-
DSC00052.jpg

-

So I figured that I might as well setup a test bench, get the system fully installed, tweaked, OC'ed and tested. Best use of time.

image-upload-13-790664.jpg

--
image-upload-27-746613.jpg

--
image-upload-7-705238.jpg

--

It was great. I had the bench setup on the desk with a spare keyboard n mouse attached, with both the bench and my system plugged into the monitor. Eventually the final clocks rested at 2.9ghz on the CPU with the ram just under DDR600 and stock timings. I was able to keep the vcore down and keep the fans on silent Q-fan profiles which meant they only spun up linearly with load and heat. Its great.

---------------

Now we build!

First things first, strip down the case. We don't need no silly drive cages!
-
IMG_2513.jpg

--
IMG_2514.jpg

--
IMG_2515.jpg

--
IMG_2516.jpg

--

I removed the front fan to make way for a yate loon, plus grouped and taped the front panel lights and buttons. Next up I needed the mobo to measure spots for cutting and fitting.
-
IMG_2517.jpg

--
IMG_2518.jpg

--
IMG_2519.jpg

--
IMG_2520.jpg

--

What a pretty PSU! and quiet!
Next up, I went outside to me deck, got out the trusty dremel and metal files. Have to make cuts before any sound damping foam or components can go in.
-
IMG_2521.jpg

--
IMG_2522.jpg

--
IMG_2523.jpg

--

Awesome. Since I wanted to use the stock fan for the back area, assuming it had more airflow than the YL fan, and knowing there would be some heat to get outta the case, i went ahead and sleeved the fans. After that it was simply a matter of running the cables thru the holes!
-
IMG_2524.jpg

--
IMG_2525.jpg

--
IMG_2526.jpg

--

The main power cable was a BITCH to lay flat thru the hole! the mobo was not even coming close to laying flat to be screwed down. I ended up stripping the sleeving a bit to fan out the 24 wires to allow it to work. I got thru eventually. Its definitely hard to install a packed mobo WITH 2 power cables already attached!
-
IMG_2527.jpg

--
IMG_2529.jpg

--
IMG_2530.jpg

--
IMG_2531.jpg

--

For the HDD, we got a Nexus disktwin so I could maybe silence the drive a bit, but also mount it up high and hidden :D One major problem that reared its head was how the bezel would fit back on! The disktwin mounts the drive very close to the front of the case and left no space for the bezel to clip into place. And then I looked closer and pulled out my trusty snips!
-
IMG_2532.jpg

--
IMG_2533.jpg

--
IMG_2534.jpg

--
IMG_2536.jpg

--
IMG_2537.jpg

--

Voila! Last thing to do is drop in the Vid card (so dam pretty! and QUIET! but SUNblazing hot!) and attach the cables, then take it to ma room for heat and sound testing.
-
IMG_2540.jpg

--
IMG_2541.jpg

--
IMG_2542.jpg

--
IMG_2543.jpg

--
IMG_2546.jpg

--
IMG_2548.jpg

--
IMG_2549.jpg

--
IMG_2551.jpg

--

I put 3dMark06 to native res (1680x1050) upped settings and put it on a loop with background apps running. I BEGGED the machine to crash. nope, stable as a rock and venting all the gfx card air from the side fan without bothering the CPU that much. In addition, the cpu pulled some good air from the top 80mm square hole (where I took the top down shots of the cpu fan thru).

The next morning, I tried to take a few more farewell sunny shots. some came out decent most did not. :/
-
IMG_2557.jpg

--
IMG_2558.jpg

--
IMG_2559.jpg

--
IMG_2560.jpg

--
IMG_2561.jpg

--
IMG_2564.jpg

--
IMG_2566.jpg

--
IMG_2568.jpg

--

I was late for work so the plan was to pack and ship over lunch. A suggestion came to think about the PC speaker location, so I went ahead and moved it, and finished up the sound damping, with some "texture" :D
-
IMG_2570.jpg

--
IMG_2569.jpg

--
IMG_2574.jpg

--
IMG_2576.jpg

--
IMG_2577.jpg

--
IMG_2579.jpg

--
IMG_2581.jpg

--
IMG_2571.jpg

--

---------------------------------
SHIPPED! that's all folks. hope you enjoy!

Definetly a lot of pride, creativity, and ingenuity went into the case architecture, sound dampening, wiring, and overall cleanliness. I suppose i'm a bit biased, as it is my PC, but who cares! it seems like I could curl up and go to sleep on the bottom of the case, there is so much room. and that foam looks ever so soft.

It's great to see such a spartan (hah!) interior, with a nice and stable OC. wires? what wires? we don't need no stinking wires. a far cry from the mess of PCs i've used in the past, and now it just needs to arrive in the mail so I can start "fragging".

kudos roli, you'll be building all my PCs as long as I have a say in it.

-smokey

Elegant is a word I would use to describe it. Beautiful job.

el rolio did you compare temps with the side 120mm fan as a intake VS exhaust?

no, hadn't done comparisons "per se" strictly cuz (and this was asked on another forum too) the 3 slits on the bracketed end of the GTS card is where LOADS of heat gets exhausted from the cooler. if you have seen all the pics of folks with 88-family cards in their machines, lots of em use these lil SLOT FAN coolers to vent that air as well.

8800heat.jpg

anyway, i'll find a pic eventually.
What this all means is, there is a part of the card that vents most of its heat, but within the case. what i did is slide the side panel fan bracket so that it can capture that heat and exhaust it right out. Normally the way people want to have side fans intake is when the fan on the card might be starved for air/have open heatsinks needed more direct airflow, but as you can see, there is tons of space around the card, PLUS we have free airflow from the front panel intake, PLUS the card is completely shrouded except for those slits at back.

as for comparisons... well when it was an open bench on my desk to when it went in the case the temps handt changed really for the vid card as well as the cpu, in which case no change is also a good thing.

hope that helps :D

Very nice job as I told you.

I had the same problem with the nexus drive silencer but I shaved down the rubber instead :D

Looks great, you know my only hitch, but we'll let it slide ;)

Im sure those side vents are on the 8800 cards because the exhaust slots are WAY too restrictive. So heat backs up and needs a place to go .

On my CrossFlo thread I show how I modded my 8800.

yep, it is the PC-7B(link) with the plus2 window panel. :D thanks for the compliments fellas.

and yes, it arrived 2 days later,a so last week wednesday. the owner of this bad boy posted when he got it, see below :D

Definetly a lot of pride, creativity, and ingenuity went into the case architecture, sound dampening, wiring, and overall cleanliness. I suppose i'm a bit biased, as it is my PC, but who cares! it seems like I could curl up and go to sleep on the bottom of the case, there is so much room. and that foam looks ever so soft.

It's great to see such a spartan (hah!) interior, with a nice and stable OC. wires? what wires? we don't need no stinking wires. a far cry from the mess of PCs i've used in the past, and now it just needs to arrive in the mail so I can start "fragging".

kudos roli, you'll be building all my PCs as long as I have a say in it.

-smokey

I saw that and I had to post. That is an awesome job, work of art. You do great work.

Awesome, awesome job. Simple, sweet, quiet and powerful. :)

Beautiful.

I have that same case w/o the window. Do you know where I can buy the fan that mounts right next to the video card?

Loosks very nice. But man, you are really trigger happy with your camera (not that it's a bad thing!). :D

How much diffrence does the dynamat sound isolation mat make?

I compare my 8800gtx...without side vent my temps were 62 idle/73 load. Now with the side vent its at 56 idle/ 68-70 load. Much improvement.

Beautiful.

I have that same case w/o the window. Do you know where I can buy the fan that mounts right next to the video card?

www.performance-pcs.com .

Nice job el rolio. I have the exact same case setup w/ window and side vent...they do go perfect with eachother. Maybe i should post up some pics. ;)

Loosks very nice. But man, you are really trigger happy with your camera (not that it's a bad thing!). :D

Guilty as charged, but you know what they say:
images

So i have learnt to do more pics, less talking. only wish i had a tripod to take BETTER pics ya know?

I compare my 8800gtx...without side vent my temps were 62 idle/73 load. Now with the side vent its at 56 idle/ 68-70 load. Much improvement.

Nice job el rolio. I have the exact same case setup w/ window and side vent...they do go perfect with eachother. Maybe i should post up some pics. ;)

Thanks for replying to those questions carbon. i had been engrossed in studies for my GMAT exam last saturday so this is hte first time ive been to the forums in a couple weeks. as for your case, please feel free to post a couple pics here. i love when good worklogs spark some conversation and tips for others to use!

what happened to the v1000 watercooled setup? :(

i still got it homie, and its still runnin quiet and powerful as ever. this was a computer built to order. i figured i should put my intense hobby skills to use right? this way since i cant afford to keep buildin computers, i should build for others. this one was built and shipped to another state!

My compliments to a wonderful build, the difference that a little personal pride someone take in their work makes all the difference. If you dont mind me asking, how much was the total cost?

You did such a nice job there! I thought my cable management was decent... until I saw yours :). For my next computer build I am going to use that exact same case and power supply ;).

Back