"Unofficial" Biostar TForce 550 Thread

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
Just figured I'd start a thread for those of us with the TForce 550 boards. Every other major board has a thread, I figure the Tforce 550 deserves one too.

Reserved for more info coming later :).

If not in your sig, post system specs in your post ;). Include the bios you're running and the version of the board you have as well as normal things like the CPU you're using, etc.

My Tforce 550 rig:
Board: Biostar T-Force 550 v. 1.3
CPU: Brisbane X2 3600+
Memory: G.Skill F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ (2x1GB)
Cooling: AC Freezer 64 Pro
O/S: Windows Vista Home Premium
Bios: Not sure, but it's dated 11/16/06

OC - Seems to hit a wall booting in Windows Vista anywhere over 2.4Ghz. I can run Orthos blend bumping up the speed using ClockGen in Windows up to 2.7Ghz+ depending on the voltage, but it won't boot using bios settings. That doesn't make me happy, but then again, maybe I just need the newer bios. CnQ works fine. Drops the multiplier to x5 and the voltage to 1.1V.

I notice the board tends to overvolt the CPU. 1.375V will give 1.42V according to CPU-Z. Doesn't seem to be much Vdroop (compared to the P5W DH in my sig).

Hi there, 3600+ Brisbane/TForce550(ver 1.3) user here too. I'm also running the G Skill NQ 2x1gb kit. Other components of my system are in my sig.

I'm running the N5TAA207 (2007/02/07) "official BIOS" that I got from Rebels Haven....

http://www.lejabeach.com/Biostar/6100-550/6100550bios.html

I'm not sure where Rebels Haven found this, as I have not been able to locate this BIOS at any of the official Biostar support websites (USA or Tw). In fact the USA website still has the 08/07/2006 BIOS posted for download. I find support woefully inadequate to say the least.

Having said that, so far I've been pretty happy with the experience. I'm running 230FSB at the moment as I'm not into big overclocks and the system has been totally stable.

My OC experience has been pretty consistant with the Hardocp review...
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTExOSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

I hit a wall around 240FSB and can't boot into OS beyond that. This is running Vcore of1.375v in BIOS (which reads 1.424v in cpu-z as well as in Biostar's own utility) and Vdimm of 2.1v (haven't used the 2.4v jumper setting & probably never will) and stock 5-5-5-15 timing.

That's 'bout it. It's a nice system for day to day build it and forget it use, which is what I like.

Yeah, I was wondering about the bioses over at rebelshaven. Since there are three of four different versions of the board out there, I was wondering if they all use that bios or if I should be looking for something specific to the v. 1.3 board.

Yes, I wondered that too, as Biostar has split the v1.3 support page apart from the the previous versions, but when you compare the BIOS file name, they're all the same. The official tw website has the N5TAAB16BS (2006/12/15) bios posted for download for the v1.3 and if you switch to download v1.0/1.1/1.2 bios, it's the same N5TAAB16BS file. Not sure what that's all about, but it just creates more confusion, not to mention the N5TAAB16BS isn't even the latest bios (at least it's newer than the one posted at the Biostar-USA website).

I didn't have a choice but to flash the Rebels Haven bios, because I flashd the outdated one that I got at Biostar-USA's website before I realized it was totally outdated version. The sound stopped working (due to lack of Vista support I assume) after that incident, so I had to get the latest from Rebels Haven to revert back to the correct bios.

It could have been worse I guess. It's actually pretty pathetic when you have to scrounge around for the latest bios from a third party website. :p

Which bios? The official or the modded bios? I might have a go at the new one when I get to work tomorrow (I put that board in my work computer ;) ).

I'm running the official bios N5TAA207. The only difference is that it adds more CPU support compared to the N5TAAB16BS, which is the one that comes from the factory on the v1.3 mobo, I believe. For 3600+ Brisbane users, it shouldn't matter, as they both ID that chip just fine.

I will more than likely buy this board w/ the Newegg x2 3600 combo one thing that is holding me back is the northbridge cooler since Newegg reviewers claim it is loud. I would rather here it from a [H]ard member, so is the northbridge cooler loud?

My NB fan is very quiet. In fact, my entire system is very quiet despite the fact that my Antec 900 case has a big mesh covered hole in the side panel & the entire front panel is one big mesh covered face.

Having said that, I do think there's a lot of sample variations in those small 40mm fans they use on the northbridge, so I can see how one can end up with a bad sample that's loud. Luck of the draw I guess.

I will more than likely buy this board w/ the Newegg x2 3600 combo one thing that is holding me back is the northbridge cooler since Newegg reviewers claim it is loud. I would rather here it from a [H]ard member, so is the northbridge cooler loud?

It depends on the other components in your system. I have a X1950GT which is kind of loud since it uses the 1900 series cooler. The northbridge fan is quieter than the video card.

I'm running the official bios N5TAA207. The only difference is that it adds more CPU support compared to the N5TAAB16BS, which is the one that comes from the factory on the v1.3 mobo, I believe. For 3600+ Brisbane users, it shouldn't matter, as they both ID that chip just fine.

I guess I won't flash then. My biggest problem is booting over 245mhz HTT speed. It'll run fine in Windows at 290+ mhz, but won't boot in bios :(. I suppose I could run ClockGen in my startup sequence, but I don't really want to do that if I don't have to :(.

Well, I experimented a bit over the weekend. Bumped the FSB up to 238 (from 230 - yes I'm being conservative) at the same time reduced the Vcore down to 1.350v in BIOS (was 1.375v), which results in cpu-z reading of 2261Mhz @ 1.392v (this board seems to over volt). I also changed the ram divider to /6. All this resulted in CPU temperature dropping a couple of degrees from around 35C to 32C under full load, which was what I was hoping for. Now running a bit faster, yet cooler, which meets my goal of mild OC, while retaining good system stability (ran Orthos for two solid days without a problem).

I really like this little board / Brisbane combo, but if I had to nitpick,

I don't like....

- The limited dimm voltage settings. My "memorry" (as it's called in the BIOS, lol) is rated for 1.8v, but the lowest setting is 1.9v and only goes up to 2.1v (unless you use to 2.4v jumper setting, which is more than what I want). Not that I would really run it at 1.8v, but it should have more options.

- The limited number of SATA ports. Four ports are simply not enough. I've got a SATA DVD drive, and two HD's plugged in, and I'm already down to one open port to play with.

I do like....

- The stability and ease of setup, which part of the credit goes to Vista. I have to admit that I really like Vista, despite all the useless eye candy.

- The Brisbane chip and how cool it runs. This thing is awesome in how efficient it is in the power consumption. Full load and OC'ed 16%, it barely hits 32C.

The Brisbane does run somewhat cooler than my OC'd E6600 with similar voltage (obviously not the similar clockspeeds) with nearly the same cooler (AC Freezer Pro's on both).

Low power & efficiency is all nice & fine, but if the rumored price drop on the X2 6000+ comes true, I might be seriously tempted to throw cuteness out the window for the fire breathing power sucking chip, lol.

After running at 238 HTT for the last four days, today I had to back down to 230 with 4/6 timing due to I found roughly 1 out of 4 DC work units were being rejected for computational errors. I also took the cpu core voltage down to 1.30v which reads as 1.344v in cpuz. With this setting the cpu temp at full load is about 31C. Seems there is a definite knee in the curve passed 230 that puts a lot more stress on the system. Its obvious by the way the temperature just shoots up. For running 24/7, I think about 230 FSB is it for me with this mobo/cpu/ram combo.

BTW, memtest86+ in BIOS won't run with 4 sticks of ram equaling 4gb. It ran fine when I had 2x1gb, but with 2x(2x1gb) setup, the test aborts and goes right back to the BIOS menu. I can run it from a boot disk, and it had no errors running 7 hrs overnight.

The G Skill NQ dimm that I'm running won't run much passed the rated DDR2-800 spec. At 230 FSB, it won't boot with /5 ram divider. It's a decent ram, but definitely not for overclocking.

I would agree. The NQ memory isn't much of an OCer. That's ok though. Right now it's less than $150 or so at newegg for the 2GB kit.

Try $139 (the price as of today at the Egg). Ouch!

I paid $169 just 3 weeks ago and I thought I was getting a bargain when I picked up the second 2gig kit for $155 last week.

Oh well, such is life in the digital world.

I thought I'd pipe in. I got this same combo from newegg and am running it with some Patriot PDC22G6400ELK ram. I'm using the N5TAA207RH bios - this is the newest from Biostar with some tweaks by Polygon. I've been running 300x9.5 sold as a rock with 1.375vcore.

I love this combo!

I had the same questions about the 1.1,1.2 and 1.3 bios stuff being the same so I did MD5 addsums on both bios files and they were exactly the same.

I'm loving the Biostar TF550... what an excellent board.

dsc05581af2.jpg

dsc05582rn8.jpg

dsc05573cx3.jpg

dsc05675wr3.jpg

dsc05674pf4.jpg

Rest of the pics and specs here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1113595

I thought I'd pipe in. I got this same combo from newegg and am running it with some Patriot PDC22G6400ELK ram. I'm using the N5TAA207RH bios - this is the newest from Biostar with some tweaks by Polygon. I've been running 300x9.5 sold as a rock with 1.375vcore.

I love this combo!

I had the same questions about the 1.1,1.2 and 1.3 bios stuff being the same so I did MD5 addsums on both bios files and they were exactly the same.

Where did you get that bios?

I'm about to get this mobo, how high can you adjust mem voltage? Anyone having problems overclocking DDR2?

The bios really confuses me, the manual is actually decent but the Over clocking navigation tab that is explained in the manual doesn't match what is in the bios, what is up with that?

OMG. I just noticed where the 24 pin connector is located...haha...i might have to get the DFI Infinity M2 now. :p

OMG. I just noticed where the 24 pin connector is located...haha...i might have to get the DFI Infinity M2 now. :p

Yeah, I had to do some fancy work with twist ties to get it to stay out of my HSF.

I think you can adjust the memory voltage up pretty high with the jumper onboard. 2.2 or 2.4V. I don't remember which one off the top of my head.

So has anyone test for the max HTT the board can run at?

My Max HTT that boots into Windows from bios is kind of low. Only around 240mhz or so. I've had it up around 280-290 once I'm in Windows using ClockGen though. Seems to work ok.

does the location of the power connector on these boards prevent you from using a bigger heatsink like a tuniq tower or scythe ninja?

does the location of the power connector on these boards prevent you from using a bigger heatsink like a tuniq tower or scythe ninja?

I think it depends on how adept you are at routing your cables. I used a zip tie and got it away from my heatsink (Freezer 64 Pro) and video card.

anyone using Buffalo Firestix ddr2 1000 1gig sticks in this mobo? Id just like a confirmation on if they work ok or not. I've got 4gb of it sittin here for my high rig build coming up and id like to just use one now until I purchase something else for this biostar. Thanks.

I'm seriously considering this board. Would love to see how ppl r doing with it.

Is the VDimm top 2.4 or 2.5? Which Bios revisions. Not looking for modded.

What are the best OC's ppl are having with this board. Brag ppl!

I'm seriously considering this board. Would love to see how ppl r doing with it.

Is the VDimm top 2.4 or 2.5? Which Bios revisions. Not looking for modded.

What are the best OC's ppl are having with this board. Brag ppl!
id like to know too. i need a mobo for a 3600 brisbane setup and this one is on my list. only downside to this mobo is the placement of the atx connector.

I can get a 3600+ up to around 2.7Ghz before it craps out on me. I'm using about 1.42V to do that. I'm not impressed with the shipping bios. Somewhere above linked the other "modded" bioses available. I haven't tried them as I build the computer as my work machine and don't really care about raw speed over stability. I run daily at stock voltage and 2.4Ghz. Boots everytime and has no issues with stability in Vista Home Premium. For the price, it's a good board.

i need a mobo for a 3600 brisbane setup and this one is on my list. only downside to this mobo is the placement of the atx connector.

Thats the one thing that turned me off to the Biostar T-force. I mean thats just a terrible spot for it.

Could folks that are already using this mobo please list what ram they are using(dont care about the OC specs currently). Im sure more folks out there besides myself would appreciate it if you could list the ram your using so we could sorta compile a list of whats working well/boot issues etc etc. I've not heard if this board was picky or not, but i dont want to make a $150+ mistake. Im lookin at alternates for the X2 3600 build i just ordered paired with the biostar. I am thinking the pc2-6400 firestix should be good enough, but perhaps there is a slightly cheaper alternate at 667 that clocks to 800 or 850? Thanks for your time.

I'd like to hear about RAM too...is this board kosher with pc6400 800 ddr2 ram?

Questions for all of you biostar users. How does vista like this board? I've seen some bad reviews on newegg about it, and am concerned about issues. I'm not looking for a problem with any new board :0

Questions for all of you biostar users. How does vista like this board? I've seen some bad reviews on newegg about it, and am concerned about issues. I'm not looking for a problem with any new board :0

I installed Vista Home Premium without any problems (X2 3600+ combo with 2GB of memory and a X1950GT). Was my only Vista install at this point, and it went without a hitch other than drivers for my video card.

Hi
I appreciate this thread, and I could use some advice (as could many others, I'm sure, due to the popularity of this board). I used to be a 'power user' and have built/tweaked many systems, but I got into building custom bikes a couple years back and have been 'out of the loop'.

I'm doing my first build in a while (and my last few were P4/865 stuff) so the new AMD terminology and baselines are new to me. I picked up a TForce550 and a Brisbane x2 3600, some Patriot eXtreme Performance DDR2-800 (4-4-4-12, 2x1g) and a GF7600GT. I have a good 500watt PS, a T-right XP-90 heatsink, and put a bigger heatsink/fan on the 550 NB chip. She booted right up with no sweat, and I loaded the most recent bios (2-07-07) from the Biostar website. Running Memtest 1.7 to break her in tonight.

So here is my question: what are the critical BIOS settings? There must be 5,000 combos in that sucka and some of the terminology is past me entirely. I'm well aware that every rig is different and YMMV, but I have this sneaking suspicion that there is some key setting I've left undone, and my X2 is farting along as an X1:)

I'm cool with the basic bios settings and terminology, but the curent AMD performance settings are confusing. Assuming I have capable ram and all the other blocks are in place, what OC settings should I be most attentive to? And what the hell is an HTT?

Thanks, and any info appreciated.

Back