Looking for a Gigabyte DS3 replacement

howardlee

n00b
Looking for a Gigabyte DS3 replacement, should in the same price range.
My DS3 give me too much trouble, I want get another board.
it do not need to be extreme overclocking board. I will be happy with 450 fsb

I'd second the biostar 965pt board. It's cheaper than ds3 and in my opinion way better. There's also the p5b vanilla, that should be able to hit 450fsb as well. However, if I were to pick between the two, I'd probably go with the 965pt, although the bioses are still a bit scattered (as they are with all boards it seems). The problem I recall with the latest biostar bios is that multiplier adjustment is still a little funky.

If you're willing to wait another month, the dfi infinity p965 is slated to come out. From everything seen so far, it'll be an absolute killer of a board and around the price of ds3, or a little more only.

Also, the p5n uses 650i chipset and is pretty cheap and good performer. Should do 450fsb as well.

What makes the DFI Infinity p965 so good that some posters are saying it's the best thing since sliced bread. What's the release date?

Google didn't turn up any enlightening articles or threads.

What makes the DFI Infinity p965 so good that some posters are saying it's the best thing since sliced bread. What's the release date?

Google didn't turn up any enlightening articles or threads.

check over at xtremesystems.org/forums

it should be able to go up into the 500's with ease while still on 1066 strap, like abit qgt. also, for 400's, it should be able to do with stock 1.25vmch.

has extremely generous vdimm selection, and overall very stable and overclockable board.

check over at xtremesystems.org/forums

it should be able to go up into the 500's with ease while still on 1066 strap, like abit qgt. also, for 400's, it should be able to do with stock 1.25vmch.

has extremely generous vdimm selection, and overall very stable and overclockable board.

I don't totally understand all that technical jargon. So the main benefit is just being able to overclock more than current boards and the strap keeps you from frying the mobo?

so why not just buy a QuadGT now ...?

and overall very stable and overclockable board.
Until we get feedback on the retail stock nobody really knows that yet.
Too often pre-production models have shown performance that the retail stock couldn't match.

I wouldn't expect the Infinity 965 to be as cheap as the S3/DS3 either.
Initial production is slated to be all S (solid cap model) to start with followed a couple of weeks later by the electrolytic cap version.
By the time that DFI have the 965 in stores others will have Bearlake mobos coming in ...

I don't totally understand all that technical jargon. So the main benefit is just being able to overclock more than current boards and the strap keeps you from frying the mobo?
lower strap means less internal chipset latency means faster speed at higher fsb than with higher strap.

so why not just buy a QuadGT now ...?

Until we get feedback on the retail stock nobody really knows that yet.
Too often pre-production models have shown performance that the retail stock couldn't match.

I wouldn't expect the Infinity 965 to be as cheap as the S3/DS3 either.
Initial production is slated to be all S (solid cap model) to start with followed a couple of weeks later by the electrolytic cap version.
By the time that DFI have the 965 in stores others will have Bearlake mobos coming in ...

I think you said it best yourself. Since bearlake is coming out soon, it wouldn't be reasonable for dfi to charge that much. It'd be way less than the qgt/commando at launch for sure. It's been rumored to be at 140, so I'm guessing initial premium would be 150-160 at worst, which is p5b dlx territory. Since it offers the same features as dlx and more promise (1066 strap!), that's not a bad price at all.

It'd be way less than the qgt/commando at launch for sure. It's been rumored to be at 140, so I'm guessing initial premium would be 150-160 at worst, which is p5b dlx territory. Since it offers the same features as dlx
this always makes me shrug - in Europe the QuadGT is cheaper than the P5B Deluxe ....:confused:

quadgt is going down in price, at least on newegg, only $160 after rebate. That's cheaper than P5B Dlx territory. Supposed to be a great board, just make sure you get the latest bios update or you could be in for some trouble...

I think the QuadGT is what I'm going to get. I've been looking at everything from the DS3 to the DQ6 to the Commando... nearly every well-reviewed P965 board... and I'm still not sure. But with the Newegg deal and since I was looking at QuadGT, I'll probably get it. It's supposed to be one of the highest overclockers, and all on the 1067 strap, just like the DFI is promised to be. With a new official bios that will tweak the board a bit for overclocking, it should be an awesome board

Back