X64 SP2 "driver is mismanaging system ptes"

jrouss

n00b
Anybody else getting this message?

I tried installing SP2 for X64 this a.m. and got tis error after a running windows for a few minutes. I think this is a video driver issue because I went into VGA mode and it worked fine. After that I did a system restore in case the SP2 install was bad. Then I did a fresh reinstall of SP2 and got the same error "driver is mismanaging system ptes" stop 0x000000da. The last thing I tried was reinstalling the video driver from scratch using driver cleaner and still got the same error. I have once again removed SP2 but, would like to figure this out.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

System

X64
2 GB OCZ 7200
Geforce 8800 GTX
OCZ 700 watt P/S
2 WD Raptors Raid 0
Benq DVD/RW

All my NVIDIA drivers are the latest

Same problem here!

I even created a slipstreamed XP X64 SP2 CD and installed from scratch. The only thing I did was install the latest Nvidia x64 drivers for my 8800 GTX and rebooted. INSTANT BSOD!

Thanks Nvidia for the great drivers and not working with Microsoft. This is a HUGE issue that should have stopped SP2 from being released. Anyone doing minimal testing should have found this. I can’t believe that someone at Nvidia didn’t test SP2 with their products and inform MS of the problem.

Now What? Install Vista? That combination is buggy as a loon also….

I have been away on business and just got back. Does anyone know if this issue has been fixed by Nvidia or Microsoft?

In most cases it is a driver issue, in some cases it due to not creating a good X64 SP2 slipstream cd.

Fresh XP x64 install followed by SP2 ... no problems.

6.86 nForce drivers
93.71 Nvidia graphic drivers
7600GT

This seems to be worse with 8800 cards. I found a workaround however. Instead of running the Nvidia installer simply extract everything and install the drivers manually from device manager. Doing it that way allowed me to then boot without the blue screen.
DOM

I had the same issue when trying to work with Geforce 8200 + Radeon 4550 simultaneously under XP x64 SP2 (worked flawlessly in SP1)

Nvidia claiming this is a microsoft bug, the workaround is to replace the newer videoprt.sys with the older version from SP1, after the update to SP2 / Slipstreamed installation.
(you have to do so while the system is not running, for example: boot from WinPE / BartPE)

more info:
http://vm1.duckdns.org/Public/Nvidia/XP-x64-PTEs-Issue/Nvidia.pdf

videoprt.sys from SP1: [version 5.2.3790.1830] (srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447)
http://vm1.duckdns.org/Public/Nvidia/XP-x64-PTEs-Issue/videoprt.sys

Good luck,
Tal Aloni

Last edited:
Running XP x64 SP2 (slipstreamed) with the latest Nvidia drivers for my 8600M GT. No problems here...

upload_2018-11-21_10-32-38.png

It's good that you are providing new links, but you could have edited your original post. I don't think anyone here is using Windows XP anymore, at least in their main box.

Back