Partial resolution with boot problems Gigabyte 965P DS3 and E4300

RBWilton

Weaksauce
I made some progress getting my E4300 (Rev. 3.3) and 965PDS3 stable by making the volt mod so the CPU’s default voltage posts at 1.40V. It now shows 1.40V as the default voltage in the Bios

http://sg.vr-zone.com/?i=3904

Prior my max without warm/cold boot problems was 2.9GHZ. It has posted consistently after the V mod for 2 days at 334 x 9 for 3.0GHZ. . I’m not sure if this would help anyone else because part of my problem is the CPU seems to crap out around 3.050GHZ at a little over 1.45volts. I still can’t post 375 x 8, so it hasn’t made too much difference on the FSB. I also tried the mod for posting at 1066 FSB, but it didn’t work. I might give it another try though since my connections were not that clean

Glad to hear you are making progress. But something is really "not quite right" going on, you really should not have had to resort to such a radical fix, I would have considered RMAing the board. Anyway 'you gots to do whats you gots to do and I am glad it helped.'

I am working on a DS3 guide and with the cold boot/lose cmos settings issue still cropping up, may I ask:

What bios version are you using ?

Setting the cpu voltage to 1.4V in the bios apparently did not help with your issue ?

Do you have a fan on the MCH/northbridge chip ?

Thanks for your reply.

Glad to hear you are making progress. But something is really "not quite right" going on, you really should not have had to resort to such a radical fix, I would have considered RMAing the board. Anyway 'you gots to do whats you gots to do and I am glad it helped.'

I am working on a DS3 guide and with the cold boot/lose cmos settings issue still cropping up, may I ask:

What bios version are you using ?

Setting the cpu voltage to 1.4V in the bios apparently did not help with your issue ?

Do you have a fan on the MCH/northbridge chip ?

Thanks for your reply.

1- F10

2- Setting 1.40 in the bios (or 1.45 as I've been using) did not have the same result. The reason I tried this (and maybe not a good reason) was I noticed that the smart fan option as disabled did not seem to kick in for a few seconds after power up. My guess was maybe the bios voltage adjustment could possilbly be delayed also, and cause boot failure. I still have no idea if this is a valid assumption, but it did help for one reason or another.

3- No fan, but removed and applied AS5 and screwed the Northbridge down like another poster mentioned. It doesn't seem like NB heat would explain part
of the problem, which was cold boot failure on settings that would work repeatedly when the system was warm.

Thanks will keep all that in mind for my troubleshooting section. Really something weird going on. It sounds like you have as good a handle on it as can be expected.

smart fan option as disabled did not seem to kick in for a few seconds
Think you are on to something there. Do not know what but it does not seem right to me either. Will keep you in mind as I surf for DS3 info etc.

You may have already seen it but if you would like a full set of bios hi-performance settings just to check yours against I have a full bios setup suggestion here:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1169366

Back