Got my Sharp Aquos LC-32GP1U "Gaming" 1080p display today!

bm5

n00b
In honor of the gigantic westy thread, I'm starting a new one for the Sharp GP1U gaming 1080p displays.

First things first, let's put an end to the rumors. This monitor *DOES* do 1920X1080 at 60Hz:

sharp6.jpg

Here's what I am replacing (dual Apple 23"):
desk.jpg

Making some room to put the new Sharp down:
sharp2.jpg

Size compared to the Apple 23"
sharp3.jpg

A comcast HDTV shots:
sharp4.jpg

And finally a quick game shot (CoH):
sharp5.jpg

First Impressions:
I like it! I primarily bought this to use as a computer monitor with occassional gaming & video use. I think 32" is just about right without the pixel pitch becoming a problem. This is very useable as a monitor.

I ran dead pixel buddy and could not find any stuck or dead pixels (yea!). Backlighting seems fairly even too.

I think there's a slight blue push or maybe it's just that my eyes have gotten used to the crappy apple monitors. The apple 23" have a crazy pink hue (it's impossible to get grey on the apple, only pink). In any event I will be calibrating it over the weekend.

Anyways this is just a quick post. This weekend I'm going to hang it on the wall. Once I get a chance to calibrate and tune it, I'll post a more in-depth review.

In the meantime feel free to ask if you have any questions. I'm liking it so far!

Does it do 60hz via the dvi connection with a pc ? Congrats,looks great,hope you are enjoying it !! :)

i look forward to reading your review.

On the record, im officially jealous. Im gonna pick one of these up next fall when the price goes down a little!

I've never seen Company of Heroes at such high level of beauty...Damn.

My laptop has a VGA port and s video port. What is the best way to connect with this LCD since it only has DVI,HDMI and component receivers? Which cable should I buy? Thanks very much...:confused:

UPDATE: Picture is looking fantastic. Problem fixed. If you do end up having this problem, make sure to select 1 to 1 pixel mapping via the Sharp remote.

My best friend also got this LCD earlier today via Buy.com, to make a long story ...... it does not work very well as a PC monitor. We took many pictures that I will post soon.

It looks great for Xbox 360 and HDTV for via DVI and HDMI for a PC display, it looks like ass.

Yes, we tried everything. it's not crisp at all like my Westy 37".

needless to say, he is pretty upset.

It shows there is a 1080p signal via nvidia drivers being feed to the display, it shows 60, 59, 30 and one other Hz.

Drivers are current and non-beta .... very high quality cables used.

Spent 2+ hours trying to get the the picture looking correct but no go.

The pictures I will post soon tell the story.

Hold off on this LCD if you are thinking it's better than a Westy for a PC monitor. Trust me.

UPDATE: Picture is looking fantastic. Problem fixed. If you do end up having this problem, make sure to select 1 to 1 pixel mapping via the Sharp remote.

Here are the promised pictures.

The one with the brown halo type blemish is a defect in the screen. Sharp sent out a tech and a new set is on order, however, he said that so far, he has heard bad things about these sets in terms of quality.

The picture is great, but the workmanship is bad he said.

He has 11 years with Sharp.

The TV is made in Mexico, new plant they have. He named it off, I don't remeber. Supposed to be state of the art.

The TV has 3 dead pixels and the blemish.

Yes, the screen is the best we could get it after a few hours and every setting changed over and over again, any combination we could think of, old drivers, a different computer, a different video card, different cables, DVI and HDMI etc etc etc.

Not very happy. Also, the dead pixels are rather large .... as where on my older W1 Westy, I had several but they were very very tiny. We are thinking this set has a larger dot pitch.

8427e800.jpg

a0a7955b.jpg

1644e391.jpg

7e1ae277.jpg

27f04a19.jpg

You r breaking my heart rthefly:p I was about to order this monitor primarily for a computer screen and secondarily for gaming and blue ray dvd. I am looking for tv/monitor above 30" which can be driven by a single graphics card. Looks like I have to wait still longer:(

What is the port you have connected the tv to? on the tv side what is the port used? Thanks

schweet

i was eyeing up getting the 52" version of the Sharp Aquos, they look so damn sharp.

hmmm... i thought my 24" LCD seemed big, wonder what that 32" would look like on a desk.
don't think my desk can hold it.

DO NOT BUY THIS IF YOU ARE WANTING TO USE IT FOR A MONITOR.

8427e800.jpg

[]

I have a quick question for you.

One problem is:It first looks like Your "friend" seem to operating the unit at a non native res. This will effect picture quality.
As you can see from the pictures your desktop icons are off the screen in the top left hand corner.
But since the screen shows 1920 x 1080 in the panel setting you either have the monitor set at either zoom or streach?

This line has gotten very, very good reviews for picture quality from Consumer Rerports.

Best

JMD

Can you post a few pics of the monitor connected to the computer? I want to know about the quality of the display and resolution. My primary use is for computing and secondary for gaming!

Nice clock...! I am also a die hard BMW fanatic like you:D

I currently own, two Acer 24" LCD's, a Westinghouse 37" W3. My friend Chris owns my old Dell 20" Wide, and uses a Dell 1705 laptop with a 7900 GS for his main computer until the Quads drop at which point he will finish building his new PC, of which, he has all the parts for including os.

We had the same results on the Laptop as we did on my Desk Top and also my wifes SFF AMD FX 55 w/ SLI 7900 GS's.

Now, a few weeks ago when I got my Westy 37" I made a post telling people how crappy the picture looked but as one poster told me, the drivers do not output a 1080p signal by default under Windows XP. A simple change in the driver and my Westy was looking incredible.

But with the Sharp, I cannot, my friend cannot, get the Sharp to look any good in regards to a PC Monitor. Now, like I said, we hooked it up to his Xbox 360 as well as a Cox HDTV cable box and yes, the picture was fantastic, dark blacks and a exceptional picture. No problem there.

For a PC monitor? No, sorry.

I am also very curious to see someone else post some high quality pictures of the Sharp as a PC monitor. After our two hours, I can almost promise you the quality will not be anywhere near as good as a Westy as far as a PC monitor.

And no, nothing is streched or anything idiotic like that.

Some very real effort and time as well as thought was put into getting this Sharp hooked as a PC monitor, 2 - 3 hours, many, many, many combinations of driver settings, old drivers, beta drivers, tweeked drivers, a fresh install, we looked for firmwares for the Sharp and even the video card, we searched high and low on several forums, a few different cables, even an HDMI cable, 3 different pc's, nothing worked, period.

I would love for someone to tell me what I need to do get his Sharp looking right.

I would also like to see more shots of the PC monitor portion... I like many spend alot of time surfing, IM , opening word docs as well as gaming..... So this would be important..... I'm really on the fence with this model I so want to like it and I do believe it is a good unit but the westy is the king of large monitors for now but the Sharp has the potential to dethrown it

Why are all those pictures taken at an angle?

I mean I don't doubt that you have tried and it has failed as a PC display, but it's hard to tell shit from the angle of the pictures you took.

Thanks for the pictures BM5...glad to see you up and running. I use this tv as a pc monitor and having owned 2 previous Westinghouse 37lvm w3s I have to say the picture on this 32GP1U is much much better. The blacks are on this set are even better than I had on my 20" crt. Edge to edge the display is crisp, clean and the colors vibrant without being over saturated.

Using a 37" inch to me was very tiring, felt like I was working to read. This display once properly set will blow you away...32" is indeed the sweet spot.

I do video editing for a living and spend a lot of time in the front of my monitor and this thing is absolutely perfect. I haven't even hooked up the tuner yet as I was intending to use this primarily as a pc monitor. It's sweet. I know other people have had issues and this may be related to particular sets...but if you don't take time to find out how nice this display is, you're doing yourself a disservice. I own Dell lcd displays (3) as well as ( 2)37" westys which have since gone back, brand new 24" Gateway (also returned) and this set is easily, hands down, better than anything else I've laid my eyes on. Commander...I GUARANTEE you will love this set!!

Cheers,

-Scorp

The Westinghouse 37" lvm w3 is a nice display for the money, but this monitor is in a totally different league...with the added tuner, hdcp compliant, 3 HDMI, 6 1080p inputs, side and rear terminals, 6ms, no lag, no ghosting...it rocks!!

lol It's early, I may have missed it. I was just curious because the poster above mentioned it being sub par as a PC display. I'm generally interested in picking one of these up to go along with my 24" Gateway and 47" Westy, but it would have to excel as a PC display.

Quite frankly the 47" Westy is an amazingly crisp PC display and my blacks are fine, so I'm interested to see how this compares.

32" certainly is a sweet spot for a PC/Console display, but so far reports are mixed on just how well it does as a PC monitor.

DO NOT BUY THIS IF YOU ARE WANTING TO USE IT FOR A MONITOR.

8427e800.jpg

I don't think he is using 1:1 mode. see how both the icons and task bar are off the screen? If he is using one of the "stretch" modes it would indeed make the pixels larger.

Maybe he got unlucky and got a bad unit. Mine has 0 bad/stuck pixels.

Ask him to set it to dot-by-dot mode (it's the "view mode" button on the remote), it should improve things dramatically. I also found turning down the sharpness helps too.

Ok, great news. The problem is fixed and it's looking great. And no, we were not using 1 to 1 pixel.

I apologize for this as we didnt not read the manual to the Sharp.

I will try and get some pictures up. It looks fantastic.

The 300 dvd screener looked incredible. Great color.

Ok, great news. The problem is fixed and it's looking great. And no, we were not using 1 to 1 pixel.

I apologize for this as we didnt not read the manual to the Sharp.

What was the incorrect setting you were using?

I got to say this monitor beats the westy hands down....and I owned 2 at one time.
I had problems getting it to 1080p at first because my ati x850xt was set to use alternate timings...As soon as I ticked it off in catalyst and set the monitor to dot for dot...bingo!, it produces an AMAZING picture! The monitor will support even higher resolutions as well as 1920x1080p @ 75HZ. It looks excellent at 720p and 1080p. Damn this monitor is sweet!

Run don't walk to the nearest place you can get one. I kid you not. I suck at taking pictures but I'll give it a shot if anyone is interested.

Cheers

-Scorp

Just so you know I'm using a dual link cable DVI - I connected to input 7 DVI - I

To add: I have zero dead pixels and as I pointed out...excellent...I mean excellent blacks.....I think I'm gonna wet myself!

Does this have the handshake problem like the westy does for the ps3?

Sorry I take lousy pictures....more lousy pictures to come. lol

I'm getting reflections from a skylight on the second picture...it's actually black looking at the screen.

1of1hl7.jpg

2of2dg2.jpg

It’s either this TV or the 37” Westy. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

The Westy. is cheaper also. :(

yup.. decision.. decision.. hmmm.. I might wait for another month and see if this TV/LCD is indeed worth getting it :)

EDIT: btw, do you think Best buy would have this next month? I might pick one up.

God this puppy is expensive compared to the 37" Westinghouse. I'm not sure that it is worth the extra cost, but it is a nice middle between my 47 and 24.

Question, what is the difference between the gaming model and this model that I can actually purchase locally?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Shar...sem/rpsm/oid/174523/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

The one you linked doesnt have DVI ;)

Anywho, I've decided on getting one of these. I really appreciate the thread guys! The only problem is, do I want the 32in or the 37in?!?!?! Hah...

yup.. decision.. decision.. hmmm.. I might wait for another month and see if this TV/LCD is indeed worth getting it :)

EDIT: btw, do you think Best buy would have this next month? I might pick one up.

I've scoured our computer system trying to get any information about this TV at all hoping to get it with my discount. But unfortunately, it doesnt look like we are getting it. It might not be the same nationwide, but we are one of the bigger stores, and we also have a magnolia. So if we dont get it, I fear others wont either.

Oh thanks for the info (god I'm dense sometimes)

So the lack of DVI, is that it? I mean would I get the same PC results using an HDMI to DVI (to PC) with this set?

I know that would work 99% of the time, just want to make sure that is the case with this model.

So it has component, do the component support 1080P?

No vga is a bummer, just trying to figure where my 360 would go in this display. PC to HDMI, PS3 to HDMI and 360 to component?

AHHH! Why don't stores carry the good models, I hate online shopping for LCDs.

Hah, yea. I was just checking out similar Aquos models in store, as I assume they will look pretty much the same, if these newer ones arent even better. I really want to order one, but I just cant commit to the 32inch when the 37in is only a couple hundred more...

For one of you guys who has it, how does the standard def video look on it? I'd mainly use it for gaming, computer work, and watching HD DVD/Blu Ray, but I still want to watch some traditional television on it, which the channels I like arent available in HD :(

If you plan on getting this for your PC and desktop go for the 32". It has a higher contrast ratio and you won't get eyestrain like I did with the 37" westy. I'm not discounting the westy, it's a good deal...but for all the extra connectors, tuner built in, 4ms response time....it's a no brainer. Plus if you decide to later use this as a tv...the tuner is built in and it's hdcp compliant, unlike the westy.

-Scorp

I use mine for PC and I haven't hooked up the tuner yet...but I've seen pictures of SD and it looks as good as source you're putting into it. Either BrianJ or Brandyfan posted some pics...on this forum or avsforum...can't remember.

Yea, I'm not too worried about the SD quality, I just dont want it to be unbearable to where I want to leave my SD TV in my room.

Anywho, mainly im going to use it for 360/PS3 and HD/Blu Ray. Then use it for playing PC games and watching xvids. I doubt I'll ever use it just for general surfing (although I say that now, it might not be the case when it gets here).

Alright, I gotta head to work for a meeting. I'm gonna take another look at the 32in TVs and decided once and for all if they are big enough for me ;)

Oh thanks for the info (god I'm dense sometimes)

So the lack of DVI, is that it? I mean would I get the same PC results using an HDMI to DVI (to PC) with this set?

I know that would work 99% of the time, just want to make sure that is the case with this model.

So it has component, do the component support 1080P?

No vga is a bummer, just trying to figure where my 360 would go in this display. PC to HDMI, PS3 to HDMI and 360 to component?

AHHH! Why don't stores carry the good models, I hate online shopping for LCDs.

I'm wondering this also. I would rather buy it locally.

I'm sure there wouldn't be anything wrong with using an HDMI to DVI Cable.

Crutchfield has this model for $100 less then Circuit City.

Back