MS Extends Vista Bulk Deal To Europe

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft is now extending its bulk deal for Windows Vista to Europe starting today. There are already complaints about the price cut not being enough, even though this is the same deal you get here in the states.

The bulk license discount, which Microsoft made available to U.S. customers in February and extended to European customers on Monday, allows small businesses and home users to install the same edition of a previously purchased Windows Vista operating system on additional computers.

Heh, Europe is turning into a continent full of whiners.

Really. Hell you want to talk about an over priced os look at how much mac os is with the updates over the same time frame as windows is. Same with like redhat workstation. Want to say it is 180 bucks.

If you don't like the price of the ms os don't buy it. Simple as that. Use mac os, linux, bsd or whatever. You can get support for any of them.

There are already complaints about the price cut not being enough, even though this is the same deal you get here in the states.
I say they should get the thumb out of their ass, I don't quite think their proctologist would recommend it.

There are already complaints about the price cut not being enough, even though this is the same deal you get here in the states.
The difference is:
Vista Ultimate Retail USA $380
Vista Ultimate Retail UK $540 before sales tax (which we pay @ 17.5% even for online orders - companies can reclaim the tax but consumers can't)

Even with the 10% off for an extra licence that's $100 more before tax than a full retail pack in the US ...
If you factor in the discount in the USA too it's ~40% dearer before tax, factor in the tax & it's about 2/3 dearer ...
If you knew that you were being ripped off to that extent wouldn't you moan too?

Funny how the eruopeans are quick to jump and say how much more ultimate is and use that in their justification.

It's like they NEED to have ultimate to function with windows....

Also, the prices are the same for the rest, these guys are a bunch of cry babies.

Windows Vista Home Premium - 500$
Windows Vista Business - 571$

Great research though.

Thanks, but obviously you haven't done research or you are shopping at a CompEU or something.

Basic:
http://www.kikatek.com/product_info.php?products_id=22449&source=froogle

About $105?

Home Premuim:
http://www.pctechonline.co.uk/home/product_detail.asp?id=1065&catid=21

About $130?

Ultimate DVD:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?MS-VU32O

About $210?

Wow, let me tell you, you guys pay hundreds if not thousands more :rolleyes: *sarcasm*

Perhaps I need to start a petition as to why we are paying so much more for BWM's, Mercedes, and Bentleys here vs in the EU.... hmm ruff up some feathers eh?

Perhaps I need to start a petition as to why we are paying so much more for BWM's, Mercedes, and Bentleys here vs in the EU.... hmm ruff up some feathers eh?
At the current exchange rate, you are likely paying less:
German price list 335i sedan (pre tax), no upgrades: a smidgin under 34.3k euro
the base price for a 335i in according to bmwusa.com is (incl. delivery charge) $39,675

www.xe.com
converts 34,300.00 EUR = 45,798.71 USD
I am not sure, but I'd guess that means that a ``base'' 335i is cheaper in the USA than in Germany.

<back on topic, somewhat>

That aside, MS has the right to charge whatever they want in whichever country they'd like to charge it. That right, however, needs to be balanced with the right of consumers to import software from any country that they wish. As such, I should be able to be a smart entrepreneur and buy copies in the USA and resell them in the UK, making a little profit in the process. Taking into account that the language differences between the USA and the UK is `small' I'd assume that most Brits wouldn't mind a US version for less than what is charged in the UK.

Thanks, but obviously you haven't done research or you are shopping at a CompEU or something.

Basic:
http://www.kikatek.com/product_info.php?products_id=22449&source=froogle

About $105?

Home Premuim:
http://www.pctechonline.co.uk/home/product_detail.asp?id=1065&catid=21

About $130?

Ultimate DVD:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?MS-VU32O

About $210?

Those are OEM, not retail. The retail versions are listed at roughly 400$ and 680$ for the Home Premium and Ultimate respectively at the Novatech site.

Those are OEM, not retail. The retail versions are listed at roughly 400$ and 680$ for the Home Premium and Ultimate respectively at the Novatech site.

Simple solution for that is to buy the oem. I do see what you are saying but hell you have a choice of which to buy. Hell you have a choice not to buy either. MS can charge what they want for it.

Wow, cry me a river. Do you want Microsoft to give you icing on the top too while they are at it?

Believe it or not, a lot of people here in the UNITED STATES purchases OEM too.

The subject of this thread is bulk prices such as OEM, we are arguing bulk prices, perhaps you need to take notice of subject titles?

Buying OEM when not a system builder is against the T & C.

Currently the exchange rate favours the UK in that we get $1.9 to the £1, yet Vista is not anywhere near the same price.

Mind you it's better than Adobe who seem to believe that $1 = £1

Heh, Europe is turning into a continent full of whiners.

We are just following the tradition started by the good ole U S of gay, we saw you lot whine about every conceivable thing so we thought we would jump on the bandwagon...

Wow, cry me a river. Do you want Microsoft to give you icing on the top too while they are at it?

Believe it or not, a lot of people here in the UNITED STATES purchases OEM too.

The subject of this thread is bulk prices such as OEM, we are arguing bulk prices, perhaps you need to take notice of subject titles?

We're discussing price parity, are we not? No need to take a teen girl hissy fit when it doesn't go your way.

And no, these are not 'bulk prices such as OEM'. Perhaps you need to take notice of subject titles?

The difference is:
Vista Ultimate Retail USA $380
Vista Ultimate Retail UK $540 before sales tax (which we pay @ 17.5% even for online orders - companies can reclaim the tax but consumers can't)

Even with the 10% off for an extra licence that's $100 more before tax than a full retail pack in the US ...
If you factor in the discount in the USA too it's ~40% dearer before tax, factor in the tax & it's about 2/3 dearer ...
If you knew that you were being ripped off to that extent wouldn't you moan too?

OUCH!

Damn bro, 17.5% tax??? Wow. :eek: Do you pay that on everything? A 10% price cut from MS barely covers half the tax you are paying! :( I feel for you.

The average wage in the U.S. is something like $13 to $15 an hour for regular workers. What is the average wage in the UK?

Let's keep this thread on track and the personal insults out of it. There is no need for insults, flames, thread craps or any of the other stuff.

Simple solution for that is to buy the oem. I do see what you are saying but hell you have a choice of which to buy. .
Well, I'm just going by the article that this links back to which says
"The bulk license discount, which Microsoft made available to U.S. customers in February and extended to European customers on Monday, allows small businesses and home users to install the same edition of a previously purchased Windows Vista operating system on additional computers. Customers can purchase up to five additional licenses at 10 percent off the suggested retail price."
As you can't buy OEM retail I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that the deal doesn't apply to OEM licences.
Especially if it does apply to oem though then 10% off isn't much of an incentive - ~$15 off Home Premium OEM.

OUCH!

Damn bro, 17.5% tax??? Wow. :eek: Do you pay that on everything? A 10% price cut from MS barely covers half the tax you are paying! :( I feel for you.

The average wage in the U.S. is something like $13 to $15 an hour for regular workers. What is the average wage in the UK?
No, it's not on everything but it's on an awful lot - e.g. exceptions are groceries & children's clothes.
Some EU countries go as high as 22% I believe so we're relatively well off :rolleyes:

Average male wage in the UK is ~$45000 at the current (beneficial) rate of exchange but it's quite hard to compare directly due to the major differences (things like free healthcare that's available for everybody here) & there are major variations between more/less prosperous regions as there are in the USA.
In terms of consumer goods though the US is pretty much always cheaper than in the UK.

Back