Run Linux, Lose Warranty

HardOCP News

[H] News
I’ll bet you didn’t know that installing Linux on your new computer could void your warranty. That's exactly what happened to this lady that bought a HP laptop. Don’t let stories like this dissuade you from installing Linux, we spent 30 days with Linux and didn’t void a single warranty.

When she called Compaq -- the unit comes with a one-year warranty on the hardware -- they asked what operating system she was running. When she told them Linux, they said, "Sorry, we do not honor our hardware warranty when you run Linux." In order to get warranty service, she was told, she would have to remove Linux and reinstall the original OS.

I had this argument with Dell a couple of years ago. What I finally convinced the manager was:
When you buy a computer, you are really buying two warranties. One covers the hardware, and one is for any pre-installed software. Software cannot damage the hardware unless it is specifically written to behave maliciously; Linux does not fall into this category. The proof of this, is the Windows refund- it takes some arguing to get, but it does exist.

A different story, is that their technicians are trained to run Windows diagnostics. If you wipe Windows and the corresponding tools, it becomes your responsibility to troubleshoot. If you can't substantiate your problems, that's your own fault.

Reading between the lines a little, this is common to HP, Compaq, and Dell. If there are any issues at all a complete restore from the factory provided image must be done before any warranty work will be issued. This is how they determine whether it is virus/spyware or not right off the bat. If you delete the image or install an OS other than what was shipped, they can and do deny warranty claims.

I sell around 100 systems a year, and can say that in 90% of the situations were the customer thinks there is warranty needed (no internet, running slow, cannot print), it is entirely due to spyware infections and virus infections. Codecs for bittorrent movies seems to be the scam of the day. Few research what P2P programs install tons of malware and which are clean. Fortunately I am able to explain that if it software related, there will be a cleanup charge, and if it is bad hardware the warranty claim will be no charge.

Can you imagine HP educating every single person that buys there product. After the 3 months of free Nortons or McAfee is up these type of customers have immediate problems it seems. The same 90% would certainly not be able to backup pictures, music, and outlook/express based email effectively.

Like it or not, I do not see a mass merchant computer reseller taking the time to go over software related issues over the phone with someone who does not understand basic computer maintenance. They have to request a full destructive reinstall, and see if the issue still is present. Too bad the the 10% of advanced users suffer.

Dell does have a fairly good diagnostic utility built into there images, able to detect memory, hardrive, and a fair number of other hardware issues from the F12 boot screen.

It is up to the consumer to find out that not all warranties are honored in the same fashion, and some are near impossible to make good on.

Cheers!

They have been doing this for years. It is not just linux either. They will not support non-factory installs of windows in a lot of cases.

They have been doing this for years. It is not just linux either. They will not support non-factory installs of windows in a lot of cases.

That is just outrageous. There is no reason to not support non-factory installs of Windows XP or Vista. They are the same as the factory installs, except with none of or very little of the bloatware.

why should they? as far as I know, the major computer manufacturers have their own custom windows software, equipped with their drivers and support apps. they didn't say they wouldnt support it period, they said she needed to install the HP software so that they know for sure its the hardware and not glitchy drivers

this is like me swapping out the engine in my car and then demanding that the dealership still provide mechanical service

why should they? as far as I know, the major computer manufacturers have their own custom windows software, equipped with their drivers and support apps. they didn't say they wouldnt support it period, they said she needed to install the HP software so that they know for sure its the hardware and not glitchy drivers

this is like me swapping out the engine in my car and then demanding that the dealership still provide mechanical service

provide mechanical service when the car fails, that is

I think you quite get it. It's NOT like changing an engine it's like buying a car which the car manufacturer voids the warranty because you the buyer let someone else drive it. Wow. Why is it that when DRM is concerned everyone gets pissed off that you can't use the music/video you purchased the way you want but in this case it's different?

I think you quite get it. It's NOT like changing an engine it's like buying a car which the car manufacturer voids the warranty because you the buyer let someone else drive it. Wow. Why is it that when DRM is concerned everyone gets pissed off that you can't use the music/video you purchased the way you want but in this case it's different?

that analogy would work if the driver you were lending your car too happened to be an unlicensed, immature, rebellious teenager with a history of driving way too slow... then it'd be like you taking this illegitmate man-child's word for it that your car no longer drives instead of letting the owner take it for a spin and see first-hand

that analogy would work if the driver you were lending your car too happened to be an unlicensed, immature, rebellious teenager with a history of driving way too slow... then it'd be like you taking this illegitmate man-child's word for it that your car no longer drives instead of letting the owner take it for a spin and see first-hand

Wow, if I said that to an Apple fan about OS X I would be under fire from all fronts. You basically put down an OS which is more than worthy of respect.

That is just outrageous. There is no reason to not support non-factory installs of Windows XP or Vista. They are the same as the factory installs, except with none of or very little of the bloatware.

Same? Maybe, maybe not. In the case of media center you have some custom drivers that only the MFG provides(can't remember what it was for, think it is for streaming in standby). It doesn't come on the std oem disks(had a machine that this came up on when we formated it to get rid of the crap).

Anyway if you install windows yourself the MFG doesn't know if there was an issue with the disk, maybe it was an older version and the drivers the mfg require a newer one(like some need sp1 or greater or something), maybe you are using third party drivers(ie you get the motherboard drivers from asus because they made it but the board isn't 100% the same). Hell they don't know if you used a legit version, maybe you loaded a different windows(ie it came with home and you loaded pro), etc. You know how many times dell has told me to restore a drive with the restore partition before they will send a part? I had an optical drive in a notebook not to long about that was skiping on audio cds and giving read errors. They told me to restore the system first. I went off. Thing is to support all of these situtations really starts to cause issues with support. Makes sence for them not to support it.

While others don't agree with this I think you are close. I think it is more like you switch out the lights, maybe wire in some switches inside, wire up a new stero etc. Car screws up and the dealer will not work on it because the wireing has been tampered with. Know a friend that had a car that they wouldn't touch becase of this. If he wanted to take it in he had to switch out the headlights and some other things as they were trying to claim they were messing with the electrical system(which was possible). Hell maybe compair it to changing the oil. I know for a while some car makers required that a dealer do the oil changes to honor the warranty. Want to say Ferrari still does this(need to use ferrari oil and filters or the warranty is gone) but I could be wrong.

manufacturers sell a machine in a certain configuration, and will support what they sell. if they didn't sell you a given configuration, they why the hell would you expect support?

if you want support for a laptop with linux on it, buy it that way, dont be the internets next drama queen because you can't do what the fuck you want.

A different story, is that their technicians are trained to run Windows diagnostics. If you wipe Windows and the corresponding tools, it becomes your responsibility to troubleshoot. If you can't substantiate your problems, that's your own fault.

You hit the nail on the head, the retarded customer service agents working out of bombay need to read off their cue cards to help them diagnose problems.

"What does windows tell you now."
"It's not windows it's Linux"
"uhhh... so is it a blue screen?"

All I know if some dude called me up saying his shit didn't work and wants a replacement... and then tells me he's not using all of the shit that I sent WITH the product, I'd tell him to suck one.

Not using the OS that the computer was built for is asking for problems and many hardware issues will likely be software-caused. Fuck all that.

If they built a computer for use with and only with Debian, and you installed Windows on it and some piece of hardware didn't work after, you'd have no one to blame but yourself. OH WAIT, you would never have that problem with windows anyway.

Upgrading windows too!!!!!
I worked as gateway support through Tag and this isnt the only thing we werent allowed to support.
If you upgraded your windows, say from 98 to XP, or XP to XP pro we were not supposed to support you until you downgrade. Unless you bought the upgrade at an overpriced priced from us that is.
We also weren't supposed to give any support other than selling them antivirus/spyware crap if they had a any problems we "thought" were virus or spyware related.
We were not allowed to tell them about things like AdAware etc, AVG free antivirus, etc...

We could not tell someone to use Mozilla Firefox to correct IE problems, we could only mention that it exists (while I was there, most people thought IE pretty much IS the internet).
When people didnt know what the problem was they liked to get people started on really long tests that do nothing and tell them to call back when its done (magangement didnt condone this).
We were suposed to sell so many items a day (why I quit, Im a computer techie not a salesman, I hate selling someone something for a problem I know how to fix for free)

Sell Sell Sell was our battle cry. A sad thing to have to do to someone who thinks they are getting the warranty they payed for.

If they built a computer for use with and only with Debian, and you installed Windows on it and some piece of hardware didn't work after, you'd have no one to blame but yourself. OH WAIT, you would never have that problem with windows anyway.

Yes, you can have that problem with Windows. I have two HDTV tuner cards that are supported in Linux but not in Windows. I'm running Debian, and the cards work great.

I also have a Nokia N800, which runs a derivative of Debian. Windows is not supported. If you want to make a warranty claim, you better be running what Nokia supplied.

Some stuff doesn't work with Linux, some doesn't work with Windows, some only works with certain versions of Windows, and some doesn't work worth a crap with any OS. Anyone who buys hardware without checking if it is supported is an idiot, not matter what OS they use.

Yes, you can have that problem with Windows. I have two HDTV tuner cards that are supported in Linux but not in Windows. I'm running Debian, and the cards work great.

I also have a Nokia N800, which runs a derivative of Debian. Windows is not supported. If you want to make a warranty claim, you better be running what Nokia supplied.

Some stuff doesn't work with Linux, some doesn't work with Windows, some only works with certain versions of Windows, and some doesn't work worth a crap with any OS. Anyone who buys hardware without checking if it is supported is an idiot, not matter what OS they use.

I'll bite. What tuner cards do you have that are not supported by windows?

Anyway that internet tablet is a good example. Hell PDAs and Ipods are too. You think apple will give support if you are running linux on an ipod? What about linksys supported wrt64g or whatever it is called. Nope. Not sure why people would really see the computer as that much different.

I'll bite. What tuner cards do you have that are not supported by windows?

Anyway that internet tablet is a good example. Hell PDAs and Ipods are too. You think apple will give support if you are running linux on an ipod? What about linksys supported wrt64g or whatever it is called. Nope. Not sure why people would really see the computer as that much different.

Its not the fact that they wont support software that didnt come with the machine, its that they wont touch the machine. If a buy a car and replace the tires/wheels, I dont expect the car maker to warranty them. I do however expect them to warranty the rest of the car.

Whats funny is running XP instead of linux has more potential to get a virus that could mess up your computer.

Its not the fact that they wont support software that didnt come with the machine, its that they wont touch the machine. If a buy a car and replace the tires/wheels, I dont expect the car maker to warranty them. I do however expect them to warranty the rest of the car.

I worked at a car dealership a couple years ago and I remember one case of this pretty well. The dealership was closing a deal on a $60,000 Southern Comfort conversion Tahoe, but the 16 year old who was getting the car for his birthday wanted 20" wheels. The dealership refused to put on 20" wheels and tires because it was not supported. They almost lost the deal until the owner included five wheels and tires in the price, but said they had to be mounted elsewhere.

The problem was that the model used electronic sensors to read tire pressure, estimated gas mileage, etc. I want to say it was one of the first years Chevrolet started adding this to the luxury trims. So dealerships were not allowed to mount wheels that were not an option on the vehicle. They were required to perform warranty work on any other part of the vehicle unless the technicians could perform that the replaced parts caused the failure.

So I do think its reasonable that the company refuses to perform warranty work on the computer because they cannot use their diagnostic tools to check if its software or hardware.

Oh and let's please try not to flame the father of the 16 year old too much for buying his son a $60,000 vehicle for his first vehicle because the kid probably already wrecked it or decided he wanted a sports car instead to wreck.

Bitch and moan all you want. They are 100% right to do this.

You want a different OS? Good for you. Restore to factory default when you send it in.

They support the laptop and the software it was shipped with. Do you call them for help when you BitTorrent client isn't working? No. So why would you expect them to help with whatever random OS you installed?

They have extensive troubleshooting precedures to cover the defualt OS setup of the laptop. If they can't perform them they are well within their right to refuse to do the work. If you have a problem with it you're more then welcome to skip the warranty coverage.

As for all the horrid analogies that everyone insists on in EVERY thread, at least try to make them relevant? If you were to override the default software on any car the manufacturer wouldn't do warranty work. No Anaolgy is needed. Software to software. Mod your XBOX to linux? Guess what, no warranty. Hack your iPod for god-knows-what-purpose? No warranty coverage. Hack your phone? No warranty.

By changing the software in all these situations you're hampering their ability to diagnose and fix problems. Besides, if you're sending a laptop in for warranty work WITHOUT testing the factory install first you need a slap in the head.

Bitch and moan all you want. They are 100% right to do this.

You want a different OS? Good for you. Restore to factory default when you send it in.

They support the laptop and the software it was shipped with. Do you call them for help when you BitTorrent client isn't working? No. So why would you expect them to help with whatever random OS you installed?

They have extensive troubleshooting precedures to cover the defualt OS setup of the laptop. If they can't perform them they are well within their right to refuse to do the work. If you have a problem with it you're more then welcome to skip the warranty coverage.

As for all the horrid analogies that everyone insists on in EVERY thread, at least try to make them relevant? If you were to override the default software on any car the manufacturer wouldn't do warranty work. No Anaolgy is needed. Software to software. Mod your XBOX to linux? Guess what, no warranty. Hack your iPod for god-knows-what-purpose? No warranty coverage. Hack your phone? No warranty.

By changing the software in all these situations you're hampering their ability to diagnose and fix problems. Besides, if you're sending a laptop in for warranty work WITHOUT testing the factory install first you need a slap in the head.
This isn't always an option. When I first got my Dell a couple of years ago, I did participate in the Windows Refund program- I called Dell and told them I was rejecting their license, and demanded a refund. I got it. That means that I am legally no longer allowed to run the factory XP image, as I have not paid for a license.
When my keyboard and hard drive died (separate incidents several months apart), it was up to me to confirm that they were in fact dead- the technicians were clueless how to deal with my "unique" licensing situation. Luckily these were both easy to determine and explain.

THEIR product, THEIR rules. You don't like it? Don't BUY it! :rolleyes:

Software cannot damage the hardware unless it is specifically written to behave maliciously; Linux does not fall into this category.

I remember the http://www.winxponmac.com/ contest hack was missing a fan driver and causing mac books to overheat and some people were complaining of permanent damage.:rolleyes: The day after this report, bootcamp beta arrived magically on queue.

As for the OP, i wouldn't say they voided her warranty, they are only trained in windows, and insisted she install it for them to be able to help her.

If she reinstalled her original software, then sent her laptop in for service. HP will honor the warranty. My shop repairs close to 10,000 computers a year with 90% being HP/Compaq.

If a customer sends in a machine with LINUX(an OS I am only dabbling with, and have zero experience on)how am I suppose to help this person. If they were smart enough to install Linux on a pre-built machine, they should be smart enough to troubleshoot it.
(That is different from a customer sending their computer in, stated DVDRW doesn't open, and they installed Linux) The hardware is always covered.

Now HP's own repair center deals with thousands of computers a day.. The techs are trained to repair and troubleshoot the hardware and software sold with the computer.

Of course I don't expect the manufacturer to support an operating system that they didn't install. I've waved support for my software for every computer I've used.

However, this was a hardware failure, not a software one. If my power supply goes out and I'm running my XP Pro because I needed partitions set up rather than their single partition XP Pro setup, I still expect them to replace the power supply.

Luckily, IBM/Lenovo is pretty good about warrantying hardware; I had RAM that was giving me issues, and a drive that clicked. Neither system was running their install, but they supported it.

Actually, the laptop I'm typing this on now came with DOS. No OS installed, as it was originally a company system that I bought off-lease. So, by the same concept, I can't install an OS on it, or else I'll lose warranty.

My TV cards are HD-3000's from http://www.pchdtv.com/. But I'm going to have to stop using them as an example, because the web site now shows support for Windows. When I bought the cards, they provided drivers for only Linux. After a while, the standard Linux kernel started to support those cards and the vendor drivers weren't needed. Now the vendor supports Windows. Time marches on. And once again, I missed a step...

Back on topic, a little discretion goes a long way in the support world. I once had poor network performance with Cox cable, and could see that the problem wasn't my router or modem. I called Cox support. The asked what version of Windows I used. I told him I used Linux. He told me that they didn't support Linux. I told him that I knew that, and wasn't asking for support for Linux, I was reporting a network problem. He explained that he didn't know what commands to ask me to try for troubleshooting, so I asked him to tell me what he what would ask a Windows user to do, and I would figure out what the equivalent commands were. He was OK with that. He asked me to ping a certain address 50 times, and I gave him the packet loss and range of reply times. He agreed that there was a problem in their network, and escalated the ticket to the network people. The problem cleared up within ten minutes.

Some problems cannot be caused by software. For the ones that can, it's reasonable to ask that the system be restored to the configuration as shipped. But someone at HP knows which problems can only be broken hardware, and there ought to be a way to get to that person.

Also, as a note, when I build computers for people, I tell them there are basically two warranties with it. Hardware, and Software. Software, the only warranty I have is that restore disc. The way I set it up is what I'll support. Every time I go work on a computer, it's because they installed spyware or got a virus because they haven't updated their AV software in months. Each is a non-warranty issue, and I charge accordingly for it. I've gone back twice over hundreds of service calls for software that I installed that wasn't working, and both involved macro support in Office XP. I figured out what was going on there, and haven't had a service call due to my software in over 5 years now.

Hardware, I've only had to warranty once, due to a drive that failed. The only devices I've had somewhat routinely fail were modems, which stopped working after thunderstorms, that didn't apply to warranty.

Of course I don't expect the manufacturer to support an operating system that they didn't install. I've waved support for my software for every computer I've used.

However, this was a hardware failure, not a software one. If my power supply goes out and I'm running my XP Pro because I needed partitions set up rather than their single partition XP Pro setup, I still expect them to replace the power supply.

Luckily, IBM/Lenovo is pretty good about warrantying hardware; I had RAM that was giving me issues, and a drive that clicked. Neither system was running their install, but they supported it.

Actually, the laptop I'm typing this on now came with DOS. No OS installed, as it was originally a company system that I bought off-lease. So, by the same concept, I can't install an OS on it, or else I'll lose warranty.

Again, HP IS NOT REFUSING THE HARDWARE WARRANTY! They only ask that she install the factory default OS to ENSURE it is NOT a driver problem. She said its a problem with the keyboard not responding when she types too fast or some garbage.... that could very well be a driver problem and NOT THE HARDWARE.

It may be worth bringing up that the issues she was having could have been software. I have seen some(like maybe 5) machines that had issues you would think were keyboard issues. I also saw some that were just the keyboard was setup to a different type that caused issues. Depending on how the person explained the issue to hp it "could" have sounded like it may be in software.

Most vendors require you to do their testing or have them do it. If you can't(in this case because you removed the software) then it is your issue.

Also the warranties use to spell this out pretty clear. If I get a chance I'll find the warranty info on my compaq notebook which is running linux(pre-black friday sale system from last year). Do I think they will give me support with linux? No. If it fucks up I'll ship it to them with a blank drive in it or something.

All I know if some dude called me up saying his shit didn't work and wants a replacement... and then tells me he's not using all of the shit that I sent WITH the product, I'd tell him to suck one.

Not using the OS that the computer was built for is asking for problems and many hardware issues will likely be software-caused. Fuck all that.

It's a computer, not a freaking console.... A general purpose computing device. It should be able to run anything that has the drivers for it.

This is like saying that a car was "designed for" Goodyear Eagles. Sure, that may mean that the engineers and factory all test with Goodyear Tires (and probably get payed by Goodyear for it), but that does not mean it's ok to void a warranty because a car owner has put Yokohama or Pirelli Tires on the car.

Furthermore, even if I were to replace the entire exhaust system on my Chevy truck with wider pipes, if Chevy refused to honor the warranty to fix the air conditioner (which has nothing to do with the exhaust system), I'd look for a lawyer. I'd understand them not covering the exhaust system and related things at that point, but not the AC.

If HP wanted to reformat the machine when it was sent in and format it stock (which is what they do anyway), that's one thing. All backups and data preservation would be up to her. But to tell her to re-install the default install of Windows, so that when the service center gets it, they can wipe it and reinstall the factory install anyway is stupid. This is because you never trust what a user is doing to their machine when working in IT, you might check out things they suggest first in a cursory fashion, but you never trust their installs, their security, their user accessable settings, any of it... This is why machines are often wiped when sent in for service.

'tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Bottom line: If you are introducing variables into an equation that are unaccounted for, you must remove said variables in order to ensure the equation itself was right (and still is) in the first place. This is why they require you to remove any unknowns before they'll service the hardware. If the software is not something they've tested it with as a "known-good" condition, they have no way of knowing it's not the software causing some sort of issue. By requiring you to revert to the stock configuration, they eliminate any unknowns and can ensure that you actually have a problem, rather than wasting both their time and money.

It's a computer, not a freaking console.... A general purpose computing device. It should be able to run anything that has the drivers for it.

This is like saying that a car was "designed for" Goodyear Eagles. Sure, that may mean that the engineers and factory all test with Goodyear Tires (and probably get payed by Goodyear for it), but that does not mean it's ok to void a warranty because a car owner has put Yokohama or Pirelli Tires on the car.

Furthermore, even if I were to replace the entire exhaust system on my Chevy truck with wider pipes, if Chevy refused to honor the warranty to fix the air conditioner (which has nothing to do with the exhaust system), I'd look for a lawyer. I'd understand them not covering the exhaust system and related things at that point, but not the AC.

If HP wanted to reformat the machine when it was sent in and format it stock (which is what they do anyway), that's one thing. All backups and data preservation would be up to her. But to tell her to re-install the default install of Windows, so that when the service center gets it, they can wipe it and reinstall the factory install anyway is stupid. This is because you never trust what a user is doing to their machine when working in IT, you might check out things they suggest first in a cursory fashion, but you never trust their installs, their security, their user accessable settings, any of it... This is why machines are often wiped when sent in for service.

Didn't I JUST comment on bad anolgies like 4 posts ago?

Does changing the tires effect the behaviour of the AC? Not likely. Hence your anaolgy is completely and totally useless. Here's a better one... Overwriting the vehicles software. No Analogy required, and no warranty work done.

The POINT of having them reinstall the base OS is so johnny mcDumbfuk doesn't send it back whining that something doesn't work, when in reality it's a linux problem. Obviously if this policy is in place they've had problems with it in the past, and the fact that you wouldn't even consider reimaging before returning for warranty simply proves them right.

umm the whole point is that Linux drivers are not the original drivers .. and therefore its impossible to know if its a driver problem or not

'tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

the only fool is you. you argument has no substance and so you go quoting some totally irrelevant things from 200 years ago.

fact is, linux is uncertified, not mainstream, sometimes incompatible, and still developing

You hit the nail on the head, the retarded customer service agents working out of bombay need to read off their cue cards to help them diagnose problems.

"What does windows tell you now."
"It's not windows it's Linux"
"uhhh... so is it a blue screen?"

Truly, I've gotten this response when talking to techs. What was funny in my situation was that the tech was of the understanding that linux was just an application that ran on top of windows; I should close it before continuing with the diagnosis.

However, I didn't get mad at him then for not knowing how to work with linux, nor would I get mad at them now. I would be mad if they didn't trust my initial diagnosis; But then I don't bother with the truth when talking to tech support and haven't for a long time. I tell them what they want to hear and what will get me the results I need. As most linux users have done for a LONG time.

I don't fault HP/Dell/ect for this behavior. My problems with them lie in hiring out to india/china in the first place.

Back