How to enable "Log On As Batch Job" right in Vista?

zacdl

[H]ard|Gawd
I found out my Synctoy job in Task Scheduler was not running because it says the user wasn't logged on at the time.
So I enabled the option to run it even if the user is not logged on.

When I applied it, it said the user has to have the "Log on as batch job" right, and to see the Task Security Context in Help for more information.

Well, not only is there nothing about Task Security Context in Help that I could find, I also see no advanced user settings anywhere.

So I guess my question is- how do I enable this right- or at least get to the user configuration section, as I don't see it in Comp. Management anymore.

I'm still having troubles.

I'm even willing to start from scratch at this point.

SyncToy just won't run under Task Scheduler. I even create the job under the Administrator account, run it as Administrator with "Highest Rights", reguardless of being logged on, and it still won't run (Obviously starting the synctoy within the specific user's account, not the same one for all). Always some sort of logon error.

Any suggestions? What are you guys using to back up?

I just need something scheduled and automated. I don't care about anything other than C:\Users\User\ type of data (Docs, Pics, etc).

"Log on as batch job" rights are assigned through the security policy.

Run gpedit.msc
Under Local Computer Policy --> Computer Configuration --> Windows Settings --> Security Settings --> Local Policies --> User Rights Assignment is the option. Just open it up and add a user or group to that right.

As for the other question - I've been using Acronis True Image for a few years now, and am quite happy. I've also fooled around with the Windows Home Server beta, but it doesn't support x64 flavors of Windows at this time, and I wouldn't trust beta software with anything that important. ;)

Does Home Premium not have gpedit anymore?
I tried running it previously, but no go.

After you suggested it again, I thought I did something wrong, but it still doesn't find it.

I can start MMC but I don't see a group policy snap-in.

I might have to go and use the Windows Backup utility I guess... It drives me nuts why this won't work though.

Not sure. Then again, in mine (Vista Ultimate) I didn't see it sitting in a nice spot either. However, just directly running it (i.e., "gpedit.msc" from the prompt) worked.

That is how I normally run it as well, but it doesn't find it (says its not a command).

You running Home Premium?

Back