Dual Display's on a glass desk, need some info.

Alright guys, I want to clear up some of my desk space so I've been sort of playing with the idea of getting a dual LCD mount for my (2) 226BW's. Problem is of course that my desk is all glass, so weight is an issue for my monitors. Now, can any of you guys recommend a solution? Wall mounts are more or less out of the question at this current moment due to the fact I'm moving soon. So either a solution for a desk mount (maybe put a 2 inch thick piece of wood under the C Clamp?) or a desktop freestanding mount. Can you guys give me some feedback or suggestions? Thanks again for the help, as always it is very appreciated. Here's a picture of what the setup looks like currently.

DSC01650.jpg

DSC01657.jpg

Thanks again

Don't worry about that desk. It looks like it could hold over 100 pounds. I'm using a dual display on a glass desk with a 19" CRT and a 21" LCD. Its about as thick as yours.

Don't worry about that desk. It looks like it could hold over 100 pounds. I'm using a dual display on a glass desk with a 19" CRT and a 21" LCD. Its about as thick as yours.

Well I suppose I'm not really worried about the weight near the center of the desk, it's more like attaching a clamp to the edge of it for an arm mount of some kind.

I don't understand what your problem is? Whether your desk is glass or not really is irrelivant to how you mount your monitors. It's plenty strong enough for a fat man to sit on, a few LCDs are nothing.

Given how thick the glass looks, I'd disagree with your opinion that a fat man (how fat?) could sit on it without the OP worrying. It might not crack, but if the OP's concerned about it, he'll obviously be hesitant about letting fat guys near his desk.

I'd be comfortable with a side-clamping desk mount, but I'd toss in some felt or other material between the clamps and the desk if the clamps look a bit nasty.

Given how thick the glass looks, I'd disagree with your opinion that a fat man (how fat?) could sit on it without the OP worrying. It might not crack, but if the OP's concerned about it, he'll obviously be hesitant about letting fat guys near his desk.

I'd be comfortable with a side-clamping desk mount, but I'd toss in some felt or other material between the clamps and the desk if the clamps look a bit nasty.

If I give you guys the think-ness of the glass, I wonder if there's a calculation for it. Hmmm...Well I now see you guys get my point, I dont want my desk to shatter under one stress point from two monitors hanging on the desk

phide has it right. Don't even let fat guys near the desk. They cannot be trusted.

Not to single out what you're saying but in all reality the class wouldn't crack, most commercial products build things like desks and entertainment centers with safety glass.. the minute it exceeds a certain threshold.. it will shatter into a lot of little cubes.

As for the OP, they make arms that attach to the desk horizontally and just clamp down on it.. them just sitting on there wouldnt be enough weight to shatter the glass though, especially since your case/keyboard/mouse or arms probably have never even touched it :-p

If you want to mount them on a dual arm.. you could always buy some piping or straight iron and weld or nut and bolt it into the frame of the existing desk.. then mount something off of that.. but you still run into the problem that it might look like hell :-P.. if you have some specific arms in mind it might help us to devise you a plan.

Not to single out what you're saying but in all reality the class wouldn't crack, most commercial products build things like desks and entertainment centers with safety glass.. the minute it exceeds a certain threshold.. it will shatter into a lot of little cubes.

As for the OP, they make arms that attach to the desk horizontally and just clamp down on it.. them just sitting on there wouldnt be enough weight to shatter the glass though, especially since your case/keyboard/mouse or arms probably have never even touched it :-p

If you want to mount them on a dual arm.. you could always buy some piping or straight iron and weld or nut and bolt it into the frame of the existing desk.. then mount something off of that.. but you still run into the problem that it might look like hell :-P.. if you have some specific arms in mind it might help us to devise you a plan.

Thanks man, I had a feeling like that; you're prob. right. In that case, last night I bought this.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=LCD-194&cat=MON

Hopefully it will work out, im going to either A. tear up an hold mouse pad to put on the clamp to pad it or B. go out to the hardware store and get some heavy duty rubber to pad it between the glass. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Where do you hope to clamp the arm mounts onto? The glass desk? I'm confused too. Surely the current set up is ok since each monitor stand is spread over a wide area and relatively close to the stand mounts under the desk. There cannot be one single weight limit for the entire desk because the amount of weight it can handle would depend greatly on where exactly on the desk you place the item, and over how much area the weight is spread.

That said, I agree with the other posters in that it looks like it can safely hold both monitors. I'd suggest that if you were clamping the monitors onto the glass it would far worse than the current setup, since it would be clamping onto the edge of the glass right in the center and as far from the desk mounts as possible - not a good thing. Maybe I'm not understanding the question... :confused:

Where do you hope to clamp the arm mounts onto? The glass desk? I'm confused too. Surely the current set up is ok since each monitor stand is spread over a wide area and relatively close to the stand mounts under the desk. There cannot be one single weight limit for the entire desk because the amount of weight it can handle would depend greatly on where exactly on the desk you place the item, and over how much area the weight is spread.

That said, I agree with the other posters in that it looks like it can safely hold both monitors. I'd suggest that if you were clamping the monitors onto the glass it would far worse than the current setup, since it would be clamping onto the edge of the glass right in the center and as far from the desk mounts as possible - not a good thing. Maybe I'm not understanding the question... :confused:

Ok, think of it this way. You have weight spread out all over a surface. Example= My monitors the way they are now, on their standard Display stands.

Now, why I want to do is buy a arm mount (which clamps the very edge of the glass desk) that holds BOTH monitors. As in a dual display mount. Now, with all of that pressure and weight on that single area of the glass desk, I was worried if it was going to be an issue of the glass breaking.

If you didn't under stand me then....here's something to picture in your head.

You're on a frozen lake, walking. The ice starts to crack because your weight is all in one place.(My monitors with this LCD Mount Arm with clamp) What do you do? Lay down belly first on the ice and spread out your arms and legs to disperse your weight all around.(My Monitors currently)

It's tempered glass, which means there's a huge amount of surface tension. The only ways to break it are to pierce that tension (something sharp and with a lot of pressure), place something far too heavy on it, or to strike it with a lot of force.

When my mom bought my dad a 40" widescreen Sony LCD TV, which took two people to carry (three to be safe), she also got a new glass TV stand for it. The glass looks about the same thickness. You should be fine with those two monitors. If you can sit on it (assuming you weigh more than the two monitors combined), all should be fine.

It's tempered glass, which means there's a huge amount of surface tension. The only ways to break it are to pierce that tension (something sharp and with a lot of pressure), place something far too heavy on it, or to strike it with a lot of force.

When my mom bought my dad a 40" widescreen Sony LCD TV, which took two people to carry (three to be safe), she also got a new glass TV stand for it. The glass looks about the same thickness. You should be fine with those two monitors. If you can sit on it (assuming you weigh more than the two monitors combined), all should be fine.

Thanks for the info ^_^ I'll hopefully have the mount soon and ill post some pictures of it when I'm done.

Well....way off topic here but... how about a link to that wallpaper?? Wicked cool....

Anyhow, I don't think you need to worry about the glass... looks like it should be fine to me..

Thanks man, I had a feeling like that; you're prob. right. In that case, last night I bought this.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=LCD-194&cat=MON

Hopefully it will work out, im going to either A. tear up an hold mouse pad to put on the clamp to pad it or B. go out to the hardware store and get some heavy duty rubber to pad it between the glass. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Looks like a good design.. I'd personally probably just do what you are going to and pad it with some rubber to avoid scratches and whatnot, also, keep in mind you want to keep it tight but not too tight.. so you don't want it to loosen up on you.. id put a piece of metal or a zip tie through those two rods that screw down to keep them from coming loose (precautionary so you don't have to clamp it down too tight, and thus create unnecessary pressure.

You could though get some metal and screw it into the legs of the frame on the sides.. thus creating a metal bottom piece and clamp it to the metal you attach and the glass on top with rubber padding..or even better.. simply attach it to the metal right below and behind the glass thus not attaching it to the glass.. would require you to drill 2 holes in the frame and nut/bolt some steel or whatever you like to it.. even wood ( just saying steel because you could paint it and keep it looking good.. even though it will be hidden.

Diagram:
__________________<--- glass top.
______||___________ <-------- metal you attach just slightly under the glass
| |
| | <--- Desk legs

|| = the clamp

@ Weenis

Thanks for the insight ^_^ I had something like that planned, i'll work on it as soon as it comes in

Hey everyone, I just got my mount last night at 9:30 PM haha, so I installed everything last night. I'll do some MAJOR cable managing later tonight as well. Let me know what you guys think! I put up an old cut up mouse pad between the C clamp to prevent scratches or the sort. Everything seems to be holding up great ^_^ thanks for the help everyone. This mount was $37.xx at computergeeks.com

DSC01670.jpg

DSC01673.jpg

DSC01671.jpg

$37.00?? That's all? Wow......I'm going to go order one right now! Cool..

Oh, and it looks great.. Nice displays too.

Wow. Very nice. You cleared up a lot of desk space. They look kinda high though. Do you sit high up?

Wow. Very nice. You cleared up a lot of desk space. They look kinda high though. Do you sit high up?

Decently high, it's not as tall as it looks. The pole itself is only 17inches high. I have to look up a bit, but its more comfortable then it looks. Even for gaming...movie watching, and all of my web design work.

Thanks for the link... I've been wanting to get a mount for my displays for a while but I haven't been able to justify the expense.. The one you've got looks like a perfect solution for me.. Thanks again.

Thanks for the link... I've been wanting to get a mount for my displays for a while but I haven't been able to justify the expense.. The one you've got looks like a perfect solution for me.. Thanks again.

Hey anytime man, it's hard to find great products at cheap prices :D when you get the mount post a pic here of your setup. I'm curious how you'll set yours up.

I really like this monitor stand and I am considering purchasing 2 22" monitors to run a dual display as well. My question is does any body know of a different monitor stand that will fit 2 22 inch monitors? The type of desk that I have won't allow me to use a clip on bracket like this person has with his glass table. The back of my desk goes straight down to the floor. I don't have a "lip" under the backside of the table to screw a bracket on like this one. Does anyone know what I am talking about or know where to get a dual monitor stand that will mount to the type of desk that I have? I would appreciate some responses. Thank you. Jaremy

Hm. that would hold up to 2 dell 2407s. @ 14.3lbs apiece

the 2707 is an amazing 27.5lbs..
the 3007 is 25.017lbs odd how they go up.. and gets lighter :-p although the 2707 has an aluminum bezel, it souldnt be that much
2x 2407s would be nice though :)

Can you rotate the monitors? curious to see how much you can move them around,, if you could take some pics that would be great :)

Good question. Can the guy with the glass desk respond to let us know if he can rotate his monitors? What I am looking for is a stand that will hold 2 22" monitors, not Dell 2407 monitors. That would be dual 24" but I am looking to do dual 22". My kind of desk doesn't give me the ability to clamp this kind of mount to my desk though. My desk goes over the top of the desk to the ground and doesn't have a lip to mount the clamp onto.

Jaremy

Good question. Can the guy with the glass desk respond to let us know if he can rotate his monitors? What I am looking for is a stand that will hold 2 22" monitors, not Dell 2407 monitors. That would be dual 24" but I am looking to do dual 22". My kind of desk doesn't give me the ability to clamp this kind of mount to my desk though. My desk goes over the top of the desk to the ground and doesn't have a lip to mount the clamp onto.

Jaremy

Heh, sorry for the late reply. Yes, the monitors can be rotated 360 degrees, and my monitors are 22's. And I'm not really sure what other kind of brackets are out there.

I think the caution here is warranted.

These Tempered "Safety Glass" desks (and stands and whatever) give no warning. They don't crack. They disentegrate into billion little pieces all of a sudden.

I won't go near them.

I've seen the results of this and it ain't pretty.

Glad I found this thread.

I have this desk:
zuo-277055.jpg

Acero_Corner_Desk_in_Silver_05.jpg

I can't tell if the glass on my desk is as thick as the glass on the OP's desk.

I ordered this dual monitor mount:
45-245-026.jpg

45-245-026_4.jpg

I hope I have success with this too.

Back