Running Vista? Get disconnects, file copy problems? Here's why...

bbz_Ghost

2[H]4U
I've been telling people about this "issue" for almost 6 months now. On my own hardware, Vista would regularly cause my router to disconnect from the cable modem and both machines on my LAN (one Vista, one XP) would basically be disconnected in short loops of 5 mins here, 10 mins there, 5 mins here, etc. Pretty irritating stuff.

Also, there are numerous reports of people having those "large file copy operations" of not only large files (like DVD VOBs, etc) but large in the sense of long copies of thousands of files.

Well, I suspected it was related to the networking stack in Vista since it "adds" all sorts of relatively useless bullshit in my opinion. The only way (at the time) I was able to fix this issue was to literally get rid of everything in the Vista TCP/IP stack meaning the excess baggage, disabling the IPv6 support, unistalling all the rest of it, turning off UPNP support on the router and in Vista, etc. After that, I disconnected much less often, if at all.

But I was right.

"It's the stack, Jack" to paraphrase a famous line from "Stripes."

Microsoft in it's infinite wisdom - no, seriously - has a hotfix but it hasn't been leaked just yet from what I've seen. It will, of course, make the light of day at some point, but I happened upon an article that might offer a workaround.

Please note: presently I don't run Vista - I am doing testing and other stuff that requires XP for the time being, but it doesn't stop me from learning about it and keeping up with fixes like this one. Having said that, here's the link to info about the workaround:

http://library-cafe.com/article/vista-fix-large-file-copy-and-network-disconnects-367-1.html

One thing I found funny was that this "fix" information apparently started showing up on a WinXP-centric site... go figure.

I can't do testing with this method, so if anyone else out there is having disconnects at odd times (the router dies, etc), or having large file copy issues, most definitely give this a shot and see what happens. Post your results here for all to see and maybe, just maybe this will help out others.

Have fun, always...

ps
Obviously if I acquire the hotfix I'll make it available.

EDIT:

Just found this tool:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/tools/igd/default.mspx

Only runs under Vista, obviously, but might offer some more information about possible incompatibilities with your hardware.

Back