Help Finding a S-IPS monitor

jimmy43

n00b
Hey guys iv been reading this forum on and off for a year or 2 now. Lots of information to sift through usualy :D so i thought id just ask your help for this.

Iv been looking for a nice S-IPS monitor for a while but it seems so few companies use them nowadays. I do lots of photoshop work and watch movies ocasionaly but my 17" LG isnt cutting it anymore. From what iv read there are no 22" S-IPS panels out at all. Are there any 24" S-IPS or 27" S-IPS or anything in that range ( 22-27) that is a S-IPS that doesnt cost an arm and a leg? Also is there anything coming out that could be?

Your options:

Apple ACD 23"
23"
IPS based.

NEC LCD2690WUXi
26"
IPS based.

Dell 3007WFP(-HC)
30"
IPS based.

Apple ACD 30"
30"
IPS based.

HP LP3065
30"
IPS based.

The above list is missing the NEC 20WMGX2 (AS-IPS) and the chance of getting a Dell 2007WFP with an S-IPS..

How about the Dell 2407? Is an S-PVA panel a good trade off for price and color? All except the NEC from the options listed have tiny dot pitch which is bad for me because i cant see that well from a distance. Thanks for the replies so far.

The reason i'm asking about the S-PVA panels is I read the 244T had amazing colors but had terrible input lag. It is really a shame because I couldn't care less about refresh times (mine is 16ms and i dont notice it) and driving those times up seems to be the cause of the input lag (overdrive?).

All except the NEC from the options listed have tiny dot pitch which is bad for me because i cant see that well from a distance. Thanks for the replies so far.

The NEC's pixel pitch is only 0.008mm bigger than that of the 30" displays; other than that it actually has a really small pixel pitch of 0.258mm.

Thanks for posting the list of IPS-matrixed monitors - I''ve been searching for an IPS monitor as well, and it's very difficault to tell what matrix is actually being used in the various monitors available.

The NEC looks great to me... The Apple does seem to be a reasonably priced alternative, but the specs indicate that it's only compatible with a Mac (not a PC). Can this be true??!

- Aaron

The Apple does seem to be a reasonably priced alternative, but the specs indicate that it's only compatible with a Mac (not a PC). Can this be true??!

- Aaron
This is not true at all, as the ACD will work with Windows and Mac.

I dont reviews for that monitor matter because it seems like it the same thing as the LCD2690WUXi but 2 inches smaller.

They're different.

dot pitch 0.270
panel type: LG.Philips AS-IPS (LM240WU1)
Adobe colour Gamut: 76% (standard)

dot pitch: 0.287
panel type: H-IPS A-TW Pol
Adobe colour gamut coverage: 92%
Luminance stabilizer

Got to http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/ and type "S-IPS" in the panel search box and select "panel" in the adjacent drop down to get a list of all S-IPS monitors.

Or you could try these lists:
http://aryarya.net/wassyoi/lcdmemo.html
http://axofiber.no-ip.org/inside/monitor.lcd.panels.htm

Other S-IPS monitors
HP LP2065
Philips 200P7EB
LG L2000C
NEC LCD2090UXi
Dell 2007 Dell 2007W

The only one you're guaranteed to get an S-IPS is the NEC because it's stated in the name - the little "i". It appears Philips, HP and Dell are swapping in other panels at random. If you're outside the US I think your chances of getting an S-IPS are greater. Dell have a 15 day 100% satisfaction guarantee so you can use it to continuosly RMA until you get a S-IPS. S-IPS panel's blacks have purple tinge when viewed from an angle.

The Apple CD is guaranteed to be IPS as well.

Also, don't forget the Acer Ferrari, which has been discontinued but can still be found at some retailers for very attractive prices. :cool:

They're different.

dot pitch 0.270
panel type: LG.Philips AS-IPS (LM240WU1)
Adobe colour Gamut: 76% (standard)

dot pitch: 0.287
panel type: H-IPS A-TW Pol
Adobe colour gamut coverage: 92%
Luminance stabilizer
Not sure where you got your info on the 2490, but this is from the NEC webpage

The MultiSync LCD2490WUXi is a new addition to the 90 series professional line of displays.Backed by a full 4-year warranty, this new 2.3 megapixel, 24.0” wide screen (16:10 aspect ratio), features an H-IPS (Horizontal in Plane Switching) module for superior color representation encompassing 69% of the Adobe RGB color triangle while minimizing off-angle color shift. This new display includes a detachable stand that is height adjustable with pivot, swivel and tilt.
Other than the color gamut, it appears to be the same screen as the 2690. But as has already been said, it's only available in the US. And the cheapest is about $1300. The 2690 is going back up in price and the cheapest in the US is about $1460 (was as low as $1400).

http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/...?product=a46240bd-a846-4de7-b644-bd7f0b7e6ece

Now that it's been confirmed that the Apple ACD is compatible with a PC, what is the consensus on it's performance versus the NEC 90 series?

the dell 2007 wfp have no contrast ajust in DVI inputt big reason for me to not buy it and for the resolution they say in the on line description ....... beetween.... 1650x1050 there are a big gap..... the other near resolution accepted is 1280x1024 unusual

bizarre monitor

Not sure where you got your info on the 2490, but this is from the NEC webpage

Other than the color gamut, it appears to be the same screen as the 2690. But as has already been said, it's only available in the US. And the cheapest is about $1300. The 2690 is going back up in price and the cheapest in the US is about $1460 (was as low as $1400).

http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/...?product=a46240bd-a846-4de7-b644-bd7f0b7e6ece

I stand corrected. The 2490 has a 24"WS LG.Philips H-IPS A-TW Pol (LM240WU2). I'm getting my info from TFTCentral which two days ago reported it as the AS-IPS in my previous post which was a copy-paste. Looks like they just updated.

Dot pitch, colour gamut and luminance stabilizer are the differences. They must have different backlights.

The LCD2490WUXi is available in Australia where I'm at. Cheapest in Aus is about AU$1800.

Edit:
So when do we get a review of your LCD2490WUXi Juardis, or at least a stack of pictures? There seems to be very little info on this little brother of the 2690 and to tell you the truth I'm not interested in the gamut or luminance stabilizer or the bigger dot pitch. Open a new thread or post in an existing 2490WUXi thread and give us your impressions.

I stand corrected. The 2490 has a 24"WS LG.Philips H-IPS A-TW Pol (LM240WU2). I'm getting my info from TFTCentral which two days ago reported it as the AS-IPS in my previous post which was a copy-paste. Looks like they just updated.

Dot pitch, colour gamut and luminance stabilizer are the differences. They must have different backlights.

The LCD2490WUXi is available in Australia where I'm at. Cheapest in Aus is about AU$1800.

Edit:
So when do we get a review of your LCD2490WUXi Juardis, or at least a stack of pictures? There seems to be very little info on this little brother of the 2690 and to tell you the truth I'm not interested in the gamut or luminance stabilizer or the bigger dot pitch. Open a new thread or post in an existing 2490WUXi thread and give us your impressions.
According to the NEC website, the 2490 also has a luminance stabilizer, but not sure what that feature does for me.

I just ordered the 2490 last night. Will take 7-10 days to get here from when they ship it. When everything in my sig shows up, I'll put it all together and pray that everything works :D. Then I'll provide some initial impressions and possibly a more detailed review if I can figure out how to do a detailed review (e.g., how to test lag). I have a colorimeter and I'm keenly interested in how well this monitor calibrates (hence the reason I spent extra for an IPS panel).

According to the NEC website, the 2490 also has a luminance stabilizer, but not sure what that feature does for me. .

I stand corrected again - not having much luck tonight :(. I recall travbomb posting that the 2490 did not have a luminance stabilizer but here he says it does.
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030248467&postcount=170
Maybe her was talking about the other 2490. I'm not complaining if it does. All the more reason to reject the 2690.

Travbomb mentions what the luminance stabilizer does here:
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1029968098&postcount=54

Back