850W Etasis ET850 - Weak Sata plugs??

Supershanks

Limp Gawd
Got an 850W Etasis ET850 in January great psu no problems except with the sata leads. Shortly after getting psu I notticed a hd wasn't working. On checking i removed the sata power lead to see that 1 side of the sata plug was still in the drive leaving the plug open. Wasn't to sure how it happenened, put it down to me maybe being a clumsy bugger:rolleyes: yesterday whilst housekeeping my case another broke.

comparing the plugs with other psu's these sata plugs do seem to have thinner long sides. in both cases the break has been in the same place on the junction of the corners & the long side.

don't know if any1 has had similar issues but in 15+yrs of pc building & a good number of psu's i've never known anything like this. i'd like to know if i've got a hamfisted virus or the is a known fault with this psu.

And this is why I don't like SATA connectors.

I accidently break them all of the time.... many different PSU's. :(

I accidently break them all of the time.... many different PSU's.
Thank's 4 that gives me some comfort. Please do it on some of the psu's u review , manufacturer's might wake up to the issue;) :D

cheers:D

It's not the manufacturers... it's the spec. The contact edge is too thin. The interface are is too small. It just sucks all over.

It's sata spec that it's that thin, it has nothing to do with how they're made.

It's not the manufacturers... it's the spec. The contact edge is too thin. The interface are is too small. It just sucks all over.

My guess is this is because sata and its big brother SAS are designed with hotswapping drives in mind. Sata drives aren't really designed for mounting in cases, so the power and data connectors are rather fragile (as many people find out to their dismay). If you push and pull them straight in and out, though, there's no problem. Mounting my drives in hotswap caddies, I've never had a problem with connectors breaking. A guy at work managed to break four (!) cables or drives in one day (!) by moving disks from one set of Dells to another. Not in hotswap caddies, of course. If they had mandated hotswapping, and made the caddy part of the drive we all would have been better off.

But I think that if we hot swapped more then u just end up with more breakages.
But yep see the point been comparing the plugs now between psus & also on adapter leads, dimensions are the identical . It's the thin side that's gone both times.

isn't this covered under the warranty?
Not sure if there are different qualities/grades of plastic that effect the srength ??
That i guess is about the only variable.

Not sure if there are different qualities/grades of plastic that effect the srength ??

They could be made with stronger, tougher plastics. The only difference is price. WD connectors are a slight improvement, but they don't allow a power connector to be used at the same time - you're forced to use the old Molex connector for power.

Dumb design, poor implementation. We pay.

WD connectors are a slight improvement, but they don't allow a power connector to be used at the same time
It's the sata power plugs that's the issue, not the data cables

Back