Samsung R55 Hybrid HDD Laptop

HardOCP News

[H] News
PC Joint beat everyone to the punch today with pictures and specs of the recently launched Samsung R55 hybrid HDD laptop.

According to Samsung, when used for small chunks (up to 10Mb) of data in R55, Hybrid Hard Drive had 26% improvement on data reading and 71% improvement of data writing speed, 32% lower power consumption and increased HDD longevity by 10%.

Thats awesome. The day these hybrids comes to desktop is the day I will be a happy man :)

Hmm wonder how expensive it is by itself... been looking at laptops lately and most with similar specs are around $1300-$1500.. so hope its not $400ish for an 80gb hd as that is pretty sweet.

i'm stilling waiting for the fully flash hard drives! like, what's taking sooo long!

Yay, wohoo! Another announcement. I know my memory approximates the holiness of swiss cheese, but I bet my great aunt's liver that I saw HHD announcements more than a year ago and availability has been very close to zero since then.

It would also be nice to hear whether this is a software or a hardware solution. Will the flash be used regardless of OS or do I need to run WinVista? Some real-world benchmarks -or any third party benchmarks for that matter- would really help to quantify this technologies' advantage.

Yay, wohoo! Another announcement. I know my memory approximates the holiness of swiss cheese, but I bet my great aunt's liver that I saw HHD announcements more than a year ago and availability has been very close to zero since then.

It would also be nice to hear whether this is a software or a hardware solution. Will the flash be used regardless of OS or do I need to run WinVista? Some real-world benchmarks -or any third party benchmarks for that matter- would really help to quantify this technologies' advantage.

Sounds more to me like a glorified buffer, so I'm pretty sure this is hardware related. Also if it was software, I don't think they could make the claims on speed, access, and life extension without putting a clause in there.

AFAIK its hardware, as it sounds like there is a piece of flash memory inside of the HD case. So it writes to and from the flash memory for smaller things.

Back