Best Buy To Stock HD Radio Receivers

HardOCP News

[H] News
Media Week says that Best Buy will soon be stocking HD radio receivers in all of its 832 stores across the country.

“This is another major step forward for HD Radio technology,” said Robert Struble, president and CEO of iBiquity Digital Corp., the developer of the HD Radio system. “Following rapid adoption by the broadcast community and an increasing range of products for the mass market, Best Buy's efforts will dramatically accelerate consumer adoption of this great technology.”

I have an hd radio ready receiver and I can't tell the difference between HD and non HD

This is a lame attempt in getting people to go for HD rather than satellite radio. HD brings nothing new but "High-def" radio with commercials. Looks like the PS3's won't be lonely anymore.

About damn time. Shopping around for a car in-dash CD AM/FM/ HD receiver I find there are only 3 units on the market with built in HD receiver. All the rest rely on an outboard box.

I didn't even have my antenna hooked up in my daily driver for 3 years. Do they really think that trying to push HD radio down peoples throats is going to bring back listeners to radio? When the radio stations stop playing the same stuff over and over on every station then maybe people will start tuning in again. More people are interested in how they can hook their ipod or satellite reciever up then are interested in HD, because they get to listen to the music that they like, rather then CD quality standardized radio crap. I gladly pay the monthly fee for XM just so I don't have to listen to the radio, have been doing it for over 4 years now.

This is the first press release I think I've seen since the announcement of HD radio over a year ago. Notice their statement is regarding the positioning of receivers when it should be an announcement regarding content or some other innovation. It's not like there is a shortage in HD radios, or that consumers are scrambling trying to get units.

As ND40oz said, HD radio has nothing new to offer. I mean, I can't even listen to Imus now in HD (maybe that would help understand what he's saying) now that he's fired (I dont really want to). Seriously, they have no programming to offer. There was a release this weekend I believe that HD radio will have commercial free programming on some of their stations. In actuality, they will work in "subtle" ads via the disc jockeys. It's all smoke and mirrors and trying to bs the "average" consumer.

I've had Sirius for almost a year and a half and will never go back to FM. I believe AM radio may will be the prominent revenue stream in the not-too-distant future for these radio stations, as local AM is the only thing I (seldom) switch off my Sirius for.

yesssssssssss. Now we can hear the same 7 songs and 500 commercials played in HD on our commute to work/college.

<--sticks with XM

Moved to sirius a while ago. Only time I listen to normal radio is when I'm in the car with friends. Haven't seen any local radio stations advertise HD radio on billboards or on tv though. Don't know if any of them ever offer it.

To those who have listened to HD radio, can you notice a difference? I'm not talking about on nice home systems either. I'm taking about a car system.

yesssssssssss. Now we can hear the same 7 songs and 500 commercials played in HD on our commute to work/college.

<--sticks with XM

Don't forget a marquee on your radio that tells you what song/station is on!!! Super freakin cool!!!

From what I understand HD radio doesn't increase the quality of the signal. It allows radio stations to have multiple channels. So now there will be even more stations to tune into that plays the same old crap.

I don't like Imus, but the firing of him just shows the future of FM radio and free speech.

I don't even listen to the radio. I hate commercials. If it wasn't for my DVR and the ability to skip commercials, I wouldn't watch tv either.

I fail to see any benefit for me in this. There is a dearth of music worth listening to. Okay, some stuff on the "classic station", but it's the same old corporate crap, on the same old corporate play lists.

I use my MP3 capable CD unit about 99% of the time. NO commercials, no annoying "morning crew" that sounds the same everywhere, no lousy selection of music.

HD = no big deal.

Better quality commercials, lol.

Sticks to his XM.

<--sticks with XM

Heh. and how many times have I heard "you're beautiful" in one *hour* on XM? or "This ain't a scene?"

scroll through any "grouping" of channels (like 20-29) and you'll find, a good portion of the time, the SAME song being played on at least 2 stations. We found "This ain't a scene" or whatever that fag-out-boy song is, on 4 STATIONS at once.

Heh. and how many times have I heard "you're beautiful" in one *hour* on XM? or "This ain't a scene?"

scroll through any "grouping" of channels (like 20-29) and you'll find, a good portion of the time, the SAME song being played on at least 2 stations. We found "This ain't a scene" or whatever that fag-out-boy song is, on 4 STATIONS at once.

Thats funny, because each station has a different genre. Perhaps it's just a coincidence that the song could fit into 4 different categories and it just so happen to be playing at the same time.

Using one instance where you heard the same song on 4 different stations doesn't count. Your judgment is unfair because out of the many stations, you are going to get some that are the same and fits into the same categories, however, if you stayed on the SAME station, then it's not going to happen as it would on free radio.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard the same song over and over on the radio using the same station, sometimes as little as 45 mins apart.

I have an HD reciever only b/c one of the stations I listen to offers two additional commercial free stations (and I needed a new head unit anyways), so I get commercial free music without having to pay for XM.

I have an HD reciever only b/c one of the stations I listen to offers two additional commercial free stations (and I needed a new head unit anyways), so I get commercial free music without having to pay for XM.

You get two stations with a limited range and reception. The problem is that not everyone gets commercial free stations in their town.

But if you get it free, then why not? ;)

Thats funny, because each station has a different genre. Perhaps it's just a coincidence that the song could fit into 4 different categories and it just so happen to be playing at the same time.

Using one instance where you heard the same song on 4 different stations doesn't count. Your judgment is unfair because out of the many stations, you are going to get some that are the same and fits into the same categories, however, if you stayed on the SAME station, then it's not going to happen as it would on free radio.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard the same song over and over on the radio using the same station, sometimes as little as 45 mins apart.

Uhm.. It's happened more than once. I've also seen the same song on 2 or 3 innumerable times.

I was kinda considering HD Radio for the jazz station I listen to going to/from work, and the occasional flipping to a Top 40 shit-song filled station, since about 95% of my presets are all HD-broadcasting as well.

But yeah, on Top 40 stations, they're just filled with shit ads, shit songs, and annoying hosts that sloppily and quite retardedly hit on every single female caller. I can't take it!

...how much is XM/Sirius? It's either going to be that or I get off my lazy ass and do a Car PC.

I was kinda considering HD Radio for the jazz station I listen to going to/from work, and the occasional flipping to a Top 40 shit-song filled station, since about 95% of my presets are all HD-broadcasting as well.

But yeah, on Top 40 stations, they're just filled with shit ads, shit songs, and annoying hosts that sloppily and quite retardedly hit on every single female caller. I can't take it!

...how much is XM/Sirius? It's either going to be that or I get off my lazy ass and do a Car PC.

http://www.xmradio.com/shop/index.xmc

Buy a reciever and get 3 months free subscription, it's $12.95 a month after that and for each additional reciever you add $6.99 a month.

I had an XM radio when it first came out...and was excited about the non-commercials...Then I got rid of it after hearing;

"This is XM Radio...You are listening to station blahblah...The time is blahblah...If you go to www.xmradio.com you can find the current listings of the ....and if you tune in next friday then blahblah will be on.....and then if you tune into it saturday blahblah will be on again...So when you come back Thursday you will hear blahblah for the first time"

I was like WTF, this is like a commerical for its own radio station and it did it at least after ever 3 songs...So I got rid of XM radio and haven't tried another satellite radio since...

I had an XM radio when it first came out...and was excited about the non-commercials...Then I got rid of it after hearing;

"This is XM Radio...You are listening to station blahblah...The time is blahblah...If you go to www.xmradio.com you can find the current listings of the ....and if you tune in next friday then blahblah will be on.....and then if you tune into it saturday blahblah will be on again...So when you come back Thursday you will hear blahblah for the first time"

I was like WTF, this is like a commerical for its own radio station and it did it at least after ever 3 songs...So I got rid of XM radio and haven't tried another satellite radio since...

I does not do it as frequent as you are saying (after every 3 songs). It does however on some channels advertise a lot for their other stations but it's mainly formal... not like "buy this now, etc etc" type ads. Their ads are mainly to keep you up to date, and believe it or not a lot of people enjoy that (I don't). And when it does come up, it's literally for seconds, not like terrestrial radio commercials.

Like I said, I got it when it first came out. So hopefully it has changed. It did do it as often as regular radio commercials and it lasted at least a minute to 2 minutes...Why pay for it, when it would be about the same for regular radio to me.

All I was paying for was more clear radio stations in my opinion. But sounds like it has changed a little bit, which is good.

Like I said, I got it when it first came out. So hopefully it has changed. It did do it as often as regular radio commercials and it lasted at least a minute to 2 minutes...Why pay for it, when it would be about the same for regular radio to me.

All I was paying for was more clear radio stations in my opinion. But sounds like it has changed a little bit, which is good.

Which channel did you listen to?

My only gripe about XM is that you can't listen to hit songs without Rap. So I usually resort to techno or more classics.

Thats funny, becuase if you look at the current playlist you don't see such trend:

http://www.xmradio.com/music/index.xmc
Uhm, you linked to the main page that shows different DECADES.

Hits 20 on 20* 20 Top 20 Hits Fall Out Boy - Thnks Fr Th Mmrs
Hits The Heart* 23 Love Songs/Lite Pop Freddie Jackson - You Are My Lady
Hits The Blend* 25 Adult Contemporary Phil Collins - I Wish It Would Rain Down
Hits Flight 26* 26 Modern Adult Hits Green Day - Wake Me Up When September Ends View
Hits Cinemagic* 27 Movie Soundtracks Raiders of the Lost Ark - Cinemagic Moment View
Hits On Broadway* 28 Show Tunes Two Gentlemen of Verona - Dont' Have the Baby View
Hits U-Pop* 29 International Hits Laura Pausini - Yo Canto View
Hits XM Hitlist* 30 Contemporary Hits Fall Out Boy - Thnks Fr Th Mmrs

Woot! Fag-out-boy x2

http://www.xmradio.com/search/artis...artistSearchButton.x=0&artistSearchButton.y=0

8 different stations play them.

Er.. I didn't see channel 30 in the list of featured stations. So, I was right the first time. Falloutboy is on 8 of the 69 "music" stations that they have.

Who cares? You still have more variety, just because a station may play a song occasionally on XM, doesn't mean they're playing on the hour every hour. The only channels on XM that are like pop radio stations are XM 20, 20 on 20 (user voted on top 20 songs the repeat with a new vote every 20 songs), XM 21, KISS because it is an FM station and XM 30, because they concentrate on current and recent "hits." Of the other five stations you have listed, XM 82 is a dance station which may play an occasional remix, XM 54 Lucy and XM 47 Ethel are Alternative stations and XM 22 and XM 26 are mix stations and Fall Out Boy falls into each of those categories. The point is, we don't get the same 5 bands forced down our throats if we tune to Squizz or BPM and leave it there all day long.

Here's your problem, you have XM. They play a much wider variety on Sirius, which btw is in negotiations to merge (being bought by) Sirius. Got Sirius at home and in my truck and haven't listened to terrestrial radio for more than a year and don't miss it.

Er.. I didn't see channel 30 in the list of featured stations. So, I was right the first time. Falloutboy is on 8 of the 69 "music" stations that they have.

You didn't read one of my posts and I'm not going to bother covering it anymore. You simply searched for the stations playing a song from the same artist... hardly what I would call multiple instances of the same song :rolleyes:

Anyways, I'm done here.

PS. The link I provided you was a generic link, not specifically to the decades... I think it just defualt to there.

You didn't read one of my posts and I'm not going to bother covering it anymore. You simply searched for the stations playing a song from the same artist... hardly what I would call multiple instances of the same song :rolleyes:

Anyways, I'm done here.

PS. The link I provided you was a generic link, not specifically to the decades... I think it just defualt to there.

I mean to say you simply searched for the stations who feature the same artist (not necessarily playing that artist or his/her song at this moment).

Here's your problem, you have XM. They play a much wider variety on Sirius, which btw is in negotiations to merge (being bought by) Sirius. Got Sirius at home and in my truck and haven't listened to terrestrial radio for more than a year and don't miss it.
My thoughts EXACTLY. Music channels on Sirius are vastly superior to XM. Soon, XM subscribers will be able to enjoy Sirius goodness as well.

To the guy that is concerned about hearing "Fag Out Boy" on more than one "Top Hits" channel, uh, your first problem is listening to the "Top HIts" channels in the first place. Sirius Hits 1 is the "Top 40" station, or one of them, on Sirius. My daughter is 7 and that is her favorite channel. End of discussion. If you are tuning into that channel, your right to complain is revoked.

Hits Cinemagic* 27 Movie Soundtracks Raiders of the Lost Ark - Cinemagic Moment View

8 different stations play them.

I am quite sure that Cinemagic has never played Fall Out Boy. I know, I listen to them all the time since all they play is movie soundtracks

I am quite sure that Cinemagic has never played Fall Out Boy. I know, I listen to them all the time since all they play is movie soundtracks

Be that as it may, they are listed as a playlist artist on 8 stations. Your point enhances mine. The fewer stations fallout boy is on, the better.. But, that means more concentration of them within a select few, making the point I was trying to make even more plausible.
Besides, Based on the link I gave, I never claimed they were on cinemagic. I claimed that they were AMONGST the stations between 20 and 30. I did not say they were on ALL the stations between 20 and 30, or ONLY the stations between 20 and 30.

Fall out boy on a movie soundtrack
If cinemagic ever decides to play a soundtrack newer than Titanic or bridget jones' diary, (I'd love to hear rent...) there could actually come a day when they play falloutboy on there, TOO.

Search Artist for "Fall Out Boy"
20 on 20 - XM 20 - Commercial Free
KISS - XM 21
XM Hitlist - XM 30 - Commercial Free
Mix - XM 22
Flight 26 - XM 26 - Commercial Free
Ethel - XM 47 - Commercial Free
Lucy - XM 54 - Commercial Free
The System - XM 82 - Commercial Free

This from the guy who had a referral link in his sig. I actually DON'T have XM. One of the many things I do is drive a lot of cars, in fact, I happen to moonlight working as a "dealer trade" agent for a dealership in town. That dealership tends to stock XM radios in their vehicles. Having XM for "Free" has shown me how glad I do not own the service.

Back