8800GTS Plastic Shroud Removed, Major Temperature Drops

96redformula

2[H]4U
I have been having riduculous temperatures with the 158.18 drivers, since it has no fan control in vista.

So...I had a max temp of 85C and idle of ~72C. Since then I removed the four screws holding the plastic fan shroud. I zip tied a coolermaster 80mm fan (a slow quite fan :( on one side and used a long screw on the other side wedged between the heatsink fins to hold it on. My temperatures have gone down to 63C Idle and 74C Max load now. So about a 10C drop and it is still silent.

Now all my games run good with the fixes in the new drivers, and I don't need to worry about nvidia and there fan control. I have also ordered a 92mm (30DB, 48CFM) panaflow M1A -Z from jab-tech.com for $2.99 :). This should help drop temperatures an additional 3 degrees with a higher cfm than the current fan.

I left the regular fan on it, although It doesnt work like a conventional fan, I think it is useless without the shroud. Here are the pictures, and yes I had to bend my TV Tuner to make it fit since I got the 8800gtx blocking the other pci-x slot.

img0431nw7.jpg

img0432hv1.jpg

I think the concern about these temps is just worrying about nothing; unless you just don't want the heat in your case which I guess I can understand. Otherwise this is the normal temps, the card is covered under warranty, so what's the big deal?

I know, I'm likely to buy an aftermarket assembly once a really good one arrives, I'm as much a fanatic as anyone of you (I applied Arctic silver to my last vid card); but regarding the 8800's they just run hot...deal with it.

My only question is: How are you dealing with all that heat going directly into your case? Either way, very good job solving a problem that plagues most 8800 users!:)

oozish makes the "Deal With it" Statement like he has a clue? What is that?
I like the way you are dealing with it! Anytime you can cut heatdown significantly you are dealing with it. You are making your card last longer. you are increasing your chance for better OC's if you decide to OC it. I say to you good thinking. I like what you have done. I have a GTS coming and like you I plan to deal with it too. Any time you can increase cooling on any part inside your case you are ahead of the game.

Nice Job............

WZ

I don't really see the point of this unless you're going for higher overclocks. It runs at 85 degrees under load. So what? Unless you're stressing it at 100% 24/7 I doubt that makes any difference on how long it will last. I can't really see the point of trying to run it cooler just for the sake of running it cooler.

Edit. And I think I know what your problem is. The hot air just isn't being trasnfered anywhere from under your video card, so the air just keeps getting warmer, thus heating the video card more and more, you need to improve airflow under the video card. This is what i've done, and not just because I wanted lower temps, but because without the fans, the videocard's own fan went close to 100% and still the temps were like 90 degrees... Now temps are at ~82 degrees max and the fan rarely goes above 60% (1400rpm)

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

"Deal with it" is a colloquialism that roughly translates to "accept it" rather than "take care of it." :D

But I like this solution. If it didn't take up so much space, I think I'd give it a shot myself. But it's a no-go with an X-fi in the middle along with a 2nd video card.

It's certainly not necessary to get temperatures that low for stable performance with an 8800gtx. . . but it sure can't hurt! Or, in other words, why not? ;)

I've done pretty much the same as you SuperK. Adding the 60mm exhaust fan helped out a bunch. I also added a fan duct from the stock 80mm in the front of my Cent.5 with another 80mm inline directly under the gfxcard fan. At night it idles at 49, and after about 4 hours of Titan Quest, it gets up to about 67.

DSC01128.jpg

DSC01130.jpg

oozish makes the "Deal With it" Statement like he has a clue? What is that?
I like the way you are dealing with it! Anytime you can cut heatdown significantly you are dealing with it. You are making your card last longer. you are increasing your chance for better OC's if you decide to OC it. I say to you good thinking. I like what you have done. I have a GTS coming and like you I plan to deal with it too. Any time you can increase cooling on any part inside your case you are ahead of the game.

Nice Job............

WZ
Settle down cowboy, lol...you don't think I have a clue? I like low temps too, but only if it's going to make a difference for my overclock. I flashed my card to the clocks in my sig and I get normal temps; I just don't want to FRANKENSTEIN my card for something that won't make any difference. But if you want to that's cool. I have to admit, though, that's a clean and nice job from A30plusgamer!

I remember someone did this awhile ago... And EVERYONE ripped on him because they said it wasn't true.

It sure as hell worked for me, and I'm glad we have more followers in our GOCA (ghetto over clock adventures).

Settle down cowboy, lol...you don't think I have a clue? I like low temps too, but only if it's going to make a difference for my overclock. I flashed my card to the clocks in my sig and I get normal temps; I just don't want to FRANKENSTEIN my card for something that won't make any difference. But if you want to that's cool. I have to admit, though, that's a clean and nice job from A30plusgamer!

QFT. These chips are rated for upwards of 120c... Just like their older brethren. CPU's last YEARS over spec temperatures... I've yet to see a GPU die of ANYTHING other than RAM rot. You won't gain ANYTHING from reducing them 10c. Nvidia's conservative fan speed control would ramp up a LOT faster if 10c would be the difference between life and death.

If it helps reduce overall case temps, then it'd be an added bonus. Added stability and overclocking can be what people are looking for.

PS: Those with fans blocking all their PCI slots, why not get an Antec Super Cyclone? Blows almost all of the excess heat out of the case.

Your thread inspired me. I de-shrouded mine tonight. :)

Max temp at 650/1950 with full screen rthdribl and ati tool scan for artifacts running was 62C with a 80mm panaflo. Considering I was just over 80C before, I am quite happy with the result!

What cases do you guys have? Cause my 8800 gts @ 612/945 (something around there) in my P180B idles at 49 and under load stays around 55-60 (with the fan on 100%)

Here is how Velocity Micro addressed the issue. See the square aluminum box at the rear bottom (2nd pic), it has a screened intake from the rear with a 120 fan in it blowing on the heat dispersement pan both cards (the eVGA ACS3 cards have the extra heat pan on the rear of the card). The first pic is with the device off so you can see underneath. The next pic has the device installed.

IMG_0068.jpg

MikesComputer033.jpg

LOL @ those ghetto mods :D Really funny stuff, how far people are willing to go for few degrees.

Also brings back memories when the first X1900 cards came around, the Nvidia crowd was like "My frikking GOD these run so HOT". Solution back then was 3rd party cooling, havent seen much of those with G80 cards, any out there?

I find it funny that SuperKeijo made a blanket statement saying the cards run at 85c under load .. "so what". Yet he did something to address the 'hotness' of the cards. :eek:

Whoever comes up with these heatsink designs and the application of thermal paste to the contact points is retarded.

There are so many diffrent ways to get these cards cooler. However, on this same note I must admit that it's a lot better than the older designs which dumped the heat back into your case.

I find it funny that SuperKeijo made a blanket statement saying the cards run at 85c under load .. "so what". Yet he did something to address the 'hotness' of the cards. :eek:

Well actually I did something to the SOUND of the card. The fan running at or close to 100% is just too loud for me. The temps only dropped about 5c, but the insane noise made by the fan was gone.

Well actually I did something to the SOUND of the card. The fan running at or close to 100% is just too loud for me. The temps only dropped about 5c, but the insane noise made by the fan was gone.

Thankfully I've never had to hear that sound. :) But if it fixed your problem and lowered temps, why not ... right?

Back