Google Surpasses Microsoft As Most Powerful Brand?

HardOCP News

[H] News
A new report from the research and consulting firm Millward Brown claims that Google has surpassed Microsoft as the most powerful brand in the world.

Google took the top spot with a brand value of $66.4 billion, followed by General Electric ($61.9 billion), Microsoft ($54.9 billion), Coca-Cola ($44.1 billion), China Mobile ($41.2 billion), Marlboro/Altria ($39.2 billion), Wal-Mart ($36.9 billion), Citigroup ($33.7 billion), IBM ($33.6 billion), and Toyota ($33.4 billion).

I wonder how China Mobile sneaked in there?

Yeah it's no wonder why google is so well known. I suspect it will go for a few years and top off, unless if google makes thier own operating system.

I wonder how China Mobile sneaked in there?

Yeah it's no wonder why google is so well known. I suspect it will go for a few years and top off, unless if google makes thier own operating system.

A Google OS would be cool. On the other hand, got to admit I now regularly use Google for searching. Before that I used Yahoo.

GE almost seems to be ranked a little high. I would think Coca-Cola would be better than them. Heck in the south everyone calls the carbonated beverages 'coke' there.

Google is similar to Microsoft, IBM, and GE in that they all invest billions into research and development. Google has been investing billions without a sweat, and publicly making it available their spending and purchasing power, that's definitely a powerful brand when you can do that. Its also only a matter of time before they announce their own OS. They currently wrote their own OS for their servers, or its based off Linux. They also wrote their own file-system, as well as everything else I presume. They are researching switches, routers, and other aspects of advanced technology. It will be interesting to see in 20 years who has the really advanced tech that seemingly isn't possible now.

A Google OS would rock! I could imagine one built from a base of unix/linux with wide support from software and hardware makrers.

A Google OS would rock! I could imagine one built from a base of unix/linux with wide support from software and hardware makrers.

If anyone has the foundation to put out a good alternative OS to Windows, it'd be Google. I'd be the first to jump on that. Having as big a name as Google, I'm sure they'll have no problems getting industrial support either.

I really think MS needs to wake up when they keep insisting IBM is their biggest threat...

You can juggle numbers all day long and make any one the top dog. This article reads like someones horoscope.

Millward Brown Optimor determines the portion of intangible earnings attributable to the company's most loyal users. It then projects this value forward based on "research-based loyalty data from the Brandz database," market valuations, the brand's risk profile, and its potential for growth.

Sounds rock-solid to me.

If anyone has the foundation to put out a good alternative OS to Windows, it'd be Google. I'd be the first to jump on that. Having as big a name as Google, I'm sure they'll have no problems getting industrial support either.

If they could somehow create an OS that combined the flexibility and robustness of Linux with the gaming power of DirectX, I'd be all over it. At this point, there is so much software for Linux, I don't particularly need Windows *except* for gaming. Google could be the ones to do it, I agree.

If they could somehow create an OS that combined the flexibility and robustness of Linux with the gaming power of DirectX, I'd be all over it. At this point, there is so much software for Linux, I don't particularly need Windows *except* for gaming. Google could be the ones to do it, I agree.

A Google OS could be done so well I could imagine strong intergation of the internet into it for just about everything. Strong focus on Open Source projects that benefit everyone on the Google OS... Top of the line security, some new revolutionary world wide cluster through the internet used to compile, gather, analyze data for the good of all Google OS users and doing it secure and anonymously. It could be some powerful Google OS network of some sort.... the possibilities are endless.

Back