Sadly, I am the newest Thermaltake victim

FatboyHK

Limp Gawd
People here may heard about my external Rad box project. I came up with this plan because, the more I read in this forum, the more I realize the danger I have in with my TT equipment I knew I need to change to another more reliable solution very soon..

I started ordering stuff, and drawing my design on scrap papers....

but too bad, disaster strike before I can prevent it.

One of the tube on top of my TT high exchanger (a cpu block with rad on top) ruptured and leaked on to the mobo, two 8800GTXs, and Audigy2 ZS....

I noticed it quite soon and try to rescue them immediately.

after a night of work, the CPU, RAM, and Sound Card is comfirmed OK, as I can run them on other system

HDD and CDROM is unknown, but I bet they are fine....

I can't POST, so I assume the mobo is dead.

the first 8800gtx is all soaked.... so I assume it is dead too,

The second 8800gtx is soaked a bit, I hope it is OK, but as I can't POST I am not sure.

But there are still hope, as my Audigy is still alive after being soaked badly.... so let's pray for me...

I open them and cleaned it, but I can't test them as I don't have any PCI-e board nearby

that sucks man, clean the boards with rubbing alcohol and let them dry completely...

they might come back....

I soaked a 7800GT (its in my box right now) used some contact cleaner on the power connector and it is still working. My mobo was not as lucky.

this give me some hope....

btw, the mobo and gfx card are all "physically" running, the mobo LED is on, and it reponse to the power button, the fan on the gfx cards are running too.... I checked there is no burn mark or smell anywhere

this give me some hope....

btw, the mobo and gfx card are all "physically" running, the mobo LED is on, and it reponse to the power button, the fan on the gfx cards are running too.... I checked there is no burn mark or smell anywhere

that doesnt necessairily mean anything. how long did you let them dry? i would have left them in a warm place for a few days to get all the water out from under the chips. better to wait a few days then risk loosing a $400 card if you arent completely sure its dried. i usualy dump alot of alcohol on everything to displace most of the water, the alcohol dries much faster and as long as theres no power you cant fry anything, other then what you did to it in the first place :p hope you can save some more then that.

Like ghost6303 said, let them dry for a few days in a warm environment. Moisture takes time to evaporate from underneath surface mount components.

I dried them for a night and tried again this morning.... and.....

THEY WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVERYTHING WOOOOOOOORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

minus my Thermaltake gears of course :)

nonetheless, this is a very valuable experience for me. Now I understand what may go wrong, and what to look at.

Train with live ammo is alway the best training, there will be causality, but it is the price you need to play. In this case I am lucky, but I pay the price in form of 24 hours of stress and hard work :)

Meh, I don't know why you bought Thermaltake watercooling in the first place when your building an external box. The average hobbyist should know that the have a horrible reputation with constant problems in leaking and cracking acrylic, and horrible RMA support.

Meh, I don't know why you bought Thermaltake watercooling in the first place when your building an external box. The average hobbyist should know that the have a horrible reputation with constant problems in leaking and cracking acrylic, and horrible RMA support.
that, and they're not that cheap...so what drove you to buy Thermaltake stuff in the first place? :confused:

glad it's all running good though :D

People here may heard about my external Rad box project. I came up with this plan because, the more I read in this forum, the more I realize the danger I have in with my TT equipment I knew I need to change to another more reliable solution very soon..

I started ordering stuff, and drawing my design on scrap papers....

but too bad, disaster strike before I can prevent it.

One of the tube on top of my TT high exchanger (a cpu block with rad on top) ruptured and leaked on to the mobo, two 8800GTXs, and Audigy2 ZS....

I noticed it quite soon and try to rescue them immediately.

after a night of work, the CPU, RAM, and Sound Card is comfirmed OK, as I can run them on other system

HDD and CDROM is unknown, but I bet they are fine....

I can't POST, so I assume the mobo is dead.

the first 8800gtx is all soaked.... so I assume it is dead too,

The second 8800gtx is soaked a bit, I hope it is OK, but as I can't POST I am not sure.

But there are still hope, as my Audigy is still alive after being soaked badly.... so let's pray for me...

I open them and cleaned it, but I can't test them as I don't have any PCI-e board nearby

Hold on up there.
The 8800GTS can survive ALOT.

I was taking my D-Tek Fuzion off of my Core 2 Duo to see the week and code, and maybe reapply some AS5, when the tube on my EK FC-8800GTS slipped.

It leaked ALL over the PCB of the 8800.
I was like, wow, there goes a 400 dollar card.
I almost started crying.

I contacted my neighborhood-friendly Arcygenical on my laptop, and he told me to take a hair dryer, and dry the card off, and rub it with some rubbing alcohol, and let it dry overnight, and do not try to turn it on.

And sure enough, he saved me.

But, my Gigabyte DS3 is dead.

This is why I am going to try Fluid XP in my next build and see how it works

You know what, my interest on Fluid XP grow over the roof overnight. 24 hours ago I thought it doesn't give me the best cooling performance so I ignored it. Now I think the extra assurance is well worth the price and 2-3 degrees of performance degradion....

But I need to know more about it, any review articles for me?

Hold on up there.
The 8800GTS can survive ALOT.

I was taking my D-Tek Fuzion off of my Core 2 Duo to see the week and code, and maybe reapply some AS5, when the tube on my EK FC-8800GTS slipped.

It leaked ALL over the PCB of the 8800.
I was like, wow, there goes a 400 dollar card.
I almost started crying.

I contacted my neighborhood-friendly Arcygenical on my laptop, and he told me to take a hair dryer, and dry the card off, and rub it with some rubbing alcohol, and let it dry overnight, and do not try to turn it on.

And sure enough, he saved me.

But, my Gigabyte DS3 is dead.

Oh, from what I read the machine is not running when the accident happened.... and still your mobo didn't survive??

oh, in the thread opener I said I am planning to build a new external rad box with top notch equipments, to replace my thermaltake POS.

that, and they're not that cheap...so what drove you to buy Thermaltake stuff in the first place? :confused:

I built it 6 months ago, at that time I am not a reader of HardForum....

I just came across this brand in a magazine, thought it is quite good, and started thinking about WC.... you know, they have everything, I can one-stop-shop all the equipments I need.... this gave me a feeling that WC is easy and affordable.

but then WC became my second computer-related hobby (I am a combat fight sim enthusiast), I started reading more about it, and slowly I realized the bad decision I made.

I built it 6 months ago, at that time I am not a reader of HardForum....

I just came across this brand in a magazine, thought it is quite good, and started thinking about WC.... you know, they have everything, I can one-stop-shop all the equipments I need.... this gave me a feeling that WC is easy and affordable.

but then WC became my second computer-related hobby (I am a combat fight sim enthusiast), I started reading more about it, and slowly I realized the bad decision I made.
huh well...we all go through that one time or another...I could bet you wont make such a mistake again hehe ;)

I dried them for a night and tried again this morning.... and.....

THEY WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVERYTHING WOOOOOOOORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

minus my Thermaltake gears of course :)

dancing banana!

Great. man that would have sucked if you lost not one but 2 gtx's. Not to mention the mobo and sound card. Awesome that they work. ;)

now I have no WC, and no spare HSF to use, so I need to disassemble my rig until I finsih my ext rad box project.

before I do that I did a temperature benchmark of my FX-60 on stock voltage, stock clock and stock cooling, which I have never done before....

It is amazing, it idle at 58c and Orthos at 75c.... core temp hit 82c !!!!!!! but Orthos kept running without error.

Before it was running at 3Ghz, 1.375v, idle at 44c and Orthos at upper 58c, (Orthos will crash if temp is highr than 62c).... although it is not a great temp, it did a nice job nonetheless :)

gratz for surviving.

I lost my 9600xt 128mb agp to a shitty thermaltake acrylic block. RMA... and "You overtightened it..." idiots.

I threw the block out and am using a Koolance block a friend sent me instead.

the insurance company shafted me as well. sent me a 256mb sdr 9600 and i didnt check it before i accepted it. "Sorry you broke the seal" later found out that its worth 25quid vs 90quid for a replacement 9600xt.

And yes. My system is somewhat aged :)

Barton Mobile 2500 @ 2.5ghz
1Gb of crucial ballistic
crappy 9600xt? 256mb sdr

been looking into AM2 x2's.

Dont like the c2d's and my games tend to be faster on AMD. I dont play FPS or quake.
Next rig wont be overclocked and bang for buck at present looks to be the x2's due to the sillyly cheap prices over here.

I lost a 6800 ultra due to my own stupidity. Was playing around with my system and forgot to tighten some hose clamps : /

I feel your pain Fatboy !! Every part on my TT WC Case has failed in less than six months.
I've sent some nasty letter's to TT with all the RMAed components. One would think they would get the point and fix their crap.

I saw some people take away all the Watercool gears come with those TT watercooled case, and just use the bare case as a base to build their loop on.

While I won't disagree that the case is quite good for mounting watercooingl gears internally, I think they should start with, let's say a silverstone, from sratch....

the cost will be a about the same, but you got a top-notch case to start with, and it is more environmentally friendly too (no need to throw away brand new stuff, even though they are POS :) )

but in your case, too save some of your investment you may just replace the watercool gear....

oh yes, forgot to ask that too, or he just cheat the insur agency that the card was destroyed due to some "more conventional" accident?

Back