Modding the Coolermaster Aquagate

cerebrex

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm sure some of you are familar with the Coolermaster Aquagate system which was on newegg for 60 bucks a month back. I've made it my mission to squeeze every last drop of performance out of the kit, so I'd like to post up some progress.

The kit itself uses AC power, and of course an AC pump... which has it's advantages. The pump is nothing spectacular, but it is impressive for the price of the kit. In stock form, with 1/4" tubing the coolermaster kit flows roughly 60lph. With extensive modification I've reached 320lph.

Mods so far:

Conversion of heat unit over to 3/8" tubing - The unit itself is designed for 3/8" tubing... but I think whenever the truck showed up with 1/4" quick disconnects, coolermaster just said "screw it" and fired it out as a 1/4" setup. All you have to do is remove the case from the unit, remove the 1/4" quick disconnect bulkheads, and install 3/8" tubing over the exit and inlet - the internal transfer piping is already 3/8" and then put some grommets in to prevent chaffing.

Rear fan - On the back of the head unit there is a 60mm fan mount with grill - but no fan! The fan has 3 settings against the rad - the first is about the only one reasonable to maintain the benefit of water cooling quiet. When you install a 60mm fan to the rear, you're able to get the cooling of level 2, with only running level 1 speeds.
AG_rear_fan.jpg

Waterblock - Here is where I spent my time. The regular stock waterblock is designed for 1/4" tubing.
Orig_acrylic.jpg

Now, as I had said earlier - the pump is not the restriction in the system, it is the components. This waterblock is the biggest bottleneck in the whole system... so how did I go from 60lph to 320lph?!

Firstly, I converted over to 3/8" barbs - Having to drill the stock 1/4" holes out to 7/16" and then 1/4" NPT18 tap some threads in. You can see I also added a center (or third) inlet to further increase flow. This was almost a requirement since I was working with a relatively small waterblock, and flow is the goal.

wbmod_001.jpg

3 barb 3/8" modified block hood.
wbmod_002.jpg

Here you can see a new problem... the barbs rest directly against the sink.

This actually turned out to be a big problem... with the new center barb introduced, water was being forced into only 3 vanes on the sink. The sink is not just submerged in water... it rests directly against the acrylic hood.. sealing the tops of the sink against the hood, and making it impossible for water to travel over them... so effectively wasting 58% of the flow (from my calculations). Special thanks for Raven_766 from the coolermaster forum for the original 2 pics and the initial 3 barb design.

Now, from here I branched off and started additional development to improve flow. The problem was clear, the block itself had to be modified to accomidate more than 5 times the flow.

wbmod_003.jpg

The center of the sink has been marked and ready to be modified.

After about 4 hours with my mill, various tools and some time thinking out my game plan here is the final product:

wbmod_006.jpg

As you can see, I removed a 3/4" circle from the heatsink. I then cut a star pattern into the grid to maximize flow across all the vanes. Finally, I added 5 dimples to increase turbulence and hopefully provide better heat scavenging.

wbmod_004.jpg

Here is the block assembled, everything lined up to the micron.. very pleased. The flow increase is amazing... I will test it's thermal effectiveness this evening if all goes right. Stay tuned!

That's awesome!

I personally would have gone for about 10 smaller depressions in the block, but NOBODY can argue with that work.

Thanks all!

Last night I fabbed up the system in a bare case to check for leaks. I had to go back and put teflon tape on one of the barbs... so I decided to just do them all... I was hoping the tap would be tight enough to not require it, but better safe than thousands in hardware destroyed.

The flow is fantastic.. the pump in this system really is impressive, it was firing a 3/8" water stream straight out 5" into the side of my reservoir, definately have great flow. Soon I will be installing a top mount 2x120mm '77 bonneville heatercore. The great thing about this setup is how compact and clean it is compared to my other setups. All of the water tubing is on the top of my system, theres no mess at all from the processor down.. which is really nice and great for air flow.

That's awesome!

I personally would have gone for about 10 smaller depressions in the block, but NOBODY can argue with that work.

I agree! My initial intention was 16 evenly spaced, but I chose too large a bit and said screw it.

well at the moment I'm at 535FSB @ 3.6GHz and idling at 24c - pretty decent! ill do some benchmarking and screen shots tomorrow!

Love what you did!
Keep up the great log! I was wondering about that setup a few months back, good to see it is "mod'able" ;)

:D

What are your temps at load?

48-52C in orthos depending on the type of blend - games never see higher than 42 normally. That is using the 80mm stock rad that comes with the system, so I can't complain, I'm certain I've hit the capability ceiling of an 80mm rad, so I will add a 2x120mm 77 bonneville heatercore in the next few weeks and make my first step at improving the cooling capability, and not just the flow.

I'm looking at this, and I assumed you used the middle barb for inlet, and the outer two for outlet. is that correct? I don't see it specifically addressed, but i may be a bit daft

hey cerebrex, I haven't cracked open the box for my aquagate yet. What mm is the fan you put in the rear of the unit?

It appears to be a 60mm fan. I am gonna have to pop open this cover and have a look see. Is their an internal connection for the rear fan, or did you have it put in paralell with the front fan? Also, with one inlet and two outlets, how exactly does that connect back to the aquagate system? Can you show a flow layout?

Instead of drilling out the holes, would these 1/4" threaded 3/8" barbs worked instead?
http://www.svc.com/nzl-v10kgb.html

Sorry I don't understand a lot of watercooling in general. I am still new at this.

No. It says G1/4. In this link:
http://www.svc.com/nzl-v13kgb.html

It has the same G1/4 connection to a 1/2" barb. It appears that this "G1/4" is some kind of standard. Is this the standard that is used in the waterblock supplied in the Aquagate? If so, would this be the easy way of changing it to 3/8" tubing without adding the additional port or redrilling the holes?

hey cerebrex, I haven't cracked open the box for my aquagate yet. What mm is the fan you put in the rear of the unit?

60mm rear fan, no need to open the box, you can screw it to the rear of the head unit without ever opening it up.

I'm looking at this, and I assumed you used the middle barb for inlet, and the outer two for outlet. is that correct? I don't see it specifically addressed, but i may be a bit daft

Yes, that is correct, so the coolest water is directly on the core at all times, and the heat is evenly dispersed to the outside in both directions.

It appears to be a 60mm fan. I am gonna have to pop open this cover and have a look see. Is their an internal connection for the rear fan, or did you have it put in paralell with the front fan? Also, with one inlet and two outlets, how exactly does that connect back to the aquagate system? Can you show a flow layout?

Instead of drilling out the holes, would these 1/4" threaded 3/8" barbs worked instead?
http://www.svc.com/nzl-v10kgb.html

Sorry I don't understand a lot of watercooling in general. I am still new at this.

As long as the barb maintains a 3/8" ID then yes, you would make me look stupid for the effort I invested ;)

The center is the inlet, and the two outside barbs are the exit flow - several reasons for this.. first is to get the volume you need through the small waterblock, and secondly you insure that the coolest water is always directly on the core center, where it's most needed. And lastly, you have the ability of a much cleaner system, you can run one barb to your video card, and the other to your northbridge, and then use a Y coupler to bring them back into the pump. For a basic (cpu only) layout, you would just use a Y to converge both outlets from the waterblock back into a 3/8" line, and then into the pump.

Now, also you have the option of using a 1/2" barb in the center, since your aquagate pump's outlet is 1/2"... this would increase the water pressure/velocity across all 3/8" components in the system.

No. It says G1/4. In this link:
http://www.svc.com/nzl-v13kgb.html

It has the same G1/4 connection to a 1/2" barb. It appears that this "G1/4" is some kind of standard. Is this the standard that is used in the waterblock supplied in the Aquagate? If so, would this be the easy way of changing it to 3/8" tubing without adding the additional port or redrilling the holes?

the additional port will increase volume and efficiently much greater than a single 3/8" exit will ever do... and it allows for more even cooling. However, to the casual modder, it might be a better avenue.

I do love the effort you put into it. However, I am not as well versed in modding. I am still new at this watercooling thing and hope to learn more. For my experience, it seems to be wise to utilize something like the coolermaster trident. (that is if I can find it), Then I can switch to 3/8" barbs and tubing, and get some better flow and cooling.

Here is another "I am new" question. I have removed my cover of the Aquagate and see the valved quick disconnect connected to the 3/8" piping. I would like to keep the ability for quick disconnect. However I would like to change to 3/8" hose all arround. Will this product integrate into the current setup?

http://quickcouplings.net/osc/product_info.php?cPath=21_25&products_id=195

You need the complete bulkhead, that looks to be only the male side. There are some nice metal ones available out there if you spend some time looking, I believe FrozenCPU might have them.

I think I might try to find a used Aqua Computer water block to use with this unit, with the idea of eventually moving over to a custom WC setup. And mod the rest of the unit for increased flow of course.

I added a 77 bonneville heater core w/ twi 120mm fan's on a custom shroud - dropped my load to 42c - and I did it all over less than 100 bucks - and a hell of a lot of work.

Back