The Cost Of Slow Loading Websites

HardOCP News

[H] News
A research firm is saying that the time spent waiting on slow loading websites adds up to 2.5 days a year. Making matters worse, the majority of people surveyed said that slow loading pages negatively affects their perceptions of the organization running the site.

Slow-loading websites cost Brits 2.5 days of their lives every year, and users take out their web rage on others and their computer kit. That's according to new research by Tickbox.net for 1&1 Internet which looked into 1,600 internet users' chief net-related moans.

Soooo....what about the positive impact that speedy sites have? Do they ADD to your quality of life?

I read some where that you have 20 secons to impress a surfer, or he goes somewhere else... so if you have a slow loading time, you are screwed.

well, i guess saving time means we can get more done in a day....even more time to goof off at the office.

There can't be more time spent than there actually is in a calendar year. They should state it as, "2.5 days wasted per year."

I have about a 10 second attention span for page loading. After that, I'm on to the next...

Anything calculated over a long enough span is going to look bad. Hell, you could calculate how long it takes you to blink each year, I bet the number would be higher. The wasted time is unimportant. What is important is perception. Some have calculated that you have as low as 50 milliseconds to impress some one.

Honestly, if it doesn't load fast enough(i.e.=I get bored waiting for it), I skip the site and go somewhere else. I don't pay for my "fat-pipes" to sit on slow sites. All the info I need I can get from somewhere else.

Asus' web site is notorious for me. Good thing they usually have good products, 'cause their web site is more often than not, terrible.

I'll wait about 5-10 secs on a website then i will just click back and choose the next website on google. I think thats what most people will do. If you want my custom then invest in servers which will give me what I want quickly. Then I will enter my payment details* quickly.

*After checking for the padlock and site reviews to know the site is reputable. A slow site does not strike me as being a site that is well run and hence might not be that secure.

Slow loading or flash required, I'm outta there.
With google and firefox I tend to open several sites guickly via ctrl+click and they load in the background while I skip for more...

i don't mind flash... but if a page takes over 5 seconds to load i'm outta there (image galleries excepted ;) )

Back