Can one of you guys with a HD 2900XT do me a favour?

alg7_munif

Supreme [H]ardness
In the spirit of this old thread here, I would like to know how well the new GPU from AMD performs in professional applications based on the SpecViewPerf benchmark. The SpecViewPerf 9.0.3 benchmark can be downloaded here (621MB). I ran the benchmark version 7.1.1 (285MB) using the system in my sig and got this result:
Run All Summary

---------- SUM_RESULTS\3DSMAX\SUMMARY.TXT
3dsmax-02 Weighted Geometric Mean = 20.87

---------- SUM_RESULTS\DRV\SUMMARY.TXT
drv-09 Weighted Geometric Mean = 38.05

---------- SUM_RESULTS\DX\SUMMARY.TXT
dx-08 Weighted Geometric Mean = 59.85

---------- SUM_RESULTS\LIGHT\SUMMARY.TXT
light-06 Weighted Geometric Mean = 14.22

---------- SUM_RESULTS\PROE\SUMMARY.TXT
proe-02 Weighted Geometric Mean = 11.72

---------- SUM_RESULTS\UGS\SUMMARY.TXT
ugs-03 Weighted Geometric Mean = 14.13

Here are some results that I found:

8800GTS
8800GTX
7800GTX
X1900XT

It looks like the modded 6800 results here are much better than even the 8800GTX result. You can also compare the results with the Quadro cards here.

Anyone? Btw I've just tried the FireGL softmod on my laptop(mobility X700) and I got the score three times higher than using the Radeon driver(also about 3 times higher than my 7950GT score). Unfortunately I don't intend to use any professional application yet, I'm just curios with the performance of a consumer when compared to a workstation card. It seems to me that a consumer card is very capable to run the professional applications but the performance is crippled heavily by the driver.

It seems to me that a consumer card is very capable to run the professional applications but the performance is crippled heavily by the driver.
Manufacturers try to cripple their desktop cards in professional applications as much as they can to increase profits from their professional lines, and they don't resort solely to driver detuning. If I had a 2900 I'd try the SpecViewPerf benchmark. Maybe when I pick up the 65nm refresh, it would be interesting to see the results.

Here are my results using:
HD 2900 XT
1 6pin, 1 8-pin
858/900 using CCC Overclocker

2 Gigs of ram
C2D 6700 @ 3.0
Spec ViewPref 7.1

Run All Summary

---------- SUM_RESULTS\3DSMAX\SUMMARY.TXT
3dsmax-02 Weighted Geometric Mean = 32.17

---------- SUM_RESULTS\DRV\SUMMARY.TXT
drv-09 Weighted Geometric Mean = 44.23

---------- SUM_RESULTS\DX\SUMMARY.TXT
dx-08 Weighted Geometric Mean = 203.5

---------- SUM_RESULTS\LIGHT\SUMMARY.TXT
light-06 Weighted Geometric Mean = 34.09

---------- SUM_RESULTS\PROE\SUMMARY.TXT
proe-02 Weighted Geometric Mean = 29.31

---------- SUM_RESULTS\UGS\SUMMARY.TXT
ugs-03 Weighted Geometric Mean = 40.95

Nice results, hopefully they won't cripple the performance with the driver.

Are you planning on buying one?

Well if I need to use professional applications only, I would buy an used 6800Ultra from eBay and mod it into a Quadro but the 2900XT is also a good card for games so I think that it is a good card for the price. I want to buy one but I can't buy it yet :D

Back