here's the specs right off the bat:

Coolermaster CM-260 case w/vdf display
Coolermaster silent 450W
AMD x2 3600
ASUS M2A-VM
2 gigs corsair xms2 667
2 160gb Maxtor Sata 300
Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit

I need help. i just completed my first computer build a week or so ago and have been having just one random issue that happens every other day or so. i could be sitting in front of the computer just surfing the net or even nothing just watching tv and the computer will just turn off.

i thought it might be a heat related memory issue. so the first thing i did was re-install the 2 loud 70mm case fans above the memory.....didn't help. so i then popped out the memory and re-sat them......didn't help. the it came to me that maybe the motherboard was running the ram at 1.8v instead of 1.9v by default, so i upped the voltage.....didnt help.

i pretty much figured that i had a bad stick of ram, so to confirm this i ran Prime95 torture test. it ran for 14 hours straight without a problem. this morning i went on the desktop while prime was still running and just opened up a folder, and the damn this just turned off.

i dont know if this is still a memory issue or if it could be a hard drive issue or even an OS issue. it seemed like the computer just stopped while the HD was waking back up.

oh, i must also add that when i turn the computer back on i get a "system boot failure" error. if i just hit the reset button it boots up fine after that though. and when the computer just shuts off the VDF on the front of the screen freezes up with whatever was being displayed at the time and doesnt turn off.

any ideas.

My first thought would be either power (from the wall) or your psu. Check the voltages and make sure your psu isn't going flaky.

You might try running Memtest for a good twelve hours or so to verify that your ram is ok, but I really think you probably have a power problem.

well fixed the problem. i wanted to make sure though so for the past week i've been alternating between some cpu/memory testers going non-stop and i havent had any randoms turn-offs.

turns out their was something corrupted within Vista's install. did a re-install of vista and the problems have gone away.

that was luck there.

Back