Asus' version of the X-Fi

I like it. One thing caught my eye:

Xonar-8.jpg

Really wish marketing people wouldn't flat out lie. EAX 2.0 is not a win against EAX 5.0...backward compatibility and all.

lol they really seem to be stressing DRM circumvention in almost every slide :p

Anandtech is 100% WRONG! Although I see no direct info specifying the MAIN chipset of the card they mention "ASUS is using a proprietary codec chipset called the AV200" is this what your refering to? The card is running a normal plain run o' the mill 8788 chipset. Compare the feature set to any of the other CM8788 cards. ASUS possibly rebranded the chips etc, trying to act as of they built some wonderous new DSP sorry not so...
The Asus Xonar is a 8788 based card....

Really wish marketing people wouldn't flat out lie. EAX 2.0 is not a win against EAX 5.0...backward compatibility and all.
Someone really ought to slam them for that, but, unfortunately, it's not too big a fish.

EDIT: I'm going to keep track of this one anyway. Because these presentations aren't direct marketing/advertising, they aren't really subject to FTC regulations (I don't think). If ASUS decides to use similar deceptive information to sell the Xonar directly, I intend to file a complaint. Information on FTC regulations are here, here, and complaints can be filed here.

Back