The magic smoke:

mwin

2[H]4U
I don't know if this is the appropriate place for this story, but I couldn't find a better one. It does involve a fan controller...so it has something to do with cooling, anyway.

I had a Matrix Orbital LCD display that I was coding up my own controller for. It did CPU monitoring and displayed it on the screen and all sorts of fun stuff. Since it had the fan controller stuff, it was easy enough to manipulate the fan speeds through software. I decided to code up a controller that would adjust the fans based on CPU usage. For my first test of the command, I decided to stop all three fans (two scythe s-flexes and whatever came stock in the front of a Lian-Li PC-G50). I hit the go-button on my little dialog box and the fans cut off. Then I heard, what I believe to be the front fan, making a "bew-bew-bew" noise. I bent down close to the machine, and it appeared to be coming from the fan on the front (the stock Lian-Li one, both the S-Flexes are on the radiator). Then the display blinked out and I smelled the distinct smell of magic smoke.

IMG_0421small.JPG

So, your fan controller was faulty and caused the front fan to short out?

So, your fan controller was faulty and caused the front fan to short out?

I don't know what happened. The fan worked fine, but when I set the PWM to 0 something burned out the controller. I posted on Matrix Oribital's forums hoping to hear from their support staff, but haven't yet.

Back