Asus P5K Deluxe FSB issues

JohnleMVP

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been having a lot of trouble with this board.

It seems other have been able to get it up to 500mhz fsb, but I can't get it past 385mhz.

I was trying to test how high of a fsb I could get so I set my ram to the lower divider and cpu to the lowest multiplier (6x). At 6x multiplier I couldn't get it past 370fsb, but oddly at 8x & 9x multiplier I got it up to 385. (no N. bridge voltage)

With N. bridge voltage and copying other peoples configs (eva2000) I can't get it to post at all above 385.

I recently changed out my ram, Patriot 2GB x 2 PC6400 for some Corsair PC6400 1GB x 2 sticks. The Patriot had errors unless it ram at 800, even at 760ish it had errors.

CPU is good for 3300
RAM is good for 1050 (Corsair)

My config for 400mhz looks something like this
JumperFree Configuration Settings
AI Overclocking: Manual
CPU Ratio Control: Manual
- Ratio CMOS Setting: 8
FSB Frequency: 400
PCI-E Frequency: 102
DRAM Frequency: DDR2-800
DRAM Timing Control: Auto
DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled

Transaction Booster: Auto or Disabled doesn't seem to make a difference in booting
Clock Over-Charging Mode: AUTO

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Voltage: 1.5v
CPU Voltage Reference: AUTO
CPU Voltage Damper: Enabled
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.50
DRAM Voltage: 2.1
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.30
North Bridge Voltage: 1.4
North Bridge Voltage Reference: AUTO
South Bridge Voltage: AUTO

Advance CPU Settings
CPU Ratio Control: Manual
- Ratio CMOS Setting: 8
C1E Suppport: Disabled
Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled
Vanderpool Technology: Disabled
CPU TM Function: Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Disabled
PECI: Enabled

USB Configuration
USB Functions: Enabled
Legacy USB Support: Enabled

Did you try jumping right to 400MHz (or 402MHz)?

A lot of "auto" timings change (more relaxed) once you hit 400 - so give that a try!

edit: NEVERMIND I see from your template that you did try 400.

Try lowering your voltage to 1.4 and see if that makes a difference? Can you lower your DDR timings any more? 5-5-5-15 or 6-6-6-21? Lower speeds? Did you try removing all your memory except for one chip to see if that makes a difference?

PCI-E Frequency: 102 <-- I was going to suggest this as well, but I see that you tried it already!

You could try removing extra peripherals to make sure it's not a PSU issue...

It sounds like you've done your research - I'm not sure you'll find any new information here. My advice would be to keep tweaking and see what ya get.

Yeah I really don't know whats up. I've been messing around with it since Friday without much luck. The ram (Patriot) I was using before was a problem, but the corsairs seem fine. I did try remove my sound card and moving around the sata drives with no luck. I'll try the 1 stick of ram later tonight.

I'm tempted to get another Asus P5K board to see if its just this board or my setup.
I think my psu is okay as it is a Enermax Liberty 500w which should be fine for my setup. I have a spare Antec HE550 but I'm pretty sure its weaker then the Enermax.

Anyways anyone know how to get a 3pin fan to speed control on the newer style 4 pin fan header?

I had better results leaving the mobo voltages at stock, pll and fsb, and setting NB only at 1.4. The 1.5 and 1.3 I did as well and it gave me random blue screens. e4300 week 649 @ 379. Maybe and auto seems to be a good setting for the pci-e, personally 110 did the trick
edit: after reading over that multi setting once again, I had a ds33 that ran fine at 384, but when I messed w/my multi at all, it was all over the place w/my processor, I didn't get into it cause it just wouldn't run no matter what I did, but my p5k is flexible enough for 7 and 8 also 429 or so was one I tried w/no probs
still trying to just get my p5kd to post right now

I'm a noob at overclock but I understand some of it. I'm having the same problem as you. I can't get my fsb to go over 392 with the multiplier set to 8x. I don't understand what you did to fix this issue.:confused: Please help.

Hi there Madblaster6,

Avoid trying to bump old threads. Anyway, E4300 chips generally aren't good overclockers, and cannot reach the high FSB speeds of other chips. Chances are, you have reached the chips limit. Unless, of course, you don't have an E4300.

Back