Thermaltake TMG ND5 coolers just installed...mini-review inside

sabregen

Fully [H]
After patiently waiting for 2 days now (since I just got my second GTS 320SC on Monday...today being Wednesday), I have finally installed and tested the ThermalTake TMG ND5 8800GTS/GTX cooler. This isn't setting out to be a review in the complete sense that [H] offers to us. I'd had these for 2.5 hours at this point. Here's the dirt, complete with pictures.

I bought an additional eVGA 8800GTS 320MB SC edition here on the forums. The catch was that the card was currently (at the time of purchase) being watercooled. The seller informed me ahead of time that the stock cooler was non-operational, so I set out to find new coolers for my existing card and the new one that was on the way. I had looked at the Thermalright coolers, but the idea of giving up more than two slots just wasn't sitting well with me, despite the performance that Thermalright is reknowned for. As I was searching the forums, I found someone that linked to Sharka Corporation, and the new-ish TMG ND5 cooler (in stock). After looking at the price, while it wasn't bad, I started looking around for other US resellers that had other 8800GTS/GTX cooling solutions...there wasn't any. I then began looking for other resellers of the TMG ND5...there wasn't any. I figured that it was "a sign" and that I should go ahead and pull the trigger on these. For those that have been looking, and want to go check out ThermalTake's marketing product page, and the link to Sharka Corporation, here you go:

Sharka Corporations TMG ND5 link
ThermalTake's product page

Now to start on the real dirt. The stock 8800 cooler that we all know and love has the fan at the rear of the card (near the power connections). The TMG ND5 is the opposite orientation. The 80mm fan on the cooler is near the DVI ports. The cooler blows the air out towards what will be the front of your case. This has caused an interesting dilemma for me. I was planning on a case re-wire job tomorrow, as I have also recently moved up to a eVGA 680i A1...and the previous wire job was for a P5B Deluxe/AP-Wifi Edition. Stuff just isn't in the same place between the two boards. At any rate, I have 3x120mm intake fans just inches from the exhaust of the TMG ND5...which if you recall what I just said, is pushing it's hot air at my intake fans. I will have to choose my fan layout carefully during the rewire. I know that was a bit long-winded, but I think it's worth mentioning, as I know many of you (except you WC'ers, maybe), are going to be in the same boat I am.

The coolers are taller than your stock cooler. Many of us that change video card cooling solutions from stock to something else, are aware of this being pretty normal. The TMG ND5 runs about 2.0" inches above the top of the card. Make sure that your case can support the additional width (when positioned horizontally in a tower case) that this cooler protrudes. Get the measuring tape it you have to. You'll see examples of this in the pictures I post below.

The TMG ND5 does NOT interfere with SLi bridge connections. If it did, I would call ThermalTake's R&D department and give them what for. Aside from the additional height in the cooler, there's nothing about this cooler that will prevent normal connections for SLi users, like myself.

Now that you have all of my "issues" with the cooler, here's some step by step install stuff, and some notes on that whole process.

The victims are two eVGA 8800GTS 320MB SC editions (no GTS 320MB flames, please...that's not why I am doing this):
027.jpg

The replacement coolers for the stock ones arrived in perfect shape, on time from Sharka Corp. They were more than helpful to me, throughout the order process. The items were shipped within 24 hours from ordering, and they provided tracking information upon shipment. This is what we have all come to expect from places like ZZF, ClubIT, and Newegg. It's nice to see a company (whom I have never dealt with, or even heard of before this!) follow suit, and let you know what's going on. I even e-mailed the customer service contact representative while I was at work (because I can't access my personal e-mail there...it's an Air Force Base, and they block it) to get my tracking information that I had forgotten to write down...they responded within an hour with the tracking number so that I could quell my anxiousness. That's above and beyond, as far as I am concerned!
028.jpg

This comprises the retail packaging that Thermaltake gives you. The cooler, the mounting hardware, a TMG ND5 stiocker for your case badge library, instructions, thermal pads, mosfet sinks,and product registration information card, for your records. As we have all come to expect, pretty standard fare here.
029.jpg

The first victim for the cooler install. At this point, I have installed the RAM thermal interface pads. Note that they are probably close to 1/8" thick. Using AS5 simply does not work for the RAM, so don't even try. The cooler (stock and the ND5) sit mainly on the GPU core (which is massive), and will not make contact with the RAM chips. If you choose not to use these pads, and elect to find your own, keep this in mind.
032.jpg

These are the mosfet aluminum coolers. I could have removed the provided adhesive and replaced it with AS Ceramique (and may, in the future), but I was far to excited to get all this installed (remember, I had two cards to do). They're small, and there's four of them. Not much else to do but peel off the backing and stick them on...hopefully you aren't drinking and they are on straight and covering all 3 chips intended to be covered.
033.jpg

Picture of what 3 out of 4 installed mosfet aluminum sinks looks like:
034.jpg

Now, someone may correct me on what exactly this chip is on the 8800 cards. I think it could be the HDCP compositing chip...I don't know for sure. Regardless, the thermal pad for this one matches the thickness for the RAM chips. The pad is very small, probably around 3/16"x3/16". Again, this thickness in the pad is required to make contact with the ND5, so don't lose it. It's small, so that wouldn't even be a challenge. Keep track of it. Here's a before and after:
035.jpg

036.jpg

This is the back of the ND5, the side that makes contact with all the RAM pads, HDCP chip pad, and the copper part, of course, makes contact with the G80 GPU core. The initial picture shows the clamshell platic cover that keeps the TIM from getting smeared of damaged in shipping.
037.jpg

Here's the clamshell removed. It is stuck to the Cu section of the cooler with a clear adhesive. Alcohol or AS Cleaner will make short work of any residual gunk when you remove the clamshell.
038.jpg

At this point, I have wiped the pre-installed TIM off with a paper towel, and am getting ready to use the AS Cleaner 2-step process. I don't trust OEM TIM, I don't care what anybody says. I could have left it I suppose, but if you have ever looked at your G80 core, it's huge. The installed TIM was like 1/2"x1/2", and I just can't trust that it is sufficient, despite my best efforts to trust ThermalTake.
039.jpg

TIM cleaned with AS Cleaner, ready to go.
040.jpg

The victim, trembling and ready for a violation...lucky, not a warranty violation, thanks to eVGA's warranty policy on aftermarket coolers.
041.jpg

The G80 core with 5 dots of AS5 on it. Yes, that's a lot (you know you were thinking it!), and I made sure to remove the excess when it was all fairly even. Here's a before and after:
042.jpg

043.jpg

Here is the back of the 8800 and it is sitting on the ND5 at this point, the mounting hardware is out, and the holes are all aligned. Be sure to use the included plastic washers to keep from shorting your card (or worse, frying it) when mounting the cooler to the card. I'm going to keep it short here, but here's the process:
044.jpg

045.jpg

046.jpg

From the back of the cards PCB, this shows the height of the ND5 over the stock cooler. Like I said before, this is approximately 2" above the PCB.
046.jpg

Another top down shot here. this one, showing the TMG ND5 installed on the 8800, and how the visual appearance is. From the front it is obvious that the cooler is above the PCB at the top section, but hard to see just how much.
048.jpg

And finally, we have the approximate line up (of where each card would be positionally on the card, in relation to one another) of the eVGA 8800GTS SC edition stock cooler versus the ThermalTake TMG ND5 cooler. This shows how much the dimensions differ between the stock cooler and the ND5. Also present is the rear-venting of the ND5 versus the backplate venting of the stock cooler. Notice that the ND5 is much stockier, opting for vertical expansion over the stock coolers lengthier solution. I would expect that this allows the ND5 to dump the heat quicker from the card because the heat being generated has less distance to travel. With the stock cooler, the hot air has to travel the entire length of the card, heating components along the way. With the ND5, what we get is a shorter run from heat source to heat exhaust. The drawback with the ND5 (as previously stated) is that it will be venting towards your intake fans. I can't imagine why ThermalTake went this route, and I have concerns that a forceful fan setup (for intake) could overpower the ND5's 80mm fan's ability to expell the air against the incoming air pressure provided courtesy of the intake fans on your case.
049.jpg

All of that being said, and done, I am now running SLi. I have both of my cards flashed to 650core/950memory. This was a lowest common denominator solution. My original card was flashed to 665/965 with the original cooler, but the new card had been tested by the previous owner to 650/950. I tested it myself, after installing the NS5, and found that I could go higher, but I had concerns about stability and heat.

I must say that I have added Sharka to my favorites list after dealing with them. They were top notch in getting these to me, and assisting my anxiety when I asked for a tracking number from work because I was too dumb to write it down before I left my house. If you haven't dealt with them before, I suggest you check them out!

Thermaltake has another well planned and delivered product on their hands. We all know and love them for many reasons. Even if you're not a fan, they do provide alternatives in design and function in the marketplace. That, in and of itself, it good for all of us. More products competing for market share in the enthusiast market benefits us all at some point, even if you're really on a budget. It's the trickle down effect. What is hot and high-end now will come to the budget sector in time, and we're all better off for it.

I bet you're all wondering what the temps are like with these, right? All temperatures were obtained in all cases using nvmonitor, and recorded by using the logging capability built in to the application, recording it to a TXT file. Load temps are obtained by running 2 back to back instances of 3DMark06 (since I can't get ATiTool 0.26Beta to read my clocks), the highest load temp obtained is wat is reported. My apologies for not having reported all of the information when I initially made this post last night. I was just trying to get this out before I went to bed. In a cooler review, one of the most important things would be, of course, the temperature differences. I have fixed the layout after going back this morning, and reading it....I was confused. Sorry about that, here's the data (hopefully, in a more readable format).

8800GTS SC edition stock, single card @ 576/850 = 62c (idle on STOCK COOLER)
8800GTS SC edition stock, single card @ 576/850 = 59c (idle on ND5)
8800GTS SC edition overclocked, single card @650/950 = 67c(idle on STOCK COOLER)
8800GTS SC edition overclocked, single card @650/950 = 65c(idle on ND5)
8800GTS SC edition overclocked , SLi overclocked @ 650/950 = 73c(idle on STOCK COOLER)
8800GTS SC edition overclocked , SLi overclocked @ 650/950 = 71c(idle on ND5)

8800GTS SC edition stock, single card @ 576/850 = 82c (load on STOCK COOLER)
8800GTS SC edition stock, single card @ 576/850 = 79c (load on ND5)
8800GTS SC edition overclocked, single card @650/950 = 84c(load on STOCK COOLER)
8800GTS SC edition overclocked, single card @650/950 = 82c(load on ND5)
8800GTS SC edition overclocked , SLi overclocked @ 650/950 = 88c(load on STOCK COOLER)
8800GTS SC edition overclocked , SLi overclocked @ 650/950 = 84c(load)

So, despite my concerns about intake fans over-pressuring the 80mm fans on the ND5s, the coolers are doing well. I think, unlike Thermalright, ThermalTake has opted for quieter operation (compared to the stock cooler) instead of a maximum OC cooler. I have done many aftermarket video card mods, and the temp drops on those were more substantial. However, I am kind of prone to doing the swap anyways. I'm an excess kind of guy (where I can afford it). I like these more (aesthetically) than the stock cooler.

I may have left something out that you wanted to know, so post it here in the thread! I was PM'ed several times regarding this purchase, and asked to provide some information on these coolers when I had them installed. Well, now you know my take on these. My rig specs are in my sig line, so check them out if you're curious about my particular setup. I hope it helped for those that are considering this because the Thermalrights are too big. Let me know what you think!

I'm going to guess the lower temps are with the TT cooler? (You don't have them labeled) One thing I would like to know are load temps. Even though the ATITool artifact scanner would be heating them up more than if gaming it would still be nice to know as the load temps are what really matters :)

I'm going to guess the lower temps are with the TT cooler? (You don't have them labeled) One thing I would like to know are load temps. Even though the ATITool artifact scanner would be heating them up more than if gaming it would still be nice to know as the load temps are what really matters :)
was just gonna say that too :)

ambient and load temps please.

install Rivatuner and open the temp monitor and play a game for a hour or 2 then see what temps you get.

also please resize your pics. they are way too big and i have a 24" LCD :p

you guys are right, they are damned big. I will resize them tonight and update the thread. I can't get ATiTool running under Vista, for some reason. It finds the card, but reports the clocks to be 0.00/0.00 Any ideas?

Think you need the beta to get it working under Vista. Check their forum.

Those temps are crazy high, though. I mean, your idle temps are 7-8C+ higher than my load temps.

Also, not to bash Thermaltake too badly, but why wouldn't you use the exhaust out the back strategy with these? It makes absolutely no sense, at all. Now rather than getting the hottest air out of the case, you've got it being pushed in to it. I hope you have a /lot/ of exhaust fans, and I bet your CPU and northbridge temps went up a good bit...

you guys are right, they are damned big. I will resize them tonight and update the thread. I can't get ATiTool running under Vista, for some reason. It finds the card, but reports the clocks to be 0.00/0.00 Any ideas?

ATI Tool isnt supported by Vista at this time, AMD GPU Tool is the only other option other then CCC for Vista

ATI Tool isnt supported by Vista at this time, AMD GPU Tool is the only other option other then CCC for Vista

...he has 8800GTS's, so I seriously doubt CCC is an option for him. Read before you post. Vista is supported by the beta -- I was using it a couple of weeks ago.

CPU temps did go up, in fact. The heat isn't affecting my CPU OC. What's holding me from going higher on the CPU isn't temperature related, but it don't go any faster than it's at and stay stable. I can get a POST and into Windows before it crashes, all the way up to ~3400. The MCP though...holy hell. I left my machine on overnight, and awake to a a STOP error BSOD. I rebooted the machine, and checked my volts and temps in BIOS. MCP was at 210, with the damned fan on. The rewire job is going to have to happen sooner rather than later, I need to clear out the cable mess and reorganize my fans to get the most out of the new layout. I still can't figure out why ThermalTake went the route that they did with the cooler dumping the air into the case. I agree that I can't make sense out of it, either.

Also, I am using ATiTool 0.26Beta...it's a no go.

UGH, I am glad you are happy with these because all I can think of is the nightmare I am having with my ACCELERO X2 on my X1900XTX which is EXACTLY what these are, just fitted for the 8800 series of cards. I will NEVER get a non rear case exhausting card again. The fact of having 80+c air being thrown into my case just totally sucks. I got the Accelero X2 because yes, I wanted quiet. The cooler definitely is quiet but I have had to lower my card down to nearly below stock to keep from crashes due to the heat caused from this cooler. You are right, my Chipset temps have gone way up which just causes its fan to speed up cancelling any noise saving I have achieved going to this cooler. When it comes to taking that cooler off, good luck as well. If it is anything like the Accelero it will literally be cemented onto your card making it nearly impossible get off without ripping components off with it

Use an image host like www.bbpix.com that does on-the-fly linked thumbnailing for christ's sake! These images are entirely too big to be embedded in any forum post. :mad:

The thermal pad on the coolers is Shin-Etsu G71 which is just as good as AS5, you would have done fine leaving it on.

Also you would think that TT would have used the onboard fan header for fan power, or at least configured things so this would have been a viable option. A big fat thumbs down in my book.

I may revisit the design of the coolers during the rewire, and look for a mod possibility. I think maybe a nidec gamma fan at the vent end, blowing the air back towards the rear of the case, disconnecting the 80mm that is included (no power to it), and fitting a custom shroud to exhaust the heat out of the rear of the case through the bracket vents. I would do it in a way so that the ND5 is not permanently modded. It would be a slip-over design, to fit on top of the existing plexi shroud that the ND5 uses. I will take a look. I am not excited about the idea of dumping hot air x2 into my case due to the coolers design, especially since the built in 80mm fan is fighting my intake fans. Air flow meeting air flow can only cause issues, IMO.

So let me get this straight. You were getting ~80c idle temps on 2 8800 gts:s and decided to change the cooling? Thing is, if you have 2 cards idling at such high temps, it's the case cooling that sucks. Even with heavily oc'd 8800 gts, idle temps shouldn't go above 65, unless the case airflow sucks. On my 650/1000 8800gts LOAD temps never go above 79c, fan set at auto. Those new coolers don't look good at all imo. Looks as bad as an accelero X2. Dumps the hot air back into the case. Stock cooler is quiet and pushes hot air out the back of the case. I have yet to see an aftermarket cooler that's worth the trouble on an 8800 series. The HR-03 (or something) also dumps the hot air back into the case (although I would definitely rather go for that than these)...

Good post, To add my 2 cents, other than airflow suggestions, The temp might drop if you whipe off that Arctic silver you put on there, and put a single drop in the middle, the size of a grain of uncooked rice, just like you would a CPU, THat is way too much AS5 you have on there.

I have read multiple different opinions on application of AS5 to CPU cores, etc. I have never tried the grain of rice theory. It basically scares the hell out of me to have that little of an area of positive thermal contact.

THat is way too much AS5 you have on there.

Agreed. Even after you spread it out and thinned it, its still a glob. You only need a paper thin layer.

This thread is worthless without labels. The higher temps are with stock or the ND5? You never touched upon that at all.

You put WAY too much AS5 on, the goal is to achieve a translucent coating. It is there to fill microscopic pits in the metal surfaces, not to act as a layer of material between metal surfaces.

Sorry about the temp info guys, I was just trying to get this thing posted before bed last night. I brought the nvmonitor logs from last night with me, and went through them. Temp information updated, with labels. Hopefuly, it's easily discernable now.

You put WAY too much AS5 on, the goal is to achieve a translucent coating. It is there to fill microscopic pits in the metal surfaces, not to act as a layer of material between metal surfaces.

Is everyone of this opinion? I am aware that too much TIM can cause insulation versus effective heat transfer. I can pull them and redo it, if you'd like.

Is everyone of this opinion? I am aware that too much TIM can cause insulation versus effective heat transfer. I can pull them and redo it, if you'd like.

You really need hardly ANY as5. Im talking about a grain of rice and spread that as thin as you can get it. It should almost be transparent.

You really need hardly ANY as5. Im talking about a grain of rice and spread that as thin as you can get it. It should almost be transparent.

If this is a consensus then I can redo it. It seems silly to me that I've been doing it that wrong for that long, and done as well as I have OC'ing my stuff. Is it reality check time for me? ...how depressing.

Thanks for adding the load temps.

As for the AS5, that does look like a lot. I'm a subscriber to the grain of rice method myself. It seems to spread out from the grain quite nicely during use as when I pull a HS there is a nice thin covering over most of the chip.

just so you guys no, ATItool does work with vista. First download the 0.27 beta of it. heres the link

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Video-Tweak/ATITool.shtml

Then, restart your computer, after you post press F8 before windows starts to rbing up your windows boot options, you want the run with out driver checking option. Once vista starts install atitool and run it, it should detect your cores. You have to turn off driver checking everytime you want to use ATI tool when you start your computer up though.

doh...i forgot to disable the driver checking...damnit! forgot all about that! thanks, I will try it when I get home.

just so you guys no, ATItool does work with vista. First download the 0.27 beta of it. heres the link

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Video-Tweak/ATITool.shtml

Then, restart your computer, after you post press F8 before windows starts to rbing up your windows boot options, you want the run with out driver checking option. Once vista starts install atitool and run it, it should detect your cores. You have to turn off driver checking everytime you want to use ATI tool when you start your computer up though.

Thought this was only true of 64 bit Vista... and I'm fairly sure it's a toggle even then, not an 'every time' situation.

can anyone provide some insight, or a short instruction on how to do this? If you can disable the UAC, so that you don't have to confirm an action a million times before it executes, then i would think that this could be done too.

Disabling UAC is easy -- msconfig, tools tab, click disable UAC, click launch, close, restart. Of course, I think you've already done that.

Disabling driver signing check is just F8 before windows startup, choose the option. Should also be able to pass it to the OS via boot.ini, but I'm not sure of how you'd do that, so... eh. As I said, I think it's a toggle, not a per use setting, so you just have to choose the option once.

Disabling UAC is easy -- msconfig, tools tab, click disable UAC, click launch, close, restart. Of course, I think you've already done that.

Disabling driver signing check is just F8 before windows startup, choose the option. Should also be able to pass it to the OS via boot.ini, but I'm not sure of how you'd do that, so... eh. As I said, I think it's a toggle, not a per use setting, so you just have to choose the option once.

indeed, UAC is already off. I am now my own liability! :D For those following this, there could be a mod project involving these coolers coming this weekend. I'm going to try my hand at making a custom shroud that covers all of my PCI and PCI-E slots, removing the plastic shrouds on the ND5's (and the fans), which will leave the GPU clock coolers and the mosfet sinks open. The shroud for the expansion slots will be fed by the Antec 900's wind tunnel cage, 2x120mm and exhausting out the back. Since I've only cut plexi and lexan before, and never used a heatgun to heat it up and bend it....this will be interesting. I will get pics up if I do get to it this weekend. The reason I am thinking of keeping the blocks from the ND5's on the cards already, and just removing the shrouds and the fans is because the design of the ND5 block gives me the impression that it will be able to get the heat away from the core quicker than the stock cooler. 4 heatpipes are better than 2, IMO.

update. My MCP chip was at 210 because the power cord from my PurePower Express GPU PSU was kinked up into the MCP fan. It's back to 148 now (not that that is low, either).

[H]Opterown;1031206413 said:
Hold the camera still, your pictures make me nauseous! Nice cooler though ;)

you wouln't BELIEVE how many people laugh at my pictures...meh...screw em!

Heh, yes I had to scroll sideways on my 24" and yes, the pics were a bit blurry at times, but thanks for the effort. Not sure if I like the design of those, I stuck a NV silence on my 7800 GTX and that did a much better job of lowering GPU temps, but that at least blew the hot air out the back, I don't know if I'd want these.

The version of Everest I'm using, btw, gives me GPU, GPU diode, and GPU ambient temperatures of my 8800 GTX.

UGH, I am glad you are happy with these because all I can think of is the nightmare I am having with my ACCELERO X2 on my X1900XTX which is EXACTLY what these are, just fitted for the 8800 series of cards. I will NEVER get a non rear case exhausting card again. The fact of having 80+c air being thrown into my case just totally sucks. I got the Accelero X2 because yes, I wanted quiet. The cooler definitely is quiet but I have had to lower my card down to nearly below stock to keep from crashes due to the heat caused from this cooler. You are right, my Chipset temps have gone way up which just causes its fan to speed up cancelling any noise saving I have achieved going to this cooler. When it comes to taking that cooler off, good luck as well. If it is anything like the Accelero it will literally be cemented onto your card making it nearly impossible get off without ripping components off with it

The design of those coolers is another TT failure. They are completely ass-backwards. If they were exhausting out the back, I'd have already ordered four of them for my pair of GTX's and GTS 640's.

The new Riva 2.02 does work with vista. As far s the AS5, I used to be a non-believer in the grain of rice method. After I used the first time and then put the heatsink on I was amazed and the difference in temps. I never spread it anymore but let the heatsink do that as it is attached. Good review by the way. It answered my main question of whether or not it vented the air out of the back. I was disappointed to see that it doesn't but at least it doesn't dump it right on the chipset like those accelero's did.

Back