New SMP clients now available

Xilikon

[H]ard|DCer of the Year 2008
Since the current SMP beta clients is set to expire on july 1st, kasson released a new set of clients :

Windows SMP = http://forum.folding-community.org/ftopic20376.html
Linux SMP = http://forum.folding-community.org/ftopic20375.html
Mac/Intel SMP = http://forum.folding-community.org/ftopic20374.html

Those clients can be grabbed from the download pages at http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html

Please update your clients to avoid being stopped when it expire during the weekend.

Just 2 notes : With the WinSMP client, only fah.exe and UILANG1.UDB are updated so you only need to replace those files. It should be similar with others. kasson has said there are no other changes to those clients beside extending the expiration date.

What will happen if I don't upgrade and the current client is in the middle of a WU?

What will happen if I don't upgrade and the current client is in the middle of a WU?

I dunno. I guess it will stop stopping either on the change date or when the WU expire.

I've got it up and running. It resumed working on the unit the older client was crunching, its a good thing but seems a little weird. did it install right?

client version is now 1.01
smp core is now 1.74
is this correct?

I've got it up and running. It resumed working on the unit the older client was crunching, its a good thing but seems a little weird. did it install right?

client version is now 1.01
smp core is now 1.74
is this correct?

Just ignore the client version as long as you replaced fah.exe with the new one. The core isn't affected because it has no expiration date and it can be updated itself.

Normally, the client version for SMP is 5.91 beta 4.

It will continue to run properly until you stop it. Once you try to restart it you'll get an error saying that the date has expired.

Its really the same issue we saw with the Linux SMP earlier in the year... TWICE.

Oddly this comes at a great time for me as I just shut down the SMP on my home PC this morning when it finished a WU so that I could do an OS reinstall..I finally get to retry the SMP client natively instead of WMWare with a hopefully bit more stable SMP client

Oddly this comes at a great time for me as I just shut down the SMP on my home PC this morning when it finished a WU so that I could do an OS reinstall..I finally get to retry the SMP client natively instead of WMWare with a hopefully bit more stable SMP client

Don't get the hope too high because kasson said it's just a reset of the expiration date without any bugfixes. The fixed version will come later.

Yeah I have had it work properly on other machines just not this one. But then again this one already had about 3 months worth of crap installed on it already so I am hoping that a fresh reinstall will solve the issue. At least I can hope :)

Thanks for the headup.

Just upgraded all my 8 clients.

Luck ........... :D

And now I get to try and remember how I got it working on the Mac Core Duo :) Been a while since I even looked at that thing

I'm having some problems dowloading the new SMP client. Of course I waited until past the deadline.

My SMP client said that I was too late and it would not work any longer. So I changed the hands of time (and told my box that it was last thursday) and it started working again.

Now the SMP clients are working again I can focus on d/l'ing the new SMP client.

I should have listened to Xilikon.

Thanks Xilikon -----

I copied over those two files you mentioned after installing the SMP in a temp folder. When asked whether I should uninstall the old SMP program I said "no."

Everything working fine now. Thanks. ;)

Thanks for the heads up, couldn't figure out why my MacBook quit folding. Only lost about a day of work. Just wish it was a bugfix release.

Fold on people! For tuxedoedShrimp

why couldn't the updates be "auto pushed to the client" ?

The cores are coded to be automatical download so are updated that way.
The clients on the other hand are coded to be manualy installed.
There a much greater chance of someone making a rouge installer if it was coded the other way.

Luck ............ :D

Back