Suggestions for headphones for gaming

I'm in the market for some headphones; their only use is going to be for gaming so a "gaming headset" is probably going to be my best bet. Although i'd like to get some HD595s, they lack 5.1 surround sound and a microphone. Plus, i'm not exactly an audiophile so chances are i'm not going to tell much of a difference in sound quality between your average gaming headphones and something from Sennheiser.

So, out of all the gaming headsets available, which would be the best?

Also, bear in mind i'm running 32-bit Vista using onboard sound; i'd also like to invest in a sound card pretty soon. Price isn't really a factor here, i just want something descent (since i'm likely to have it for a while) which will be compatible with Vista.

Thank you.

yeah a 595 and a zalman clip on mike will blow the doors off of ANY 5.1 headset.

Yeah, i would really like the 595s, but i just think a proper surround-sound headset would be better for gaming since i'll be able to position sounds better.

Plantronics GameCom Pro 1.

Best bang for the buck.

They look pretty good, but they have small ear cups unlike a lot of others.

Out of the following, which would be the best for gaming?

£59.87 SpeedLink Medusa SL-8796 5.1 Home Edition + 5.1 Amplifier
£43.46 SpeedLink Medusa SL-8793 5.1 ProGamer Edition
£89.29 Razer Barracuda HP-1 Gaming Headset
£53.35 SteelSeries SteelSound 5H V2 USB Gaming Headset (comes with a sound card, apparantly)
£45.58 SteelSeries SteelSound 5H v2 Gaming / VOIP Headset
£35.19 Icemat Siberia
£53.99 Plantronics GameCom Pro 1

Is there any point getting the Medusas with the Amplifier over the normal version; would it be possible to connect some 5.1 speakers up to the amp, too?

I'm also considering a lot of the headphones Sennheiser headphones in their Pro-Gaming range (like the PC 161/166), however these have very small ear cups and i imagine they wouldn't be as comfortable as some of the large ones mentioned above. Oh, and not forgetting the HD595s and HD515s (i'd have to get a seperate microphone with these).

Thank you for your replies; keep them coming!

Now I'll make a suggestion based purely on the observations of others and not on my own testing or experience--something I try never to do on this forum:

Based on what I've read and others have told me, the "real 5.1 headsets" don't actually provide a better positional listening experience than an excellent pair of stereo headphones paierd with either Creative's CMSS 3D or the Dolby Headphone algorithms. The one of these that I have never used is a 5.1 headset. I CAN tell you that both the Creative solution and Dolby Headphone technology are excellent for positional audio and you will definitely be able to pinpoint sounds in fps and other games very easily with these solutions even with a basic set of stereo headphones. They are MUCH more effective than using these technologies with stereo speakers because they have an enclosed space of air in which to work and mate well with the physics of the human ear.

Buddies of mine have told me that I should save my money because it's not really a better listening exprience with the 5.1s. That said, I'd still like to try a couple of them out just for comparison's sake...

Edit: Essentially, what I'm saying here is that it may be better to try a sound card that supports one of these features with a decent set of standard stereo headphones if you have the PCI slot to spare. You may even get better sound quality out of it depending on how much you are willing to spend on this solution. Good luck with whatever you decide!

I've tried "5.1" headphones... worthless.

Recently, I've transitioned to a set of Beyer DT770Pro's, and have been extremely happy. Good positioning, good bass. If you choose to go that route, make sure you pick up the 80ohm varient. anything greater than that really needs an amp to drive it properly.

Very comfortable, and I use a Zalman Clip-on mic. All together, and excellent combo!

Cheers, RavenZero. What sound cards support those technologies you mentioned, since i'm hoping to get a Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Professional?

HyperTension, what sound card do you use with those DT770 Pros; and do you use either of those technologies RavenZero mentioned for better sound positioning?

I know a descent pair of stereo headphones would produce much better sound than these "gamer" 5.1 headphones, but the better sound quality will probably just go to waste with me since i'm not likely to tell much of a difference.

I may just end up getting the Medusas with the amp it comes with. Out of all of the 5.1 gaming headphones i mentioned (with microphones), which is the best? Then i can narrow down my decision between a select few of the 5.1 headphones and some of the descent stereo variants.

Thanks again, guys.

It depends on the 5.1headsets. Not all of them are made alike. I know the ones to stay away from like the LTB ones. Those i wouldnt touch with a pole. I went for the Razer ones instead of the Steelmats if i spelled it right because I didnt like they way they did it. I game better with 5.1 headsets over stereo headsets. And I perfer Surround music listening over Stereo Headset music listening.

I used to game with Stereo headsets, I got sick of it becuase I couldnt tell where stuff was coming from. When I got my first pair of 5.1 headsets the kinyos, I could tell where stuff was coming from much easier then i could with stereo headsets. then later on when the XFI came out I did tried its CMS 3d headphone mode.

i couldnt hear where stuff was coming from but it was a tad better then without it. But I still couldnt tell that well. Then I went back to 5.1 headsets and then I could tell where stuff was coming from Where people was going to and what not. Thats why I cant stand gaming with normal headsets.And why I use 5.1 headsets over stereo headsets.

Because I can tell my surroundings better with 5.1 headsets then what I could with Stereo and cms headphone mode. People ears are diffent what works for you do not works for another person. Just because it dont for you do not mean the other person will not hear it either.

He might be the same as me or not but he will not know til he try some for his self to find out. and use which one he perfer. Thats the only way he will see which one his gaming sounds better to him.

I would say try some Razers, then some TB HPA2s or some Medusas if you an get ahold of some and see if you can hear your surroundings better. with them or with those tech. Because your ears is your ears only you will know for sure.

I dislike it when some one tell me that I dont hear better with 5.1 headsets because they dont. They dont know what i hear. Just because you cant hear it do not mean no one can.

Every one has diffent ears. I game better with 5.1 headsets then stereo headsets because of me picking out the sounds better then I could with stereo headsets and cms mode.like if i played a fps with stereo headsets I cant tell if hes behind me shooting or on the side shooting. With 5.1 headsets I can tell if hes behind me or running behind me or on top something shooting.

I cant stand tech like Cms headphone and dobly headphone because of that. I dont use dobly headphone mode because of that same reason, so telling me that you dont hear your surroundings better then Stereo headsets with 5.1 headsets is opinions becuase it comes down to the person ears.

Because I am getting sick of being told what i hear and dont hear from people that dislike me using 5.1 headset over there stereo headsets.

Cheers, RavenZero. What sound cards support those technologies you mentioned, since i'm hoping to get a Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Professional?...

...Thanks again, guys.

The Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro (or any X-Fi) will be able to utilize the CMSS 3D technology. Dolby Headphone has been around for a while now. Several motherboards include it (all those with the Dolby Home Theater or Master Audio certifications) and all of the new Oxygen HD based sound cards like the Buegears b-Enspirer, Sondigo Inferno, Razer Barracuda AC-1 (which is actually recommended to be used with their 5.1 headset!), Auzentech X-Meridian and the HT Omega Claro(+). Just as a side note, many multichannel receivers come with positional headphone technology as well--Denon, Harman Kardon and Sherwood are just a few companies that produce such receivers. Many can take a multichannel source and output it with positional algorithms through the headphone jack of the receiver. Just more food for thought...:)

Thank you for your input everyone. I think i'm going to get the SpeedLink Medusa 5.1 Home Edition + 5.1 Amplifier, since it will allow me to have my speakers connected to my computer at the same time. Plus, from what i've read, it's one of the best gaming headsets available.

Thank you for your input everyone. I think i'm going to get the SpeedLink Medusa 5.1 Home Edition + 5.1 Amplifier, since it will allow me to have my speakers connected to my computer at the same time. Plus, from what i've read, it's one of the best gaming headsets available.

Enjoy them when you get them I would had got them if I knew about them before I got my Razer headsets.

Enjoy them when you get them I would had got them if I knew about them before I got my Razer headsets.

Thanks. ;)
Is there anything wrong with your Razer headset? I'm still considering it, since it has 7.1 surround sound and an interesting-looked design (plus i have a Razer keyboard and mouse :p ).

Edit: Another thing, AdmiralFlameberg, does your Razer soundcard work OK with Vista because i can only find XP drivers on their website?

Stop it with the damn headsets already. 5.1 headsets don't really do the job as well as a real pair of headphones. I have tried ALL headphones and major 5.1 headsets and can say that I like the 595 best for the entry level good sound. Get a 5.1 headset I am sure it will be ok but I KNOW better now lol.

Stop it with the damn headsets already. 5.1 headsets don't really do the job as well as a real pair of headphones. I have tried ALL headphones and major 5.1 headsets and can say that I like the 595 best for the entry level good sound. Get a 5.1 headset I am sure it will be ok but I KNOW better now lol.

What part of people ears are diffent that you dont understand, what you hear do not be the same to another person. Just because you tried all of the major 5.1 headsets and didnt like the way they sound. and they didnt pull you into the gaming world. Do not mean its the same for me.

I used many stereo headsets and 5.1 headsets.I can tell my surroundings easier with 5.1 headsets. If he could tell better with Stereo then yes 595 would be the best choice. but if he doesnt then it wouldnt. and be better off with 5.1 headsets.

You think that because you couldnt tell and it didnt sound good to you that. if any one esle that says other wise your force your opinion onto them. I not gonna let some one tell me how i hear and how i should get stereo headsets because in your view I cant hear my surroundings in my games with 5.1 headsets and they dont sound good to me. Becauses that is your opinion.

I cant stand gaming with stereo Headsets because I can not pick out sounds and i cant stand using CMS headphone and dobly headphones.I would never buy a pair of 595 because I cant tell my surroundings with them. I tried with stereo headsets. I not gonna buy another pair because you say so. I listen to my ears and go with what works for me.

For me 5.1 headsets do the best job for picking out sounds and my surroundings no matter what you think.You can use them all you want but people ears are diffent so it doesnt work out that way.

Thats why when you buying headsets you should listen to them to see how you hear your surroundings in games becuase no one esle can tell you.I happy with my 5.1headsets. I not gonna let some one like you tell me how i hear with them. Force there opinion down my throat.

I know better and will continue to say so b/c the general consensus is exactly as I stated.

You like craptastic 5.1and that's groovy. Go ahead and shake that moneymaker!

lol

chill it's just opinions.

Thanks. ;)
Is there anything wrong with your Razer headset? I'm still considering it, since it has 7.1 surround sound and an interesting-looked design (plus i have a Razer keyboard and mouse :p ).

Edit: Another thing, AdmiralFlameberg, does your Razer soundcard work OK with Vista because i can only find XP drivers on their website?

I have the Razer headphones and sound card. Together they are rock solid and would not trade them. I used the Razer headphones with an X-Fi card and they worked great.

Since I got the Razer AC-1 all I can say is WOW.

Here is a link for drivers that will work with Vista and the AC-1.

http://hosted.filefront.com/genclaymore/1978345

HyperTension, what sound card do you use with those DT770 Pros; and do you use either of those technologies RavenZero mentioned for better sound positioning?

I happen to have the same headphones and running it off X-Fi Fatality. Very good phones (they are relatively heavy though) I think they were initially meant for drummers so they have quite high sound insulation. You put them on and you can't hear anything else just the game...

For me 5.1 headsets are just gimmicks. There is no point in having 5 wee tiny cones farting 3 mm from your ear when you can have one that actually produces sound. More is not always better unless you talk... erm... never mind ;)

I have the Razer headphones and sound card. Together they are rock solid and would not trade them. I used the Razer headphones with an X-Fi card and they worked great.

Since I got the Razer AC-1 all I can say is WOW.

Here is a link for drivers that will work with Vista and the AC-1.

http://hosted.filefront.com/genclaymore/1978345

I glade people are finding out about them instead of hitting there sound card with a hammer. I emailed razer and they made up some kind of bs as usuall.

Look at Grados. Their headphones are amazing for everything, and the SR60 is only $70, and they blow away the competition even at $200-300. Check it out here.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you for the input, guys. I've decided to get the Medusas with the little amplifier. Basically, since it's my first pair of headphones and i'm still using onboard sound at the moment, i thought these would do just fine. If, later down the road, i'm not happy with them i can always sell them off and buy a pair of stero headphones.

I understand that a lot of people think 5.1 headphones are just a gimmick but, personally, i think i'd be able to position enemies in games better with them. I'm no audiophile, and i think the extra quality i'd get with 595s, for example, would just be wasted especially since i'm just going to be gaming. Plus, it'll be a month or 2 before i can get a proper sound card, so i'd be wasting their potential even more. Sometime, i will probably get some descent stereo headphones and see how they are when gaming, but i can't see how i'd be able to position enemies better with them.

I'll report back my opinions of the Medusas when they arrive. Thanks everyone.

I was using them on a X-Fi Plat, and after that I started this vicious circle of better sound.

Now using X-FI Elite Pro. For Gaming, I have CMSS enabled, and have to have that turned off when listening to music (at higher encodings (FLACC and 160+) I think it manipulates the sound stage.)

Adding an Amp made a HUGE difference. I previously had an Altec-Lansing 5.1 with inline amp and DSP (via USB). At the time I though that it was a huge improvement for CS:S and BF2.

:::Insert Loud Annoying Buzzer Sound:::

Wrong.. Granted, I have invested alot more money, but it's a night and day difference. Some people like 5.1. It's all subjective. Personallly, with proper tuning, (hell, just turing it on) this leaves what 5.1 headset sound far, far behind. After applying an amp, I was totally blown away, and continue to do so.

I personally cannot see how a set "5.1" cans recreate that level of audio positioning, with each having a diameter of 3-4 inches with any degree of accuracy, but thats just me.

Enjoy the Medusa's. It was a set that I was looking at to replace my Altec-Lansings. Anything with "Fatality" on the logo (regardless of l33t speak), I refuse to buy, but to each it's own.

With regards to sound cards, look at the X-Fi Gamer. If you get to that point, I can refer you to some people who mod those cards to really improve sound.

Again, good luck. Let us know how everything turns out.

HyperTension, i'm going to be getting a sound card pretty soon but i'm unsure what to get. I think i'm going to get the Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Professional, because it seems like a pretty good investment (with the 64MB of RAM) since i'm likely to have it for a long time. However, i don't know if there's any point getting the Platinum version with the front i/o drive; what do you think. Or there's the Razer Barracuda AC-1 and Auzentech X-Meridian and Auzentech X-Fi Prelude cards.

Stereo head phones can probably provide better positional audio support than any multi speaker set up you can think of. Try using some stereo headphones with some bi-aural sound files. It's absolutely scary.

Stereo head phones can probably provide better positional audio support than any multi speaker set up you can think of. Try using some stereo headphones with some bi-aural sound files. It's absolutely scary.

No don't believe him! Those wonderful quality 5.1 headsets are teh uber leet! All those little speakers have to sound better than just two drivers 4 times the size of the 5.1 drivers!

5.1 headsets don't sound like dry farts at all!

Just having fun people. Really.

I have 595s, and really enjoy them. I have an X-Fi platinum sound card and the surround mode on gaming mode is amazing. I'm quite sure there would be zero difference with 5.1 cans.

I'd put my money on killer stereo cans than 5.1.

As for a mic, I've come to prefer desk mics, I don't like having it right in my face, and all my clan members can hear me just fine in games.

For straight gaming I'd probably prefer Audio-Technica(spelling?) ATH-910 or the Beyer 770.

I got the 595s because I love music as well and Senns are known for their warm & smooth tones, which is what a music listener is after.

Closed cans like the Beyers and ATs will be more punchy, which leans towards gaming.

Best of luck to you. :)

just got an x-fi fatality and a pair of sennheiser hd595's. i can tell you firsthand its an excellent pairing. the sound is incredible, the bass is huge, you won't be disappointed. an expensive but very viable option, in my opinon.

After i've got my fatal1ty card (still don't know whether to get the one with the front i/o drive), i'll probably get some 595s as well. I can use them for games which i don't need the mic for (Oblivion, for example). rsgunter, do you think i'd be better off getting the Beyer 770s over the 595s, then?

OK, so i just read your comparative review of the Medusas and HD555s, Nicepants42; it's very good! I'm glad i chose the former, since being able to know where sounds are coming from are more important to me than the minor decrease in audio quality. Plus, i get the microphone and amplifier, so i don't have to keep un-plugging cables everytime i want to switch to my speakers.

Unfortunately, they still haven't arrived. I'm hoping they'll be here tomorrow, at which point i'll tell you all what i think of them (from a gamer's perspective, though).

Mankind, I'm interested to hear your impressions of the Medusa's. I was just searching through threads as I was contemplating purchasing a cheap headset... and happened to stumble across this thread.

I already have some Sennheiser headphones (495's I think) and they are as good a headphone as I've ever had (the grado 60's and Sennheiser 555's look sweet tho). I ended up purchasing a cheapo Zalman clip on mic because I'm really not in the market for a major purchase but the review on the Medusas' got me interested. So what do you think of them? Any improvments in say, CS:S? All of these mixed reviews make me wonder... I can hear pretty accurately w/ headphones as is...

I ended up purchasing a cheapo Zalman clip on mic because I'm really not in the market for a major purchase
Nothing wrong with that - at least you know your mic is good!

but the review on the Medusas' got me interested. So what do you think of them? Any improvments in say, CS:S? All of these mixed reviews make me wonder... I can hear pretty accurately w/ headphones as is...
It's hard to justify $150 to hear a little better in CS:S, especially if you're trying not to spend a lot.

I've been playing STALKER lately, and the degree of difference in audio code across a couple games is very surprising. STALKER doesn't even let you select your speaker setup, and the Medusas give zero advantage. STALKER may be an extreme example because I think the sound in this game is completely terrible on any headphones, but there you are. I've already noted that there was little difference in Quake 4 also.

I've been in the market for some new headphones for a while now, since I've gotten just about all the use I can out of my $40 Altec Lansing headset I bought from Best Buy. For a while they were a great headset, and for the price they're the best I've ever had, but it's time for something new.

My first question is directed at AdmiralFlameberg. You say you've used various stereo headphones, but that now that you have a decent 5.1 headset you'd never go back to stereo. Could you give us a list of what stereo headphone's you've used for PC gaming? I'm interested to see if you've tried any of the supposed ultra high quality ones like the ATH-A900, DT 770 Pro, HD-595, etc. Also, is the superior direction recognition with your 5.1 headset because it's easier to differentiate between front/right/left/rear sounds, or because you're now able to hear things which you shouldn't? I've heard that the Razer Soundcard is notorious for "cheating", in that it amplifies far away sounds, as well as allowing you to hear others even through thick walls.

The second question is for anyone in general. To the people who vehemently denounce any 5.1 headset as "snake oil", have you actually used any of the headsets in question, or are you simply basing this on what others have said? I have a sneaking suspicion that most of the people who say 5.1 headphones are a gimmick are mostly audiophiles, who are more interested in the best audio quality that money can buy. Rather than gamers that mainly want utility and performance.

As for me, I'm really on the fence about this. Before I decided to give the [H]ard Audio forum a look I was set on buying the Medusa 5.1 Home Edition. I wanted something that would give me good surround sound and positioning, and of all the 5.1 headsets the Medusa looked to be the best quality.

However now I've been reading all these people claim that 5.1 headphones are garbage, and I'm no longer sure of what I want. If I get a stereo headset it'll be either the ATH-A900, DT 770 Pro, or the HD-595. Or if I decide to get a 5.1 anyway, it'll obviously be the Medusa. It's been said that not everyone will have the same reaction to a certain type of headphone, and I tend to agree. Take for example the difference between audio formats. There are some people out there who believe that there's a huge difference between lossless and lossy. To me though, there's really no difference other than the file size. I suppose I'm just not an audiophile.

I just wish there was a way to really try them all before making a purchase, but it's not like most local stores carry these. :p

I've been in the market for some new headphones for a while now, since I've gotten just about all the use I can out of my $40 Altec Lansing headset I bought from Best Buy. For a while they were a great headset, and for the price they're the best I've ever had, but it's time for something new.

My first question is directed at AdmiralFlameberg. You say you've used various stereo headphones, but that now that you have a decent 5.1 headset you'd never go back to stereo. Could you give us a list of what stereo headphone's you've used for PC gaming? I'm interested to see if you've tried any of the supposed ultra high quality ones like the ATH-A900, DT 770 Pro, HD-595, etc. Also, is the superior direction recognition with your 5.1 headset because it's easier to differentiate between front/right/left/rear sounds, or because you're now able to hear things which you shouldn't? I've heard that the Razer Soundcard is notorious for "cheating", in that it amplifies far away sounds, as well as allowing you to hear others even through thick walls.

The second question is for anyone in general. To the people who vehemently denounce any 5.1 headset as "snake oil", have you actually used any of the headsets in question, or are you simply basing this on what others have said? I have a sneaking suspicion that most of the people who say 5.1 headphones are a gimmick are mostly audiophiles, who are more interested in the best audio quality that money can buy. Rather than gamers that mainly want utility and performance.

As for me, I'm really on the fence about this. Before I decided to give the [H]ard Audio forum a look I was set on buying the Medusa 5.1 Home Edition. I wanted something that would give me good surround sound and positioning, and of all the 5.1 headsets the Medusa looked to be the best quality.

However now I've been reading all these people claim that 5.1 headphones are garbage, and I'm no longer sure of what I want. If I get a stereo headset it'll be either the ATH-A900, DT 770 Pro, or the HD-595. Or if I decide to get a 5.1 anyway, it'll obviously be the Medusa. It's been said that not everyone will have the same reaction to a certain type of headphone, and I tend to agree. Take for example the difference between audio formats. There are some people out there who believe that there's a huge difference between lossless and lossy. To me though, there's really no difference other than the file size. I suppose I'm just not an audiophile.

I just wish there was a way to really try them all before making a purchase, but it's not like most local stores carry these. :p

I used mainy Cheaper Stereo Headsets because of my perfer,For gaming I would never pay 50+ for stereo headsets. But For 5.1 headsets 120 is my max. Because I put Muiti channel first over how well the gun shots sound or that guy screaming and what not. That doesnt help me if I cant tell where hes shooting me from.

If all I did was listen to music and not game, then I would buy stereo headsets instead of 5.1 headsets. it just 5.1 headsets Suits my need better then using stereo headsets of any kind since I perfer muiti channel headsets over stereo.

For me it easier to tell where people are coming from and going to and whats behind me easier with 5.1 headsets. Then it is with Stereo headsets. Thats why I cant stand gaming with Stereo headsets.

5.1 headsets make my gaming easier, Because I can hear like bill running behind me to attack me from the other side, I cant tell that with Stereo headsets I tried.

Mosty it depends on the person, some might play better with Stereo headsets then 5.1 headsets, it depends on the person Ears. My ears tell me I play better with 5.1 headsets then I do Stereo headsets.

Yea no one can tell you what sounds good to you, you have to use your ears and find out for your self. That what I did. I had people tell me the same things there telling you.

So I in up using what sounds good for me in gaming and movies.

The Razer ESP is what makes people think it cheats, its that setting. its not the card. If you raise that setting to the max then you can hear stuff your not suppose to hear. if you use like 3-5 dots then your fine. I tend to use 3-5 dots , because maxed out its over powering.

All the Razer ESP setting is, is the VR speaker settings on the other oxygen HD cards. You can hear miles away if you max it out. in this case I dont I dont need to be thinking theres something behind me and it isnt. you get the idea.

The only reason why I own the Razer sound card because I had the headsets first they work better together thats why i have them both.

So i've been away from this thread for so long, but the Medusas only just arrived. First i was incorrectly sent the ProGamer edition, without the amplifier, so i had to send that back and wait for the Home Edition set. To be truthful, i haven't really had much time to you them; not with any games, at least. I can tell you, though, how they are with music.

I'm not too impressed with them thus far on the music-listening front. However, i think this is no fault of the actual headphones (or maybe it is, i haven't quite figured it out yet). Basically, i'm finding it difficult to get any of the speakers, but the front 2, to work when listening to music. I know only the front ones are working because i decrease the volume of them and i'm listening to total silence. Because of this, music lacks the bass and range i should be hearing. Does anybody know how i can get all of the speakers in the headset to work (in 5.1 mode, not stereo which only uses the front 2 speakers) when listening to music?

This is proving quite a difficult problem to solve. When i plug my 5.1 setup into my computer (well, actually, now i don't have to as, with the amplifier, i just have to press a button to switch outputs) all of the speakers work; this leads me to believe the configuration settings on my computer are actually set to 5.1, and not stereo. I've tried pretty much everything to make them work in 5.1 mode, but with little success. I say little because, by fluke, i did manage to get all of the speakers work--at least, i think they were all working--but i have no idea how i managed it. But, even then, i still expected a lot more bass.

Anyway, i'll report back tomorrow after i've fired up Oblivion, CS:S and BF2142 and tell you what i think. Hopefully, these games will make full use of my headset's 5.1-ness, since i didn't buy them for music anyway.

If you've got the Home edition, all you should need to do is make sure that your audio solution is sending 5.1 output to the amp. I haven't had trouble with stereo so far - the front and rear speakers are both powered and the bass level is definitely not the thing I would complain about.

The Razer ESP is what makes people think it cheats, its that setting. its not the card. If you raise that setting to the max then you can hear stuff your not suppose to hear. if you use like 3-5 dots then your fine. I tend to use 3-5 dots , because maxed out its over powering.

All the Razer ESP setting is, is the VR speaker settings on the other oxygen HD cards. You can hear miles away if you max it out. in this case I dont I dont need to be thinking theres something behind me and it isnt. you get the idea.

The only reason why I own the Razer sound card because I had the headsets first they work better together thats why i have them both.

Ah, I wasn't aware that it was a specific user controlled setting that made the Barracuda AC-1 render long distance sounds. I hadn't done a lot of research into that duo very much, and thought that the sound card did that full time.

With all of these polar opinions it's difficult to make a decision, especially since even though I'm mainly a gamer I still do quite a bit of music listening on my computer. I suppose the best thing for me to do is get some first hand experience before making a final decision. I'll most likely order both the Medusa and a high quality stereo headset. I'll just have to use both of them for a few days and see which one is the better compromise between gaming precision and non-audiophile music listening.

If you've got the Home edition, all you should need to do is make sure that your audio solution is sending 5.1 output to the amp. I haven't had trouble with stereo so far - the front and rear speakers are both powered and the bass level is definitely not the thing I would complain about.

Man, this is getting annoying. I'm getting no bass in games, or whatever i listen to with them really; it's like the subwoofer speakers in them aren't working. I mean, in CS:S the gun shots sound very tinny, there's no bass whatsoever. But, when i switch the output to my main speakers, the sub works fine. Plus, when i listen to music, only the front 2 speakers are working. :(

Man, this is getting annoying. I'm getting no bass in games, or whatever i listen to with them really; it's like the subwoofer speakers in them aren't working. I mean, in CS:S the gun shots sound very tinny, there's no bass whatsoever. But, when i switch the output to my main speakers, the sub works fine. Plus, when i listen to music, only the front 2 speakers are working. :(

Could be a bad set of headphones. Send them back. Again, not the best quality gear. The first generation of Medusas were pretty stout but they cheapened them up when they became popular. That's why I do not recommend 5.1 headsets anymore. Get some A700s or A900s or Senns, Beyer etc. That way you can jam and have good bass.

Back