Bad memory or bad p5n-e?

coder_t2

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, so I have been running my p5n-e sli for over a month now with 2x1gb sticks of g skill RAM. Well since RAM is so cheap atm, i decided i want 4 gigs of ram. Adding another 2 sticks of this g skill RAM doesn't work on this motherboard. So I decided to by a pair 2x2gb OCZ RAM I saw on sale. Well it worked fine for a couple days but not freezes in windows. I tried reinstalling my old RAM and the computer runs fine with it. But with the OCZ ram, windows freezes after a couple minutes, and if I try to reboot i get a long beep, which tech support told me meant there is a voltage issue. They said it was either my mobo or PSU. But I don't understand why my old RAM works if there is a voltage issue, but the new stuff doesn't. Do you guys think the RAM is bad, or that the board is bad? Feel free to express any other opinions. Thanks.

What are the recommended voltages on the GSkill and the OCZ???

Chances are support meant to tell you the voltage needs to be adjusted in the bios.
Usually default is 1.8, alot of super-de-dooper RAM needs 2.1 or 2.2 volts.

Check out you recommended OCZ volts, if it needs more, boot with the GSkill and raise the voltage to make the OCZ happy.:D

I know you just flashed your BIOS so its probably a voltage problem with the OCZ. Another way is to go into BIOS and set the memory to auto voltage.

yea i already messed around with voltages. Both G skill and OCZ modules are rated between 1.8 - 2.0v. The gskill are great and run perfect at 1.92v and can hit 900MHz OCed. I jacked the voltage up to 2.08 for the OCZ with no improvement. I also lowered the timings to the recommended as well. Right now I am testing it with 1 module in. Maybe this board is just retarded and freaks out with 4gb of ram, no matter the modules, but lets first see if a single module of OCZ will be stable. Thanks btw. I might try really jacking up to volts, although I shouldn't have to.

yea i already messed around with voltages. Both G skill and OCZ modules are rated between 1.8 - 2.0v. The gskill are great and run perfect at 1.92v and can hit 900MHz OCed. I jacked the voltage up to 2.08 for the OCZ with no improvement. I also lowered the timings to the recommended as well. Right now I am testing it with 1 module in. Maybe this board is just retarded and freaks out with 4gb of ram, no matter the modules, but lets first see if a single module of OCZ will be stable. Thanks btw. I might try really jacking up to volts, although I shouldn't have to.

err pump the ram volts to a solid 2.1 or a 2.2volts.. my ram is rated at 1.8 but i only got stable ops pushing it to 2.2. also check the mem divider and that all is were it should be. with that amount of ram, nb will get nice and toasty, how hot does that get.. you could just be suffering from nb heat issues.

Chances are, you got one of the boards with the messed up memory slots. Try your previous 2gb of memory on the other two slots and see if it will not boot. It happened to me, and I had to use the black slots.

err pump the ram volts to a solid 2.1 or a 2.2volts.. my ram is rated at 1.8 but i only got stable ops pushing it to 2.2. also check the mem divider and that all is were it should be. with that amount of ram, nb will get nice and toasty, how hot does that get.. you could just be suffering from nb heat issues.

The mem divider is fine, it is automatically set with this board. But I checked CPU Z anyway and it is ok. 15:16 running 400MHz with a 375MHz FSB. Now you say nb heat issues, but I am unsure if the MB temp on pc probe monitors that. I called asus to ask them, but never got a straight answer. I have a chipset fan running on the nb anyway so I doubt it is that. But my MB temp idles at like 50C and hits 60 C on full load, so something is up there. I have good airflow, the only way for it to be that hot is if the sensor is below the video card or something. Only area with poor cooling because the video card sucks in all the air. I'll also try some of the other things that people said in the posts and give you an update later today. Thanks.

I have 4x 1GB sticks installed and have found that I have to set the memory to 667mhz or its unstable 800mhz will not be stable for whatever reason. Am using 604 bios.

Ok so I tried jacking the voltage up to 2.25v, did nothing. Put it in the black slot, nothing. Lowered the speed down to 667Mhz. Nothing. So I am kind of out of options it seems. I am calling OCZ tomorrow when they are open to see if this model of memory has compatibility issues with my mobo. Chances are they will say something stupid like we haven't tested it yet. Which would help me none.

Back