iPhone impressions

Serpico

[H]F Junkie
I bought mine yesterday on a whim. After experiencing the headaches of getting an XBox 360, Wii, and PS3 at launch I didn't want to go through the pain of getting an iPhone, plus I was thinking of waiting to hear more feedback before I made my move. In short, I was not planning on buying one yesterday.

The largest Apple store in Los Angeles happens to be next to the movie theater I went to yesterday afternoon. I was out at 7pm and saw that that they still had enough to go around despite the fact that there was a huge lineup of roughly a thousand people that started at around 4am. If it was going to be that easy I figured what the hell. It was fifteen minutes from when I got in line till I rang the register. Easy.

After using it for a day I can say that that this thing has exceeded my expectations despite all the stupid hype that had already built up towards launch. Lack of iChat aside (which I hope is added at some point) I honestly couldn't be happier with it. Every little thing is so streamlined compared to any other cell phone or smartphone out there. Even something stupid like setting up a voicemail greeting has been made so simple you wonder why it hasn't already been done this way before. Webpages render well and load quickly on Wifi. Youtube works great. It is obviously the best iPod out there. Email, fucking Google Maps, everything is awesome. The only thing that actually does suck is notes.

The keyboard is a non-issue, at least for me. It didn't take long at all for me to get used to it. After an hour I had no problems typing accurately with two thumbs.

So yeah, I wasn't even that interested in buying an iPhone in the first place but as of now I am 100% convinced. This might be the first technolust gadget where I have had absolutely zero buyers remorse a day later. Other cell phone manufacturers will hopefully step up their game after this.

tldr - Apple just pwned everyone in the cell phone market and they need to wake the hell up.

Also, this thing is very durable, something I was worried about even today: http://www.pcworld.com/video/id,545-page,1-bid,0/video.html

Scratch Test: When the iPhone emerged with its screen just as pristine as when it went in, we then attempted to gouge the screen with one of the keys. We were very impressed that even this deliberate attempt to scratch the screen completely failed.

Drop Test: The iPhone not only continue to work after each drop test, impressively it still looked good as well. The only obvious damage suffered was a few gouges along its metal edge from the concrete drops. But it came out without a scratch on its glass screen, despite our best efforts to mar it in repeated tests of both types.

I agree Serpcio. I bought mine yesterday, let it sit overnight while I thought if I should open it or try to ebay it. After sleeping on it, ripped it open in the morning...best choice I've made in a while.

I came from a Cingular 8125 which I absolutely loved for 6 months. I really didn't have any complaints about the 8125, just really liked the idea of having the iPod and phone in one device since I use both heavily at my desk at work all day.

After using it for a day, I'm now used to the virtual keyboard and pinching at the internet and pictures. The phone is very polished, the operating system is very intuitive and navigation feels natural. The phone is a great size and fits in my pocket nicely.

My only issues with it as of yet are:
- No music ringtones
- No custom text message/voicemail/alarm sounds
- Volume of text alerts and ring are pretty low even with volume maxed out

Really other than those issues, I love it. I'd give it an 8.5/10 with the hopes that the issues are fixed with software updates. If they could make this thing in a 15 or 30 GB application it would be hands down the single best device ever.

:D

Does it use a standard ipod cord? (Will i be able to plug it into my car stereo?)

yup you should be. The iphone uses the same ipod connector*ipod connector to usb* but im not really sure if it will work with the car stereo though should be... im not so clear on that so someone with an iphone will need to clear it up :D

Also picked one up yesterday at my local Apple store. Thought about buying one for a while and it got the best of me yesterday. Picked up the 8GB model and love it.

Does it use a standard ipod cord? (Will i be able to plug it into my car stereo?)

Yes; and when you get a call it will cancel the sync and the call will come through. Works fine with my '06 Scion tC's Pioneer headunit.

I agree. Those and the addition of ichat are hopefully going to be added in an update.

- No music ringtones

Really other than those issues, I love it. I'd give it an 8.5/10 with the hopes that the issues are fixed with software updates. If they could make this thing in a 15 or 30 GB application it would be hands down the single best device ever.

:D

Really? Outside of storage capacity on the hard drive based iPods (I hate moving parts in my portable electronics, btw), how are they better?

when you negate the biggest problem it makes an argument difficult.

Sounds like a great device. I really have no need for an iPod (don't use iTunes) and sounds like the web browser is only useful when using WiFi (EVDO on my VX6700 works pretty well, that's why I pay the $45/month).

Yes we all know the phone is slick, an iPod, great browser when using WiFi, Visual Voice mail, the keyboard seems cool, but what does it really DO that isn't on Windows Mobile phones? Yes, much more advanced interface, but slow broadband technology (EDGE VS. EVDO no contest), no voice dialing and no way to install your own apps correct?

If you already have phone such as Windows Mobile device, what does the iPhone really offer that you don't already have? That's my question!

- No music ringtones

I had some of the same complaints. But thosse issues seem easily fixable with just some firmware updates from Apple. They will probably realize this quickly and get it updated within a month. When they get iTunes to work with the ringer I'll be super happy so I can assign a song to someone instead of a silly ring.

Sigh... if only 8gb was enough for me. But, alas, it's not.

Nowhere near enough... Especially not if the OS steals 700mb of that :eek:

One day Apple, one day...

I love it - I m posting this message from my iphone while sitting in the shade under a tree

Some flaws - most of which will be fixed in updates.

The keyboard in landscape mode is great - but I wish they allowed other configs

Sigh... if only 8gb was enough for me. But, alas, it's not.

Nowhere near enough... Especially not if the OS steals 700mb of that :eek:

One day Apple, one day...

300MB of it :D

7.24 capacity available to the user. 8GB formatted - 300MB for OS = 7.24GB for pics/movies/music/etc..

Interestingly enough though; the restore image is only 93MB from Apple.com; that's some heavy compression there.

the cheering was nice eh?
i love this device
favorite device
best looking
best screen
best screen quality
and capabilities
so sleek
dont ever want to go back to non touch.

and yes it has bluetooth

check all in the settings

iPod optimized movies weigh in at what? 600MB - 1.5GB?

Seems workable, even for the 4GB model - couple of movies, 24 hours of music, a couple of photo albums...

Best ipod out
i dont use more than 500 mbs of songs
Best compressed, excellent quality movies can be at around 300 mbs
TV shows, 150 mbs.

I have 400 pictures on here uploaded

Bluetooth is just for headsets are car kits right now.

The internet browsing is just as fast as my 8125 was, but is a better browsing experience. Sites always were difficult to navigate with pocket opera and pocket ie.

Sounds like a great device. I really have no need for an iPod (don't use iTunes) and sounds like the web browser is only useful when using WiFi (EVDO on my VX6700 works pretty well, that's why I pay the $45/month).

Yes we all know the phone is slick, an iPod, great browser when using WiFi, Visual Voice mail, the keyboard seems cool, but what does it really DO that isn't on Windows Mobile phones? Yes, much more advanced interface, but slow broadband technology (EDGE VS. EVDO no contest), no voice dialing and no way to install your own apps correct?

If you already have phone such as Windows Mobile device, what does the iPhone really offer that you don't already have? That's my question!

coming from windows mobile devices and palm os devices, the difference is that the iphone interface is a joy to use and it's incredibly polished. The iphone has really taken the overall simplicity and intuitiveness of OS X and put it phone form. The only question is if that's worth $500-600 to you :p

Bought it (8gb) LOVE IT. The only MAJOR complaint that I have right now (besides the usual ringtone/volume level ones) is the headphone jack being recessed totally blows. I can't use my KSC-75's right now till i find an adapter. And as always the included apple earbuds are utter crap. But other than that complaint I absolutely love it and do not regret the purchase at all.

Which I purchased because I MUST use my ATH-A900's whenever I'm doing only iPod listening!

Where did you guys get the adapter from? All the Apple stores in my area don't have it and neither do the AT&T stores. And I really don't want to have to order it online since it says it will be 2-4 weeks for shipping.

Where did you guys get the adapter from? All the Apple stores in my area don't have it and neither do the AT&T stores. And I really don't want to have to order it online since it says it will be 2-4 weeks for shipping.

I got mine from belkin's website. So it's not like in my hand now, sorry if I mislead you.

iPod optimized movies weigh in at what? 600MB - 1.5GB?

Seems workable, even for the 4GB model - couple of movies, 24 hours of music, a couple of photo albums...

Is it honestly upwards of 600mb? Full DIVX screeners at a nice resolution weigh in at 1gb, I'd expect a movie formatted for such a small screen to be quite a bit smaller...

Since I'd probably load mine up with full seasons of stuff (prison break, Trailer park boys, the 1 or 2 animes I can actually stand to watch etc.) then I definitely need upwards of 40gb :eek:

wait for the 6th gen ipod but lose the phone and net capabilities

Is it honestly upwards of 600mb? Full DIVX screeners at a nice resolution weigh in at 1gb, I'd expect a movie formatted for such a small screen to be quite a bit smaller...

Since I'd probably load mine up with full seasons of stuff (prison break, Trailer park boys, the 1 or 2 animes I can actually stand to watch etc.) then I definitely need upwards of 40gb :eek:

you can generally massage the files down to reasonable sizes. i got my 200 meg venture brothers eps down to 40ish megs for my pda. however im not sure what formats the iphone will play.

you can generally massage the files down to reasonable sizes. i got my 200 meg venture brothers eps down to 40ish megs for my pda. however im not sure what formats the iphone will play.

Anything iTunes will play without the use of additional codecs.

Or Apple's answer is more specific at http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html said:
Video

* Video formats supported: H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 768 Kbps, 320 by 240 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

the manual lists them or use a converter like super/videora handbrake

all free

that isnt very much then, unfortunately.

That's what I've got all my video's/dvd's encoded as. Kinda got in the habit of doing it when I started hooking my MacBook up to the TV via VGA to watch movies with the remote and FrontRow.

300MB of it :D

7.24 capacity available to the user. 8GB formatted - 300MB for OS = 7.24GB for pics/movies/music/etc..

I don't understand where you're getting 300MB from. Let's make the number left over a nice round 7.25GB, that means there's 3/4GB taken up. If you round a GB to 1,000MB, then 3/4 of that is 750MB. I know I've done some rounding, but I don't see how the number used is anywhere near 300MB used (even though 700+MB seems huge for this device)

I hope you all like your iPhone and it's not a pos. Hopefully it will last for over 3 years. I rec. everyone get a extended damage warranty. Seems like it very easy to drop when you're drunk or whatever.

Back