E6700 Running way too hot. What should I do?

Hello, I've got an Asus P5N32 SLI SE Deluxe, and I recently downloaded their motherboard monitoring program, PC Probe II. Well, when I installed it and started it up, I noticed that my CPU (C2D E6700 w/ factory settings/ never OC'd or anything) was idling at a pretty high temp (55*-59*C). I read around, and from what I gathered, these CPU's shouldn't be getting hotter than 65*C, which is also the warning threshold that the PC Probe program is set to alert you at, if it's exceeded. Well, if I start a game up, almost instantly I get the warning that the threshold is being exceeded and the CPU is too hot. I've tried to find a way to boost the fan's speed, but no luck (unless I got an actual fan controller and wired it to the fan maybe). I also downloaded Core Temp and Intel's TAT monitoring program and those gave me high temps as well (screens posted below). The fan on the heat sink fan is working properly as well, so I don't know what's up. Also, I don't know what the optimal voltage is, but currently the Vcore switches from 1.26 and 1.28. I don't know if I should invest in a better CPU Cooler, like the zalman (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118020), but it seems like the one I got on there now should be doing fine. Well, let me know what you all think I should do to fix this. Let me know if you need any more info as well to help you determine what's up. Here's some screens:
cputemp.jpg

coretemp.jpg

TAT.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

Thanks again in advance for any help.

Try reseating your heatsink and re-appling some thermal paste.

I haven't taken it off yet, but I checked the four screws around the heat sink fan, and they are all tight, and the whole heat sink itself feels pretty solid. should I still remove it and check it out? Also, is the voltage that the CPU is getting normal?

The CPU voltage is fine. I really would just check the application of the thermal compound and make sure you seat the HSF correctly. Also, what thermal compound are you using? A lot of people use Arctic Silver 5 (myself included), and chances are that you are too... but I have to ask anyway. :p

What thermal compound did you use, how much did you use, how did you apply it and is the heat spreader on top of your processor flat? Also, what's your room temperature? For one of those reasons, your heatsink is not making good contact with your cpu. At the core voltage you're using, 70C is too hot. What brand of heatsink is that?

It won't hurt anything to run your cpu with a CoreTemp reported temperature of 75C but at default voltage that is usually a pretty good sign that something isn't right.

Run Orthos instead of TAT to load your processor like everyone else is using. Orthos is a more realistic stress test.

Well, I didn't do the initial building of the pc, as it's a custom rig from alienware, but I figured out the problem. It seems that the people that put the rigs together at alienware don't pay too much attention to what they are doing :D . I decided to take the Heat Sink Fan off and see what's up, and I found a nice little treat. It seems that when they put the heat sink on, they didn't bother to move the wire that goes from that to the motherboard out of the way, instead they just sandwiched the wire inbetween the cpu and the heat sink. So, there has been no contact between them this whole time, which is awesome. All of the thermal compound was still on the heat sink as well, none on the cpu. But, to make a long story short, I put it all back together the right way, and now I'm idling at ~35*C, so I'm glad about that. I just hope the CPU wasn't harmed at all by being run max temp this whole time up until now. Thanks again for all of your help everyone. Here's some pics to show you what I found:

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

So where did you say you bought your computer from? Was that IdiotWare? :rolleyes:

I've never seen such stupidity. It was pretty obvious that something was wrong.

An E6700 is rated to be running within the Intel spec up to and including a core temperature of 85C so you don't have to worry that you hurt it.

Putting the heatsink on is about the hardest thing when building a new computer so if you can handle that the rest is easy. Next time build your own computer and at least you'll know you did it right and you'll also save a pile of money compared to some of the grossly overpriced vendors. No wonder the damn thing felt snug!

:mad: Holy sxxt..the guy who custom build it for alienware is a big fxxcking idiot...yes I feel the anger for you...if this is the case that happened to me, I'll for sure take this mess up to their customer service department and file the complaint to whom ever installed it.

That wire whatever it is looks like it's half melted...:rolleyes: :eek:
Good job fixing the prob that should not have you wasted your time fixing it.

35 degree idle looks about right with an aftermarket HS...assume that your ambient temp is around 24c + summer time:cool:

I've an E6700, VID voltage = 1.25v (stock voltage) Idles in the high 20s and low 30s during summer time.

I would so send an E-mail to whoever you can over at alien ware with those pics. That is just priceless. In fact, put it up on the digg site for maximum exposure. I'll get hundreds of people to digg it so it will end up on the diggnation podcast. That is to good to pass up on =).

Haha, yeah it's pretty sweet having to rebuild the computer to fix their mistakes. I would def. build it on my own next time around. But hey, I'm just glad it's fixed now, but I just sent them an e-mail, so we'll have to see what happens with that. As for the digg site, DarkLegacy, I'm not sure how to post stuff on there really. I didn't look real deep, but I didn't see anything really.

WOW..Just WOW....
So much for testing your system before they shipped it......
I mean mistakes happen, but that never should have gotten out the door that way.

I don't see any way possible that your IHS is flat after having those wires sandwiched between a HSF and the CPU ....I would ask for a new CPU at minimum

If I recall, Alienware benches all their units and "burns them especially in" before they are sent out. I'd really love to see the spec sheets they sent you on your rig.......

Man, that picture is priceless. Email that picture to CS and to the president of the company. You'd bet Randy Copeland at Velocity would shit a brick if he saw one of his units sent out looking like that.

See if you can dig up those spec sheets.

Great post. What a bunch of dumdasses.

What video card(s) do you have......and why is that little wire coming out of nowhere?????Is that a slot cooler????? Odd set-up, IMO.

Dude don't take this the wrong way but i think if you're paying for an alienware and shit like this happens I'd ask the company for some major ass compensation. Also, that wire looks f*cked up and might have been badly damaged ( i wudn't be surprised if that cpu fan failed altogether any time soon. )

Personally i'd ask them for a free warranty or a replacement with some beefed up spec for the same price. Maybe an SLI on the replacement system. Hell maybe a discount on that system too.

In the end it depends on you but i'm the sort of guy who wants his moneys worth (even if its not always entirely possible.) :rolleyes:

Dude don't take this the wrong way but i think if you're paying for an alienware and shit like this happens I'd ask the company for some major ass compensation. Also, that wire looks f*cked up and might have been badly damaged ( i wudn't be surprised if that cpu fan failed altogether any time soon. )

Personally i'd ask them for a free warranty or a replacement with some beefed up spec for the same price. Maybe an SLI on the replacement system. Hell maybe a discount on that system too.

In the end it depends on you but i'm the sort of guy who wants his moneys worth (even if its not always entirely possible.) :rolleyes:

Agreed,and here here ! OP,get on em,and ask them to 'take care of you'. ;)

What video card(s) do you have......and why is that little wire coming out of nowhere?????Is that a slot cooler????? Odd set-up, IMO.

It's an evga GeForce 7950 GX2, and the wire is going to the slot cooler, I need to get an extension wire for it, but I'm prob. just going to take it out anyways since it didn't lower the temps at all for me.

Also, I sent them an e-mail earlier today with the pictures attached, so we'll see how that turns out whenever they get back to me. In my next reply should I give them the digg.com link?? :)

It's an evga GeForce 7950 GX2, and the wire is going to the slot cooler, I need to get an extension wire for it, but I'm prob. just going to take it out anyways since it didn't lower the temps at all for me.

Also, I sent them an e-mail earlier today with the pictures attached, so we'll see how that turns out whenever they get back to me. In my next reply should I give them the digg.com link?? :)

Just make sure you digg it. :p

Update:
Well, I just got a reply from alienware in my e-mail, and I can't really say much bad about it, as they seem to be pretty understand and apologized, etc. They offered to have an onsite technician come and replace the heat sink fan with a new one of the same thing, and a 1GB Alienware Flash Drive. But I sent an e-mail back asking if there was something else they could do for me instead of sending the onsite technician since the heat sink doesn't seem to be harmed in any way besided the wires being a little smushed, and it still works fine as of now. Not to mention I don't want some guy coming and messing with my computer, since I've heard some bad horror stories about the onsite technicians they send. So we'll see how that goes I guess.

Wow a flash drive!!!! Assholes.

I'd tell you a long story, but bottom line is Alienware is the reason why I build my own computers now. I guess in the long run its been a blessing.

I have no love for that company, not one little bit.

I'd ride them until I got a new processor and heat sink......they cannot prove to you that their mistake didn't shorten the lifespan of your computer. Make sure you document all of this stuff in case something happens. They essentially voided your warranty, if they dont make good on the new stuff, you should get a two year warranty extension.

Personally I would be a PITA and ask for the wires to be replaced, a new heatsink and a new processor.

Imagine this :

Suppose if you had done this to your comp. and called alienware up saying that you f*cked up the HS wire and shit. Say that you were thinking that you knew better and all. Then the customer service reps would tell you that your warranty has been voided and that you'd need to pay an X amount for the HS and CPU failure if it does occur in the future and then it does fail. Now how much would you be looking at in damages (a new CPU a HS possibly a new mobo if the pins got shot , charred whatever and took out any other components ).

My point : tell the a**holes over at alienwhores that if it was your fault would they have repaired everything if you purchased a flash drive from them and you personally came and picked it up from them?

Haha, yeah, I hear you. Well, after the last e-mail, they sent me back another one saying something about how suddenly they don't offer the "compensation program" at this time, and that they are making an exception for me, so it's the flash drive and replacement heat sink fan, or nothing. I'm still waiting to hear back from them again, though. We'll see how the next one goes I guess.

Haha, yeah, I hear you. Well, after the last e-mail, they sent me back another one saying something about how suddenly they don't offer the "compensation program" at this time, and that they are making an exception for me, so it's the flash drive and replacement heat sink fan, or nothing. I'm still waiting to hear back from them again, though. We'll see how the next one goes I guess.

Send it back for a full refund.........
Screw them...... overpriced shit and now they wont stand behind it?

Sad for a "custom build". Shows that your setup was not tested other than maybe fire it up to see if it posts into Windows.

Send a email to Kyle. I bet he'd post that picture on the front page.:eek:

At the very least I would not let them sleep until they send you a new boxed processor. You have no Idea how much life that processor may have lost due to their error.

If they do not comply tell them your next e-mail is going to the better business bureau, and posting on any rating site available(C-Net, etc.) I'd let them know that you've already got pics up on this site, and that any rectification will also be reported, allowing them to at least try to regain some respect.

Back