Problem with panel alignment with Dell 2407WFP-HC

gray

n00b
Just received my Dell 2407WFP-HC. Hooking up via DVI-D.

There looks to be some issue with the alignment of the panel reference the bezel/frame. Would best try to describe the issue below.

On the right side of the unit, the gap (black unlit portion) between the area of the panel that is lite and the bezel is not of uniform thickness. The gap is smaller at the bottom of the panel but as you moved up the panel, the gap widens slightly. On the left side its the reverse, the gap is wider at the bottom as compared to the top.

Essentially, it feels liek the display is slightly tilted. Not by much, but definitely a little disconcerting particular when I look at the top right of the screen.

Is this normal? Or should I get a replacement.

I dont think this should be happening but slight tolerance issues are common in display products. I would consider asking for repair/replacement. Are you happy with the rest of the performance? I have one on order and will post back when it arrives.

Check to see that the bezel is truly a rectangle (square corners) and not a trapezoid. Do this by measuring the two diagonals. If they are exactly the same length then the bezel is square. Otherwise its a trapezoid and you need a new bezel (factory refurb). If the bezel is square then the panel isnt set into the bezel correctly and you should also have alignment issues at the top and bottem edges of the screen. Then decide.

Mac

I dont think this should be happening but slight tolerance issues are common in display products. I would consider asking for repair/replacement. Are you happy with the rest of the performance? I have one on order and will post back when it arrives.

Check to see that the bezel is truly a rectangle (square corners) and not a trapezoid. Do this by measuring the two diagonals. If they are exactly the same length then the bezel is square. Otherwise its a trapezoid and you need a new bezel (factory refurb). If the bezel is square then the panel isnt set into the bezel correctly and you should also have alignment issues at the top and bottem edges of the screen. Then decide.

Mac

Hi Machineguy59, I took a closer look today, and think you're right, likely the panel isn't set into the bezel correctly. As on the left of the screen, the black unlit potion becomes wider the further down the screen I go, the reverse of what is on the right.

I took some pictures of the right, they are not the best but hopefully makes it easier to understand what I am talking about.

Shot with K800i at 2007-07-06

Shot with K800i at 2007-07-06

Odd, I got a brand-new non-HC 2407WFP yesterday and the bezel wasn't pushed in along the top edge of the monitor.. I snapped it in and now it's fine :confused:

It is !!! Particularly when I look at the right.

Dell is sending me a new unit. But another user reported the same problem. Hope its not a batch issue.

Received a new replacement unit today. Sad to report that the alignment problem also exists for the new unit, looks to be bad build quality at least for this batch of the HCs.

Have escalated back to Dell. If this is indeed a batch problem, not sure really what I can do.

My panel came today and I am still evaluating it. But I can report that the panel is square with the bezel. No alighment problems at all. Also, it looks like no dead or stuck pixels. I am pretty happy right now. Will perform more thorough examination later and report back in another thread but for now, the bezel is square with the glass.

I too would find it very annoying if the bezel were not square. You have a quality control problem. Send it back till they get it right.

Mac

My panel came today and I am still evaluating it. But I can report that the panel is square with the bezel. No alighment problems at all. Also, it looks like no dead or stuck pixels. I am pretty happy right now. Will perform more thorough examination later and report back in another thread but for now, the bezel is square with the glass.

I too would find it very annoying if the bezel were not square. You have a quality control problem. Send it back till they get it right.

Mac

Happy to hear that yours is alright.

I spoke with Dell again. Apparently Tech Support looked at another unit which had the same alignment problem. Looks like it really is a batch issue. Can I ask whether yours is made in China? Mine is, and is Rev 00.

Also, Dell said that sending me another one is unlikely going to help since they do think the rest they have would be the same. What are my options then? Tell them I would continue using this unit now and as soon as a new batch comes in, in however number weeks time they send me a new replacement?

My panel was manufactured in Mexico. It was delivered yesterday, Monday July 9. I did purchase the extra three years warranty because it included returns. Maybe that means they were extra careful.

I would keep after them to get one right. The techs answer that "the next one will be just as bad" is unacceptable and would receive my reply "guess you or I need to clean up Dells supply, send me a few and I will sort them to see if any are worth keeping".

I have begun to notice the colors are intense. That will probably be corrected by calibration (next week). But it isnt objectionable in most cases. I am happy so far.

Mac

My panel was manufactured in Mexico. It was delivered yesterday, Monday July 9. I did purchase the extra three years warranty because it included returns. Maybe that means they were extra careful.

I would keep after them to get one right. The techs answer that "the next one will be just as bad" is unacceptable and would receive my reply "guess you or I need to clean up Dells supply, send me a few and I will sort them to see if any are worth keeping".

I have begun to notice the colors are intense. That will probably be corrected by calibration (next week). But it isnt objectionable in most cases. I am happy so far.

Mac

Thanks for the prompt reply and the advice. Mine had 5 years complete cover on it and see where that landed me !!

hmmm... a bit of topic but doesn't this problem sound like if dell is using a panel from a different manefacturer? They shouldn't have this problem if the panels still had the same frame size...

Dell is now telling me that the panel not being square to the bezel is a common problem in all Benq made Dells and that Benq is refusing to replace them. Also claim that this problem is more obvious only on the 24 inches. This is a load of crap since I have seen the non-HC model at the local Dell kiosk which looks fine.

They are saying that even if they send me a new one the problem will highly likely be present and have offerred me a refund to return the unit but wants to charge a restocking fee. I said no and said I would be more to happy to help them do some quality assurance checks if they sent me another one. They are no seeking management approval.

Its driving me nuts that I have to waste my time trying to resolve this. Appreciate greatly if other users with made in China HCs can confirm whether is the alignment ok on yours? Thanks in advance.

Did I read your post as saying the 2407wfp-hc is made by BenQ??? Would this give us some insight as to whether this thing has an A-MVA/P-MVA panel as opposed to a Samsung S-PVA? Why would BenQ got get an s-pva from samsung to make this for Dell when they have access to the MVA panels in their 241W,WZ,VW monitors?:confused: Just food for thought!

Dell is now telling me that the panel not being square to the bezel is a common problem in all Benq made Dells and that Benq is refusing to replace them. Also claim that this problem is more obvious only on the 24 inches. This is a load of crap since I have seen the non-HC model at the local Dell kiosk which looks fine.

They are saying that even if they send me a new one the problem will highly likely be present and have offerred me a refund to return the unit but wants to charge a restocking fee. I said no and said I would be more to happy to help them do some quality assurance checks if they sent me another one. They are no seeking management approval.

Its driving me nuts that I have to waste my time trying to resolve this. Appreciate greatly if other users with made in China HCs can confirm whether is the alignment ok on yours? Thanks in advance.

The Dell tech guy is nuts. Dells problem with Benq (or any other vendor) is just that, their problem. Your problem with Dell is between you and Dell. Tell the tech guy that if Dell needs additional tech help they can hire it. In the meantime, you want a panel that is right.

But lets say that the tech guys answer is right, Benq panels are all slightly skewed (I dont really believe this). Then Dell needs to provide adjustment in their bezel design. It still aint the end customers problem and he (you) certainly doesnt have the power to fix it. It sounds to me like the tech support has decided this isnt an important issue and are trying to stonewall repairs. Its up to you how hard you are willing to fight for it. It would kinda bug me. On the other hand I have owned a tv for 12 years that has a skewed picture screen and I know how to correct it.

Mac

Mine is made in China and has no bezel issues.
Backlighting however is a completely different matter. You might find you end up with a good frame and crook backlight.lol

I just got my 2407WFP-HC, and it was Made in Mexico also.

Although it is technically a bit off from being squared, I'd hardly say it's much to get upset about.

It's almost straight. Literally just 5% of a centimeter off.

I don't know, I'd rather keep it then to risk getting one with even worse alignment, or one with a dead pixel(s).

Back