Logitech G5 vs MX518

WhiteZero

2[H]4U
I'm sure this has been discussed a million times before, but sadly we dont have Search right now. :p

Anyway, I'm in the market for another gaming-ish mouse. I had a Razer Deathadder for a few months, but didnt really like it. Mostly just it's design. I'm comforatable and happy with my old, basic Microsoft Optical Wheel mouse, but I'd like to keep trying these nicer high-end mice.
So looking on NewEgg, the 2 most popular mice are the G5 and the MX518, both with crazy good reviews. (The MX has a only 10 more reviews than the G5, so their DAMN close).

Anyway, from what I can tell, the main differences are:
G5 has weights you can insert, MX does not.
G5 is lazer with 2000dpi, MX is optical with 1600dpi
MX has more buttons.

Other than that, they both seem to be the same general shape and both have On-the-fly sensitivity buttons.

The MX is a bit cheaper and a little more popular it seems. Although the MX seems to have less bad reviews.
MX's Review Totals:
Excellent - 993 reviews - 88%
Good - 97 reviews - 9%
Average - 26 reviews - 2%
Poor - 16 reviews - 1%
Very poor - 4 reviews - 0%

G5 Review Totals:
Excellent - 815 reviews - 73%
Good - 193 reviews - 17%
Average - 60 reviews - 5%
Poor - 32 reviews - 3%
Very poor - 21 reviews - 2%

The numbers and price seem to add up to the MX being a win.
And the G5 has features I dont think I'd make much use of, especially the optional weights. And my DeathAdder had 2k DPI as well, and I didnt notice much of a difference between 1600 and 2000 switching between them, except for the speed of the cursor, but obviously that can be altered through Windows anyway.

So whats everyone's opinion on this?

I think its your choice and your opinion on what you like. what i would do is go to a local bestuby, microcenter, frys etc and hold each mouse and see which one feels better to you. i like my g7 which has the same shape as the g5. ive never used the mx518 but ive heard its a very good mouse as well. it just depends on what you like.

More buttons = win. Love my MX518 ... only thing I wish I could do with it is set a key to Minimize All Windows, which I think I had on my MX510, and maybe another button on the pinkie-side of the mouse. Otherwise it's just about perfect -- the shape, the clickiness of the scroll wheel, button placement ... I love this mouse.

More buttons = win. Love my MX518 ... only thing I wish I could do with it is set a key to Minimize All Windows, which I think I had on my MX510, and maybe another button on the pinkie-side of the mouse. Otherwise it's just about perfect -- the shape, the clickiness of the scroll wheel, button placement ... I love this mouse.

Yeah, thats one common Con I saw for the G5, the scroll wheel click is realllly stiff.

Been using the 518 since it came out and I couldn't be happier. My favorite thing about this mouse is I don't have to install any software for it to work perfectly.

518. More buttons, good scroll wheel. I honestly cant tell the difference between a 1600dpi mouse and 2000dpi mouse anyway.

The only real advantage the G5 has over the 518 is the mouse feet, and in the opinions of some, the smoothness and slickness offered by the feet makes up for the shitty quality of the tilt wheel, the greasy side material, the stiff and annoying tether of a mouse cord, and the quirkiness of the laser when you really snap the mouse quickly. Few people seem to realize just how good those mouse feet are when compared to other choices for lateral mouse movement.

Thats one thing that annoys me to no end, bad sides.

The sides on both mice look the same. Can anyone comment on how the sides of their MX518 feels?

Feels like good quality plastic ... just ever-so-slightly textured and ever-so-slightly softer then the hard plastic on some Microsoft mice I've used. Feels great, imo.

Wasn't there a review awhile back that showed that optical mice had superior tracking at high speeds compared to laser mice?

The only thing I don't like about the 518 is the Logitech logo in the palm region. It starts to wear off and look like crap after a few months.

Wasn't there a review awhile back that showed that optical mice had superior tracking at high speeds compared to laser mice?

The only thing I don't like about the 518 is the Logitech logo in the palm region. It starts to wear off and look like crap after a few months.

Must be your grip on the mouse. I've had my 518 since the 518s came out, and the logo is still there. I usually use my mouse with my hand just a little bit above it with only my fingers touching it though.

Thats one thing that annoys me to no end, bad sides.

The sides on both mice look the same. Can anyone comment on how the sides of their MX518 feels?

The material on the 518 isn't the same textured crap as on the G5. It's more rubbery and sticky.

I've gone ahead and purchased the MX518. :D
Overnight shippin, so hope fully I'll have it Tues.

Also I bought these.

Good for you... I have a G5 and my roommate has an MX518... they're both good, you would have been fine with either one, but you certainly won't be disappointed in it. Gaming mice are so underrated.

i had a razer diamondback until couple days ago. The cord became faulty somehow ( i think i pulled it back to free up some slack from under my desk and messed up the connection to the chip inside) so anyway it kept turning on and off randomly. I ended up buying a g5 at bestbuy. I wanted a g7 or another razer but neither they or circuit city had any and i didnt want to wait for a shipment from newegg. I really like it so far. The texture really surprised me in a good way, ive never seen one irl before and the cloth like feel of it is really nice compared to the shitty hard plastic intellimouse i had to use since the razer broke. As long as it doesnt absorb sweat and start to stink it will be awesome for summer gaming when its like 100 degrees here.

Back