Project X-343B-WC (LL Cube) Completed [WARNING: Lots of Pics! 56K Beware]

mjassbong

Weaksauce
Finally, after about 5 months long, I introduce to you my new build X-343B-WC. "343B" is for the Lian Li cube case. What started out as a simple 2 loops upgrade from my previous Opteron 170 system led to an all-out extreme watercooling system. Some of you have already seen a few sneak peek pics but here's more for your viewing pleasure. Critiques and feedbacks are welcome, infact encouraged. Thx!

SYSTEM SPECS
Main Components

Mobo: Asus Striker Extreme
CPU: Q6600
GPU: eVGA 8800GTX SLI
RAM: 4GB OCZ FlexXLC PC2-9200

Audio
SoundBlaster Fatal1ty

Storage
LSI Logic Dual Channel Ultra-320 PCI-Express SCSI Controller
580GB 147GB x 4 RAID 0 Fujitsu Ultra-320 15K RPM
750GB Seagate SATA-II NL35
500GB WDC USB
Plextor PX-755SA w/Lian Li SATA USB External Enclosure

Display
Dell 307WFP-HC
Spyder 2 Pro

Peripherals
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Logitech G7 Wireless Mouse

Watercooling
CPU: Swiftech GTX
GPU: EK 8800GTX FC x 2
Mobo: EK Asus NB/SB/Mosfetts Set
Pump: MCP655 x 1, MCP355 x 2
Rad: PA120.3 x 2, PA120.2 x 1
Res: Swiftech MC-Res x 3
Fitting: Koolance Compression
Tubing: Tygon 1/2", 3/8", 1/4"
Fan: Yates (Lots of It)

OS
Vista Ultimate x64

Main Use of System
Photos and Videos editing and Gaming

EFD1_IMG_1493.jpg

LOOPS
Red: Res > MCP655 > PA120.3 > CPU > Res (All 1/2")
Alien Green: Res > MCP355 > PA120.3 > GPU2 > GPU1 > Res (All 1/2")
Blue: Res > MCP355 > 1/2" Y ..... F > PA120.2 > Res
Y1: > 1/2" to 1/4" > RAM1 > RAM2 > RAM3 > RAM4 > 1/4"-1/2" F
Y2: > SB > NB > MOS1 > MOS2 > 1/4"-1/2" F

IN THE BEGINNING

BEG1_IMG_0043.jpg

BEG2_IMG_0052.jpg

Skeletal view of 343B. I installed Akasa noise dampening material throughout the case then sleeved the cables.

BEG3_IMG_0045.jpg

Here's how 2 D5s can be mounted to the mobo side panel. These pumps were installed here for the originally intended dual loops. One D5 was removed as you will later see.

BEG4_IMG_0049.jpg

Bay module and top plate prepped for PA120.3,

BEG6_IMG_0054.jpg

PA120.3 ready to be mounted

BEG5_IMG_0055.jpg

Where a PA120.3 will live. Those fans are low speed yates with blue led. As you can imagine, am setting up a push-pull.

BEG7_IMG_0170.jpg

The Striker with EK's blocks installed. I can't praise enough about the look and quality of EK's work.

BEG8_IMG_0183.jpg

Another one of EK's beautiful work of art. The only thing that bothered me is the difference in colors of the G80s PCB. But I didn't lose any sleep over it.

That's all the pics I have for the prep work.

I PRESENT YOU X-343B-WC

EXTERNAL VIEWS

OV1_IMG_1445.jpg

Bay cover is Lian Li PC-343B 3 X 5.25" Fan Module with Mesh Front and Filter.

OV2_IMG_1447.jpg

Side view. One day I will cut this side panel to put window just like the other side.

OV3_IMG_1452.jpg

Back side. Medium speed Yates + PSU fan for exhaust.

OV4_IMG_1451.jpg

A window with quite a breathtaking view :D

OV5_IMG_1448.jpg

Another side shot. I love this case!

OTHER EXTERNAL VIEWS
TOP_IMG_1440.jpg

Top view. The original top panel was cut to perfectly match a PA120.2. I also bought the 343B top rad mount and clear top and ended up not using them. I plan to cut the clear top to match PA120.2 for better inside case view from the top.

OP_POWER_CONNECT_IMG_1443.jpg

Installed quick connect/disconnect of power button whenever the front panel is removed. I had to make the hole bigger to fit the molex, and I drank too much coffee that day. LOL!

TOP_RAD1_IMG_1408.jpg

Here you can see how 2 PA120.3s can be installed in LL 343B. If you choose to keep the top bay panel, it must be cut just like I've done. Otherwise, just remove and toss or set it aside. From this shot you can also see how one of the reservoirs is mounted with bracket that came with MC-Res.

TOP_RAD_MOUNT1_IMG_1411.jpg

Another shot showing how the reservoir is mounted.

TOP_RAD_MOUNT2_IMG_1412.jpg

How the other 2 reservoirs are mounted. The red is screwed on to the green. The green is screwed on to the back side of the case. A perfect fit and location for this set up.

X-343B-WC IN DETAIL
S1D1_IMG_1428.jpg

For 3 loops, the tubings don't look too busy because not all tubes are 1/2", and the 1/2" used is 5/8" OD, not 3/4". Only 5/8" OD will work with the 1/2" ID compression fitting. Coolsleeves had to be used in some area. I chose to install coolsleeve in almost all tubes just for the uniform look.

OP_FRONT_ANGLE_IMG_1439.jpg

Those 3 white fans on the PA120.3 are Nexus, for pulling air. 12" UV is installed on each side.

S1D2_IMG_1431.jpg

Close up bottom view. SB with 1/2" inlet and 3/8" outlet. PCI-E w/battery pack (white) and Fatal1ty between the GPUs.

S1D3_IMG_1432.jpg

Mid shot of CPU, RAM and MOS. Some of you probably have already screamed, "OMG there are 90 angles and too many of them!" Well all of the angles except one are on the insignificant loop.

S1D4_IMG_1436.jpg

A close up of the CPU. Note the MOS and RAM merging into the F-Fitting.

S1D5_IMG_1434.jpg

Close up of FlexXLC. The Asus Striker was quite a pain when it comes to 4 sticks of RAM. I had to go through 4 sets to finally find 4 sticks that work together in the Striker. Even so, the highest speed is 1066Mhz at 5-5-5-18, XLC 9200 rated timings.

S1D6_IMG_1433.jpg

Top view of PA120.2 and reservoirs.

S1D8_IMG_1437.jpg

MCP355 for GPUs.

S1D9_IMG_1438.jpg

MCP355 for NB/SB/RAM/MOS. These pumps are exceptionally quite once all the air in the loop is bleeded. These DDCs came with RPM cable that can be connected to the mobo fan header and then can be monitored in Windows using monitoring tools. I am using Everest.

THE BACK SIDE
S2D1_IMG_1418.jpg

A little crowded but there's still plenty of access space.

S2D3_IMG_1406.jpg

4 x 15K RPM SCSIs + 1 SATA = HOT HOT HOT! Fortunately the rad fans are blowing at them. The drives are mounted by UFO HD mounting brackets. Yes, UFO :D
They are mounted to the rad fans and worked out quite well for this set up. Note the MCP655 is vertically mounted to back side of the mobo panel.

S2D4_IMG_1407.jpg

Just another close up shot.

S2D5_IMG_1413.jpg

The Ultra X3. Originally I had the PCP&C 1kW but that was so damn huge and long (insert dirty joke here). The X3 is a much smaller and shorter profile and incredibly beautiful, with black automotive finish, thin and very flexible modular cables and 1000 watts to boot. Oh, and it is also very quiet.

THE LIGHT SHOWS
Ok. Time for some cool light shows. But first I want to show you my 30 inches. No, not that. My Dell monitor. LOL!!!
307WFP1_IMG_1455.jpg

Monitor may appear smaller in pic than in real life, but the 30" is huge.

307WFP2_IMG_1470.jpg

At 2560x1600, there's plenty of real estate. After calibration, the color is even more vibrant. Note the idle temps at the top right corner. The first 4 is the CPU core. The last bottom two is the GPU. How about that? It rhymes.

IDLE_TEMP_IMG_1482.jpg

Close up of the idle temps. CPU and GPUs are not yet overclocked. So far am quite satisfy with the GPU temps. The CPU could be better eventho Q6600 runs really hot. What I should have done is bowed the GTX.

SYSTEMD_IMG_1475.jpg

All together now. The system is still on the workbench in the garage. She will be moved to a nice cool room.

THE REAL LIGHT SHOW
EFNM3_IMG_1462.jpg

Did I mentioned that I love this case?

EFN2_IMG_1476.jpg

EFD2_IMG_1491.jpg

The green light effect on the EK acrylic top is alot greener in real life than in this photo and it looks stunning. This is accomplished by attaching green laser LED (3 LEDs) on top of EK's FC aluminum part.

EFD2_IMG_1506.jpg

EFD3_IMG_1502.jpg

The blue is a combination of Pentosin G11 and blue UV dye. It glows quite nicely. The CPU loop was intended to be UV orange but I found it almost impossible to obtain fluid that is even orange, let alone glows. Most of the orange UV dyes I've tried are either just light shade of red or green when exposed under UV light. Fire red was my next option but still doesn't glow as bright. Alien green is the brightest. You can't go wrong with either UV blue or alien green if you're looking for nice glows in your loop.

EFD4_IMG_1498.jpg

With 2 x 6" UV light sticks attached to the back of MC-Res. Niice!!!

EFD5_IMG_1496.jpg

No UV attached directly. MC-Res still glows very bright.

BACK2IMG_1399.jpg
EFNM5_IMG_1486.jpg

Asus Striker EL back lighting, Off/On.

LETS DO IT WITH LIGHTS OFF
SYSTEMN_IMG_1489.jpg

EFN1_IMG_1512.jpg

EFN4_IMG_1360.jpg

EFN5_IMG_1509.jpg

EFN6_IMG_1510.jpg

The green is so bright, it is yellow :D
EFN7_IMG_1511.jpg

EFNM4_IMG_1485.jpg

EFNM2_IMG_1461.jpg

Bulgin Vandal Power Switch - White
EFNM1_IMG_1379.jpg

Striker Power/Reset/Clr CMOS lighting and a nice bokeh (background/foreground blur) from a Canon 2.8 lens.

FINALLY, THE KEY TO RULE THEM ALL
Lighting_Key_FOB_IMG_1384.jpg

All lighting effects, except the power switch, are wired so it can be turned ON or OFF remotely with this key FOB.

Well there you have it. I hope you enjoyed viewing my rig as much as I enjoyed setting it up. Overclocking here I come.

I M P R E S S I V E

*claps*

How much does the box weigh? Can you snap a picture of the LEDs on the GPU blocks? I'm very interested by that look.

:eek: Holy CRAP that's spectacular. I can't believe you managed to stuff that much premium hardware into one case, and it looks magnificent. Those temps seem a little on the high side though, for the amount of watercooling you're using. Is it supposed to be that hot?

I M P R E S S I V E

*claps*

How much does the box weigh? Can you snap a picture of the LEDs on the GPU blocks? I'm very interested by that look.

I don't have the actual weight but it felt like 75-85 lbs when I carried it. I don't have pic of the GPU block with the LED installed and should have taken some. I'll do something in photoshop to show how it is mounted if I can't take a good snap shot of it.

:eek: Man, once I get rich and famous I need to hire you to build me a rig like that. I love this thing, dunno why but it's the awesomest (not a word but oh well) looking computer in the gallery, imho.

I'd recommend getting some single slot I/O brackets for your video cards. I don't like the look of the dual slot brackets when water blocks are used.

You can buy them from Danger Den's website for $7.00. That's what I did and now my 8800GTX's look exactly like the factory water cooled cards do.

Amazing build, I'm not a fan cubes or multi-loops but I have to admit this build caught my attention.

I like the noise dampening material and design as well, very nice.

Impressive....most impressive. I picked the right time to take a look in the Case Mod Gallery!!!

I'm lovin' that case. You'd be hard pressed to fit all of that into most other cases! :eek:

I love it. Great job.

A technical question, it looks like you used THIS for your remote control for power? How do you actually hook it up to the power supply to make it work?

:eek: Man, once I get rich and famous I need to hire you to build me a rig like that. I love this thing, dunno why but it's the awesomest (not a word but oh well) looking computer in the gallery, imho.

LOL! You don't have to be famous for me to set one up for you. Just be RICH :D

I'd recommend getting some single slot I/O brackets for your video cards. I don't like the look of the dual slot brackets when water blocks are used.

You can buy them from Danger Den's website for $7.00. That's what I did and now my 8800GTX's look exactly like the factory water cooled cards do.

I did get 2 of the single slot bracket from DD but didn't install because I felt it would not be sturdy enough I was wrong. At my next coolant change, I will do that. Plus I need to free one of the slots for more USB ports. With this build, am using up all the USB ports.

I love it. Great job.

A technical question, it looks like you used THIS for your remote control for power? How do you actually hook it up to the power supply to make it work?

Yes, that's the one. Along with that, use this to connect all of your lightings to it.
http://www.xoxide.com/sunbeam-minibaybus.html

Supply 12v from your PSU to the remote. 12v OUT from the remote will go to the power block. That's it.

That is unbelievable. That machine looks capable of Ludicrous Speed. Dear God I waaaant it.

I do have a couple questions though -- given the extensive WC on the mobo, is there any reason why the PSU and hard drives are air cooled? Also, is there a cooling benefit to three loops, beyond the obvious of less heat sources in a particular loop?

If it was easy it wouldn't be [H]ard :D

LOL! You took the words right out of my mouth. That modded lian li 343 case was released by Performance-PCS after I completed mine. At any rate, it's $700 for the exact same case with just a different top panel and an underperformed radiator. I will stick to this set up with Thermochill rads any day.

That is unbelievable. That machine looks capable of Ludicrous Speed. Dear God I waaaant it.

I do have a couple questions though -- given the extensive WC on the mobo, is there any reason why the PSU and hard drives are air cooled? Also, is there a cooling benefit to three loops, beyond the obvious of less heat sources in a particular loop?

Now that would be extremely [H]ard core, to watercool the psu and HDs as well. It's all possible tho but I would need a bigger case to add another loop. I never intended to watercool the psu and HDs in the first place anyway.

You're right. The only benefit to having 3 loops in this setup is less heat source in each loop. The Q6600 is notorious for running really hot. The G80 GTX is like a furnace alone, and this is in SLI. So they deserve to be in a separate loop with a triple rad on each. Now the Chipsets, Mos and RAMs are not really siginificant to watercool. That's why they're all in another loop with just a double rad.

wow..... awesome build, i have to say that is one great build. You did a awesome job with the water cooling and setup. :D :D

Back