R0achTheWarHero

Limp Gawd
the pros
-------------------
- fast pixel response
- there aren't any more

cons
------
- The monitor ships with something like 2.4 gamma, it is insanely dark, the H forum looks like a giant black turd. Even after changing the gamma up to around 2.0 it really doesn't help anything look better.

- Mouse moves around on screen like im trucking along with 30-45ms input lag which is ridiculous for a TN panel, I read something on specs about "3d deinterlacing" or something weird, they probably buffer a frame or 2 for some kind of post processing.

- Horrible black level

- Loud Buzzing sound when the monitor is on if you change the brightness to anything lower than 100%.

- Theres probably more but I don't feel like talking about this thing anymore, I returned it 1 hour after I got it in the mail and got a Samsung 245bw and couldn't be happier.

You told me what? Nobody had any idea if the panel was good or not. The monitor didn't suck because it was a TN panel, it sucked because the TN panel used in it is nowhere near as good as 245bw and 226bw.

So r0ach... I am going to derail this thread for a second.

245bw over the FP241W, support problems or the overscan issue your deciding factor? Just price and the lack of a need on your part for other connection options?

You told me what? Nobody had any idea if the panel was good or not. The monitor didn't suck because it was a TN panel, it sucked because the TN panel used in it is nowhere near as good as 245bw and 226bw.

I think it's just because 28" TN is just a bad idea. Maybe the technology of TN will improve even further than it has, if it has, but the larger the panel the worse the current issues will be. Crappy viewing angles magnified. If they could figure out how to get even 175 degrees hor/vert with TN it might actually work for 28"..

The only thing TN beats are those older nasty TVs that you had to stand dead center to see anything at all. I think the only reason it sells at all is because it's a boon for 22" gamers that can sit in a specific spot for long periods of time and don't want ghosting or any input lag. But for anything else its pretty much a bust until they can improve the angles to be closer to *VA panels at least.

...and got a Samsung 245bw and couldn't be happier.

Waiting for the next 2 threads about the Samsung this time. First one will be a glorifying "review" and then, one week later, the official "245bw sux0rs, R0ach tells you how it is joo n00bs" thread.

Waiting for the next 2 threads about the Samsung this time. First one will be a glorifying "review" and then, one week later, the official "245bw sux0rs, R0ach tells you how it is joo n00bs" thread.

lol. At least that would be some form of consistency. :D

Ah well, at least it's an amusing diversion.

i watched some 720p anime i have (ergo proxy, h264 encoded), it looks spectacular. i also watched the tour de france on sbs HD last night, but the broadcast was in standard def. you could see the compression artifacts, but it looked brilliant. The more i use this monitor the more I like it.

================================

I got this from another forum......based on this it sounds good, so I wonder If Roach received a dud?
Another problem is that I wonder if ole mate compared the Viewsonic to a 8bit LCD of some description.

i watched some 720p anime i have (ergo proxy, h264 encoded), it looks spectacular. i also watched the tour de france on sbs HD last night, but the broadcast was in standard def. you could see the compression artifacts, but it looked brilliant. The more i use this monitor the more I like it.

================================

I got this from another forum......based on this it sounds good, so I wonder If Roach received a dud?
Another problem is that I wonder if ole mate compared the Viewsonic to a 8bit LCD of some description.

Dunno what to tell you man. Theres a lot of dumb people in the world. Probably worst LCD I've ever seen. Also I'm fully capable of calibrating a panel to perfection if that panel has any potential using a spyder2pro and manual RGB adjustments. I calibrated a L246WP to 0.00 difference in peak RGB levels, got the Samsung 245bw down to 0.12 (very respectable for TN panel, many VA panels can't do it). This thing was the most bizarre panel I've ever seen. It could not be calibrated whatsoever and the factory 2.4 gamma or so that it uses would be a huge problem to try and fix for most common noobling lcd buyers.

Dam, Can the Monitor really be that bad ?

You all make it seem like a $ 680.oo doorstop.

Dunno what to tell you man. Theres a lot of dumb people in the world. Probably worst LCD I've ever seen.[ /quote]

This is the problem, some people rave on about certain products{LCD or otherwise}, and I'm left shaking my head thinking I must have missed something....anyway, as I've said, it's mainly HDTV/DVD that puts TN LCD's under pressure[cause they're fine for text and games IMO}.....so the question is, why is this guy singing the Viewsonics praises?

I must say though, I've been following this LCD at a variety of forums, and so far, your ultra negative reaction is all by it's lonesome.

My friend (who works at a comp store) tells me this monitor looks great, I just think he has no idea what hes talking about.

Roach, knowing what you know, why did you opt for TN?

My friend (who works at a comp store) tells me this monitor looks great,?

But is that compared to 8bit panels, including 26-27inch HDTV's?
Because 26-27in TV's are so small, they can produce an awesome PQ, but they all have 8 bit panels.

arcanetripwire said:
In b4 "conformist sheep"... "Unwashed Noobs"... blah blah blah...
Personally, I kind of like these threads. I feel they add character to the forum. If he's a troll, he's something few trolls are: good, and enjoyable.

Roach, knowing what you know
???

3e93b724.jpg

6b45c876.jpg

74970645.jpg

That puts a bit of a damper on my shopping. I was looking at the Viewsonic, but I hate the bezel.

Hanns-G is coming out with this:

http://www.amazon.com/HANNS-G-HG281DPB-Widescreen-LCD-Monitor/dp/B000TJV9KW

Soon'ish. Its in the August Games for Windows magazine Newegg ad.

So should I take Roach's word as gospel and avoid considering a 28" over dual 22"s (which is what I was considering before I saw the Hanns 28") or should I wait and see what other buyers have to say.

Decisions, decisions.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That puts a bit of a damper on my shopping. I was looking at the Viewsonic, but I hate the bezel.

So should I take Roach's word as gospel and avoid considering a 28" over dual 22"s (which is what I was considering before I saw the Hanns 28") or should I wait and see what other buyers have to say.

Decisions, decisions.

You should continue to do your own research and decide for yourself.

the pros
-------------------
- fast pixel response
- there aren't any more

cons
------
- The monitor ships with something like 2.4 gamma, it is insanely dark, the H forum looks like a giant black turd. Even after changing the gamma up to around 2.0 it really doesn't help anything look better.

- Mouse moves around on screen like im trucking along with 30-45ms input lag which is ridiculous for a TN panel, I read something on specs about "3d deinterlacing" or something weird, they probably buffer a frame or 2 for some kind of post processing.

- Horrible black level

- Loud Buzzing sound when the monitor is on if you change the brightness to anything lower than 100%.

- Theres probably more but I don't feel like talking about this thing anymore, I returned it 1 hour after I got it in the mail and got a Samsung 245bw and couldn't be happier.

Big surpise , when is the last time Viewsonic ever made a monitor (even the smaller IPS 20 inchers) that hasn't had its share of major issues. They went from being one of the best to one of the worst. All of there 22+ panels are terrible ..completely terrible.

Decisions, decisions.

How about...NOT getting 22" or 28" TN panels and instead buying ONE quality IPS type panel like a Dell 2007FPW or NEC 20WMGX2? You know, quality over quantity, etc? Or maybe that new 26" Planar or something

My friend (who works at a comp store) tells me this monitor looks great, I just think he has no idea what hes talking about.

Roach, knowing what you know, why did you opt for TN?

In one word - gaming. The 245bw has similar input lag to a w2207 or 226bw, you don't really feel any whereas on a VA panel it bothers the hell out of me. The pixel response on the 245bw is better than the w2207 also, even though they both claim 5ms, the 245bw is definitely faster. Either they are lieing about the w2207 or the 245bw is faster than 5ms. I think it's probably both to be honest, would estimate the w2207 is really pushing 7ms or so and the 245bw is probably pushing 4ms pixel response. The black crush effect on VA panels is also horrible for gaming not to mention just annoying in general. TN panels seem more crisp for reading as well whereas the L246WP was blurry as crap.

The 245bw isn't perfect due to the viewing angle issues but it games just as good as any of the 22inch TN panels and is the only 24-26inch panel thats anywhere near suitable for gaming besides possibly the planar 26" which is double the price.

Back