Does the Samsung 275T support 1:1 over DVI/VGA?

Does anyone know if a Samsung 275T monitor supports 1:1 pixel mapping on:

1) the DVI input?
2) the VGA input?

I called the Samsung help line and no-one on the tech staff knew the answer. There's no mention on the few reviews on the web, and the manual which I downloaded is not clear, though slightly indicates that the DVI port may support this.

I am intending to connect an Xbox 360 Elite to the DVI port with an adapter (don't want to use the component ports, as they are supposedly no good) and my laptop to the VGA port. The Xbox 360 is not able to output 16:10 resolutions at this time (eg: 1920 x 1200) so I'm wondering whether the monitor will stretch the image to fit the whole screen, or has the capability to do 1:1 pixel mapping with thin black bars along the top and bottom. I don't want a stretched image, so I'm hoping there is an option to choose 1:1 over full screen.

Thanks

It will not do one to one pixel mapping over VGA or DVI.

The options over DVI amd VGA are:
4:3
Widescreen (16:10)

Over Component you can do:
4:3
16:9
Widescreen (16:10)

So it is only possible to get 1920x1080 to display 1:1 over component, and even then it doesn't do 1080P over component only 1080i; making it not the a good choice if you are using it for consoles.

For a PC monitor it is great though and if you have a nVidia graphics card you can have it do the various scaling options.

If you want to get a 27'' that will work well with consoles get the Dell 2707, it will do 1:1 over VGA and DVI.

Thanks for the reply, even though you are the bearer of bad news. Well Samsung, that's completely ridiculous. Anyway, if you don't mind me asking, how do you know this information?

I have one, I only use it as a PC monitor though... I have a different monitor for my 360 and other consoles.

I could actually get proper 1:1 scaling out of the 275T if I wanted to since I have a DVDO VP30 which I can use to scale and provide proper 1:1 but it costed a pretty penny for the scaler, my scaler actually costed more than my 27'' Samsung.

In this manual:
http://www.overclockersonline.net/images/articles/samsung/275T/manual/adjusting.htm

Source:
Picture (Analog / Digital : PC)
You can switch the Size.

1) Wide
2) 4:3

Source:
Picture (Digital : Digital DVD/AV/S-Video/Component)
You can switch the Size.

# AV / S-Video : Wide / 16:9 / Zoom1 / Zoom2 / 4:3
# Digital / Component : Wide / 16:9 / 4:3

This isn't talking about the DVI in the last one when it refers to Digital is it?
This manual is what hinted to me it may be possible in the first place.
16:9 would be 1:1 in this case (maybe!) for an Xbox 360 Elite with an HDMI -> DVI adapter.
I am confused as to why it lists Digital twice. Once as a PC input, and then another time as something else.

I suppose you didn't try an Xbox 360 Elite and the HDMI connection? This would be the answer once and for all for me!

Nope I have the premium, and only have the VGA and component cables. The only options I have when I use DVI from my computer are wide and 4:3. It would have to be able to differentiate the source of the DVI to have more options. The only thing I have with an HDMI output is my DVDO VP30 (it can output both HDCP and non-HDCP over HDMI). I will try give it a shot when I get some time, but it requires a quite a bit of work to move my scaler from one monitor to another, since I have it stacked and a couple of things hooked up to it.

I am not overly optimistic that more options would show up when using a HDMI to DVI cable though.

If there is also a chance you could tell me what the image quality is like when you play Xbox 360 over the VGA cable set to 1280x768 (the only 16:10 resolution, so no stretching hopefully) to the Samsung 275T then you would be my hero for at least 12 days. If you had heaps of spare time, if you could set the VGA cable to 1920x1080 and tell me if the image looks too badly stretched, then that would also be great.

Thanks.

At 1280x768 most games look less skewed, but there is the odd game that doesn't crop anything and looks no less skewed at 1280x768 than at 1920x1080. And 1280x768 isn't quite 16:10 it's 166:100. The image quality looks a bit better over VGA than component but you have to deal with the slight vertical stretching. On some games it is hard to tell the difference between 1280x768 vs 1080p, I got a feeling some games run at the same internal resolution regardless and has the 360 just scale to 1080p.

Haven't checked to see if using HDMI to DVI presents any more options yet though.

If you read this about connecting Digital DVD about 2/3rds down:
http://www.overclockersonline.net/images/articles/samsung/275T/manual/connection.htm

And then read this about input about 3/4 down: Picture (Digital : Digital DVD/AV/S-Video/Component)
http://www.overclockersonline.net/images/articles/samsung/275T/manual/adjusting.htm

If you ask me, from reading this, the Samsung would support the correct aspect ratio with Xbox 360 Elite and HDMI->DVI.

Even though it mentions that input from a PC over Digital and VGA only supports 4:3 and wide, later on it mentions Digital from a DVD player as supporting 16:9, which is what I want. I think that an Xbox 360 would support a DVD similar output (eg: because it would also normally be sending to a tv, much as a DVD player would) rather than a PC type output (hence the complaining from people that the Xbox VGA cable doesn't support proper 16:10 resolutions which is what PC monitors use).

What you tried is explained in the manual:
VGA shouldn't have 16:9 from 360 which is what you found.
Connecting a PC over DVI shouldn't have 16:9 which is also what you found.

I'm willing to bet a small dog that a DVD player with an HDMI connection or an Xbox 360 Elite with an HDMI->DVI adapter should get the 16:9 option. The monitor must be able to distinguish between signals.

At least, this is what I'm getting my hopes up about!

I finally had some time to test it with a HDMI->DVI cable with my DVDO VP30 and 16:9 is still a no go. I tried it with HDCP enabled, disabled, various resolutions 1080P, 720P etc... the only options when hooked up through DVI are 4:3 and wide.

That manual is wrong, the writers of it must have have the misuguided belief that component is digital.

Thanks a lot for all your information through this, you've been very helpful. Looks like I'll have to wait on the monitors for the next lot of 27s.

One last thing, what monitor do you use for your Xbox 360?

I'm considering sucking it up, getting the 275T and living with the stretching. I gather that by you using a different monitor for 360 usage, that the stretching is not tolerable on the 275T?

Back