So what to expect coming in the Fall ?

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
The 8800 series is getting gray hair now, coming close to one full year since it has been out with no refresh, and I don't call the Ultra a refresh. Then there is ATI with their newer 2900 series which feels like one year old tech already

So usually in the past both nVidia and ATI have released their brand new generation cards from Sept to Nov time frame. what can we expect in the coming months ?

I know nothing but would guess that nVidia has a 9800GTX in the works to release in November with 1gb memory and clocks close to 1ghz on the highest version ?? I have read rumors of a single 9800GTX being same speed as 2 8800GTX in SLI :cool:

Then ATI I feel bad for right now, I don't know what they would do if there really is a 9800GTX released this year that would just stomp all over the current 2900XT, even a speed bumped 2950XTX I doubt could even compete with a 9800GTX ?? So what does ATI do ??

Nviidia will probably release their refresh in december/january, and ati will probably have something good to go by then, not just a 2950xtx or w/e

You'll probably see the new "G92" around December this year... And ATI's "R700" around June of 08 :eek: :rolleyes:

I could have sworn the word on the street was that for sure nVidia has something coming in November, and it is no coincidence that UT3 will be out at the same time, and Epic and nVidia are in bed together, and I heard Mark Rein from Epic tout how powerful the new game engine is and that you will need the newest and latest hardware to run the game high rez

As for ATI they shouldn't even bother for a 2950XTX, because compared to a 9800GTX or what ever it will be called ATI need's something brand new to compete with that baby

I know nothing but would guess that nVidia has a 9800GTX in the works to release in November with 1gb memory and clocks close to 1ghz on the highest version ?? I have read rumors of a single 9800GTX being same speed as 2 8800GTX in SLI :cool:

You know what's going to happen if that happens... $1000 videocards. Core clocks I very very doubt at 1Ghz, and I am extremely doubtful it would be the same speed as two GTXs.

Lately with nVidia ever since they ame back to power with the 6800Ultra series, every new generation has toped the previous by 2 times. nVidia uses this as their marketing strategy, to say a single brand new card is equal to 2 of last years in SLI, and that is how they push the card to the hardcore crowd.

I bet whenever the 9800GTX or what ever it will be named comes out will be the same speed as 2-8800GTX SLI, but that 9800GTX card may not be here until 2008, and in November we may just end up with an 8900GTX or 8850 thing ??

i DOUBT there will be an nvidia 9 series.

Just imagine.

Nvidia:
9800gtx
9800gts
9600gt
9600gts

ATI:
9800xt
9600pro
9600xt

It would be WAY to confusing for some consumers, so they will probably go with a 7900, im thinking the refresh will actually be more like the 7900gtx was to the 7800gtx.

So in November we will most likely see a 8900GTX which will be maybe like 30-50% faster than a 8800GTX at best ??

But there will be a next generation product coming out, so even if it is 2008, I still think we will see a 9800GTX, or maybe called 9900GTX, at least ATI never used the 9900 name. Also by the time a 9800GTX does come out, the ATI 9800Pro will be ancient history, most average people won't even remember that card name

Speaking of ATI/AMD what are they going to do to compete with an 8900GTX/Ultra do they really have a chance to fight back soon, or have to wait until Summer 2008 for a 3800XTX ??

My Brother want to upgrade from his old 7900GT, I found him a deal on a 8800GTS-640mb for $299 :eek: Said he should take it, now he saying it wouldn't be that much of an improvement over his GT, I said he is smoking crack, and should take this offer A.S.A.P.

Hopefully they don't get really desperate and release two 2900s taped together or something.

Although, duct tape increases performance and transfers heat very well. I would speculate a 37% increase with two 2900s together. Right now, I personally use double sided duct tape to mount my heatsink to my cpu. Works like a charm, and I would definitely bite if they released the 2900 duct tape combo.

NO ONE KNOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S ALL SPECULATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CRIVENS!!!!!!!!!!!

You know what's going to happen if that happens... $1000 videocards. Core clocks I very very doubt at 1Ghz, and I am extremely doubtful it would be the same speed as two GTXs.

The 6800 series offered 1.5-2 times the preformance of the previous gen.
The 7800 series offered 1.5-2 times the preformance of the previous gen.
The 8800 series offered 1.5-2 times the preformance of the previous gen.

So add tweaks, speedbumbs and new tech and I won't be surprised if it gives a 1.5-2 times preformance over the current gen...

My Brother want to upgrade from his old 7900GT, I found him a deal on a 8800GTS-640mb for $299 :eek: Said he should take it, now he saying it wouldn't be that much of an improvement over his GT, I said he is smoking crack, and should take this offer A.S.A.P.

This is sort of OT, but yes, your brother is smoking crack. Tell him to buy that 8800GTS now. I went from 2 voltmodded 7800GTs in SLi to a single 8800GTS-640 and have been very happy with the switch.

Even if nVidia slacked off due to lack of competition, you have to keep in mind that R&D on these GPU's takes at least 2 years, so we wouldn't see half-hearted attempts from them for a while, by which time ATI could very well have another killer card.

Anyway, all news indicates that NV is finally wising up and releasing the mid-range first. Together with the entry-performance segment, mid-range is where 80% of the money is made. It's important to have a fast high-end card because people will psychologically be more inclined to buy that company's mid-ranged (one of the reasons why automakers sponsor motor racing), but the mid-range is where the money is. So we'll likely see a 9600 before a 9800 series. It seems to take a few months after a new architecture launches before we see a new segment, so I'd guess the high-end part should come in Feb-Mar.

I count an 8900 as unlikely at this point. nVidia has been pretty consistent with new architectures every 12 months, and it wouldn't be unprecedented not to have a refresh (the 6 series had no refresh, and neither did the 4 unless you count the Ti4800, which you shouldn't).

I still think in November to expect the next generation nVidia VideoCard, I think it is funny that the next UnrealT.3 game is pushed back to November as well, and Epic are best friends with nVidia, and Mark Rein has gone on record to state the game has extreme graphic's and will need the newest / latest hardware to run it smooth.

Back