Samsung's new TN panel (Bistable Twisted Nematic III)

Nielo TM

Gawd
Hey guys,

I've been researching for a new monitor and came across something very interesting. Apparently, the new Samsung budget panel is called 'Bistable Twisted Nematic III'. From what I've gathered, it seem to have wider viewing angle, faster response time, and higher contrast ratio then standard TN panels, which would explain why the new Samsung and HP models scored high in benchmarks.

Looks like TN panels are finally worth considering lol

"A high-density integrated circuit having a very fast response time has been used as a switching device for the LCD panel. A new mode for the LCD panel is required to keep up with the high-density integrated circuit. For the above-mentioned reason, a bistable twisted nematic (BTN) liquid crystal is introduced. The bistable twisted nematic liquid crystal is a nematic liquid crystal with a chiral dopant. A conventional BTN liquid crystal display panel is superior to the conventional simple matrix addressing liquid crystal panel such as an STN liquid crystal panel. For example, the BTN has characteristics of a wide viewing angle, a fast response time, and a high contrast ratio."

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6847418-description.html

samsungsdihg8.jpg

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/lcdpanel/productList.do?upper_fmly_id=603&fmly_id=609

Exactly what I have been saying forever

Samsung TN panels > Gay VA panels

that's the most idiotic thing i've ever heard on these boards.

color reproduction? VA wins.

viewing angles? VA STILL wins.

not to mention that no manufacturer is going to make a monitor with a TN panel built well enough to not have any backlight bleed.

i'll take my dell gay-VA panel over your crappy ass samsung TN any day.

that's the most idiotic thing i've ever heard on these boards.

color reproduction? VA wins.

viewing angles? VA STILL wins.

not to mention that no manufacturer is going to make a monitor with a TN panel built well enough to not have any backlight bleed.

i'll take my dell gay-VA panel over your crappy ass samsung TN any day.

Color reproduction, no a VA doesn't win because you can't see a goddamn thing on the screen after you set the monitor for 2.2gamma due to black crush effect (which EVERY VA panel has) and if you use 1.8 gamma then everything will be washed out thus making the color crappy no matter what you do to it. Talk to any artist thats used a VA panel and they will tell you they returned it. When I had one even using a 2.0 gamma I'd try and play a FPS and even after cranking the in-game brightness to obscene levels if someone was standing in shadows they may as well be invisible. So no a VA panel doesn't do good color period. It really doesn't do anything good except have better viewing angles than a TN panel.

"not to mention that no manufacturer is going to make a monitor with a TN panel built well enough to not have any backlight bleed."

Wow thats funny because my 245bw has 0 on the top, 0 in the middle, and such a small amount on the bottom that it doesn't even matter. My L246wp VA panel had none on the edges but had it in the middle/left which is the worst.

IPS > Samsung TN > VA > CMO/AU/3rd world country TN panels

Sorry to all you idiots that bought Dell VA panels.

Back