Untangle

Farva

Extremely [H]
I was talking with a friend on how to find out why my swap space was filled on my IPCop machine and told him I was thinking of installing and using Endian instead. He said he much prefers Endian over all the other linux firewalls and then mentioned Untangle. I was wondering how many other people have heard of it and if you have, how does it perform?

Never seen this piece of software before, looks quite nice but I doubt that I will be moving away from Endian anytime soon, the new 2.1.2 fixed all my little bugs and it does everything that it says on the tin.

One thing I do notice about untangle is that the download is a rather large 467mb and the recomended specs are 2GHz and 1-2GB RAM, pretty high for a gateway device.

Endian is my favorite...I'll have to come back and read through this one when I have time. Looks interesting. Endian is built on top of IPCop...with the Copfilter add-in...in a more polished package than IPCop w/Copfilter. This one looks like the same deal..just with a sort of "kiddie arcade like" skin to it. But I love trying different *nix routers..I'll have to give this one a go.

Never seen this piece of software before, looks quite nice but I doubt that I will be moving away from Endian anytime soon, the new 2.1.2 fixed all my little bugs and it does everything that it says on the tin.

One thing I do notice about untangle is that the download is a rather large 467mb and the recomended specs are 2GHz and 1-2GB RAM, pretty high for a gateway device.

Yes, the system requirements look rather high, but it doesn't seem terrible with everything that is in it. I've tried looking up system requirements for Endian, but I am unable to find it. :(

Endian is my favorite...I'll have to come back and read through this one when I have time. Looks interesting. Endian is built on top of IPCop...with the Copfilter add-in...in a more polished package than IPCop w/Copfilter. This one looks like the same deal..just with a sort of "kiddie arcade like" skin to it. But I love trying different *nix routers..I'll have to give this one a go.

Yes, please let me know. There are thing in Untangle that intrigued me more than the others.

This looks really interesting, I think im going to give it a try when I get some extra time.

Yes, the system requirements look rather high, but it doesn't seem terrible with everything that is in it. I've tried looking up system requirements for Endian, but I am unable to find it. :(

Similar to IPCop...actually I found it ran faster than IPCop...but comparing against IPCop with the Copfilter add-on. You'll want a P3 of later vintage, with 384 or more megs of RAM. I ran both on a P3 733 with 256....noticed RAM was pegged. I took the hard drive and moved it to a P4 2.4, 512 megs...and it ran like greased lightening..much snappier. RAM usage of Endian on that box hovered around 320 megs. Looking on the Untangle Wiki ...they recommend starting with 800MHz/512 megs for their package. Their package seems very similar to Endian...I haven't found what it's build on (Endian is built on IPCop, and consists of additional components that Copfilter adds to IPCop)..

I know people say linux distro routers will run on any prehistoric PC..like a first gen pentium with 64 megs or whatever. Yeah, the boring ones like Smoothwall or m0n0wall.which are really just NAT boxes. But these UTM transparent proxy distros that do scanning 'n Snort 'n other cool features...they need a bit more nut because they're doing much more.

Similar to IPCop...actually I found it ran faster than IPCop...but comparing against IPCop with the Copfilter add-on. You'll want a P3 of later vintage, with 384 or more megs of RAM. I ran both on a P3 733 with 256....noticed RAM was pegged. I took the hard drive and moved it to a P4 2.4, 512 megs...and it ran like greased lightening..much snappier. RAM usage of Endian on that box hovered around 320 megs. Looking on the Untangle Wiki ...they recommend starting with 800MHz/512 megs for their package. Their package seems very similar to Endian...I haven't found what it's build on (Endian is built on IPCop, and consists of additional components that Copfilter adds to IPCop)..

I know people say linux distro routers will run on any prehistoric PC..like a first gen pentium with 64 megs or whatever. Yeah, the boring ones like Smoothwall or m0n0wall.which are really just NAT boxes. But these UTM transparent proxy distros that do scanning 'n Snort 'n other cool features...they need a bit more nut because they're doing much more.

And it wouldn't be too hard to implement either. I mean, Dell has "open source Dell" machines for less than $300. Then you can throw in some extra memory in there for it.

I agree that these new generation UTM distros need more firepower but 2GHz and 2GB ram strikes me as a little too much, I know thats not scientific reasoning but considering most peoples home computers arent as powerful its a little overkill.

That said it does look like an interesting solution but I am failing to see any distict advantages over Endian when looking at the website. I, and I am sure many others, would love to hear when one of the [H]ard tests it out, after all anything new and better can only be good.

My current firewall is a Pentium D 925 with 1GB ram because it was the cheapest Dell server with a service contract so I its not like I am against using powerful machines as firewalls the problem I have is that requiring resources that high semi-implies inefficency.

I agree that these new generation UTM distros need more firepower but 2GHz and 2GB ram strikes me as a little too much, I know thats not scientific reasoning but considering most peoples home computers arent as powerful its a little overkill.

Well the 2 gigs of RAM requirement is under the column for 300+ users. I don't see where they say "2 GHz" though...recommended starts at P4 equiv or higher..and P4's started at 1.5 or 1.6GHz if I recall. You do want this thing scanning e-mail files (which, in a business, can consist of rather large attachments) in system RAM...not writing them to disk to scrub).

Similar to Endian, this is aimed at being a business edge device, not home user. Notice their system requirement charts start at "up to 50 users"..and go up from there.

The malware blocking, and especialy the SPAM removal features...do seem several steps above Endian. Plus the Pro version adds SSL VPN (clientless web browser based).

Back