Q6600: Not Impress

ASIA911

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, I've finally went out and bought the Q6600 thinking it will totally double my E6600 for my rendering.

To my dismay, I'm shocked that it didn't blow away my E6600.

I render a scene from a file on this site

My E6600 at 3.0 GHz rendered the scene at 1min 11sec
at 2.4GHz it took 1min 25sec

My Q6600 at 2.758GHz rendered the scene at 1min 11sec
Even if I did OC to 3.0GHz, I think it will only give me another 11 shave off which I don't think it's good at all.

What a disappointment so far.

But I don't get it. It's using Mental Ray. It's a pretty complex scene.

Ok, I've finally went out and bought the Q6600 thinking it will totally double my E6600 for my rendering.

To my dismay, I'm shocked that it didn't blow away my E6600.

I render a scene from a file on this site

My E6600 at 3.0 GHz rendered the scene at 1min 11sec
at 2.4GHz it took 1min 25sec

My Q6600 at 2.758GHz rendered the scene at 1min 11sec
Even if I did OC to 3.0GHz, I think it will only give me another 11 shave off which I don't think it's good at all.

What a disappointment so far.
A 25% increase in clock speed netted a 20% increase in performance on the E6600. The Q6600 with a 8% reduction in speed serves up OCed E6600 performance. So, you'd probably only knock off 4-5sec @ 3.0GHz on the Q6600 (~6% improvement). There is obviously a law-of-diminishing-returns for most things of this nature. Optimizations will help, but there is always going to be a point where raw power is of greater benefit.

That being said, try a benchmark that is going to give a more noticeable index of improvement. 1m11s vs 1m24s is minor - look for something that'll take longer than 5-10min on the E6600 and see how the new chip compares.

-bZj

If the software being tested isn't optimized for quad cores you won't see much improvement, I'm telling this over and over again, for non optimized quadcore software and gaming in general (besides some new upcoming titles) there's little advantage going to a quadcore and I still want to see real numbers instead of estimates claiming the quad will run the software 50% faster, I don't buy that....

Well if you compare 71 secs vs eg 60 ( if you clock the Q6600 at 3Ghz ) that's already a very big gain mate, what did you expect 35 secs ?

The proof is in the numbers..........:eek:
And not just someone typing them in, screen shots are almost the truth...............:D

Maybe you should try rendering with the quad core while running some other programs in the background. If it renders at the close to the same speed it is probably not a quad core optimized program.

Dont know how maya is, but i know when I used to use 3dsmax, you had to go in to the options and specify if you wanted the renderer to take advantage of multiple threads.

Dont know how maya is, but i know when I used to use 3dsmax, you had to go in to the options and specify if you wanted the renderer to take advantage of multiple threads.

I'm such an idiot. Under Maya 8.5 setting Render Current Frame, it uses all 4 Threads. I'm not sure if it's using all 4 threads since it render exactly the same time 1min 11sec and my Maya 7.1 which was using only 2 Threads render it exactly the same time.

So I went into Maya 7.1 and under Render Current Frame and change the Number of Rendering Threads to Use from 2 to 4. Now my render time is 41sec!!!! So it's 30sec faster!

Still not sure why Maya 8.5 rendering it at 1min 11sec using all 4 threads or I believe it's using all 4 threads or maybe not.

Pull up your task manager and check the CPU load when rendering in Maya 8.5 to see how many cores it is using.

Pull up your task manager and check the CPU load when rendering in Maya 8.5 to see how many cores it is using.

It's using all 4 cores. Since Maya 8.5 is a 64bit version. Must be the file not compatible with Maya since I think this is a Maya 7 file.

It's using all 4 cores. Since Maya 8.5 is a 64bit version. Must be the file not compatible with Maya since I think this is a Maya 7 file.

You should try a file created in Maya 8.5. I guarantee you the case is what you stated here - it's the file.

Maybe you should try rendering with the quad core while running some other programs in the background. If it renders at the close to the same speed it is probably not a quad core optimized program.

+1

I've actually been encoding video, hosting a World in Conflict and CS:S server and playing BF2142 without any program suffering with the Q6600. My E6850 would give me slowdown at times while online. Given I don't do this often, but now I know what the processor can really do, true multitasking :).

Back